AudioQuest NightOwl - A closed-back NightHawk
Jun 29, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #2,433 of 2,528
Thanks! I used to own the Nighthawk so it seems like they are very similar to Nightowl.
Nightowl is a tad more forward, with more forward and treble. I have Nighthawk, Nighthawk Carbon, and Nightowl

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #2,434 of 2,528
Is the Nightowl dark-sounding?
I thought so. The upper frequencies are subdued- especially when using the stock cable. Ironically, I think this contributes to why many like them as it makes them forgiving of problems with the source material or associated gear. I moved on to Dan Clark Aeon Noires, which I think are better in every way.

Jun 30, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #2,435 of 2,528
Nightowl is a tad more forward, with more forward and treble. I have Nighthawk, Nighthawk Carbon, and Nightowl
To my ears it is the exact opposite. The NightHawks sound significantly more forward in the low and upper treble. The NightOwls never fatigue, the Nighthawks do occassionaly.

Jun 30, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #2,436 of 2,528
To my ears it is the exact opposite. The NightHawks sound significantly more forward in the low and upper treble. The NightOwls never fatigue, the Nighthawks do occassionaly.
Interesting. With my Hawks I always have to raise the volume up another 5 or so steps to get the vocals to where they are on the Owls

Jun 30, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #2,437 of 2,528
Interesting. With my Hawks I always have to raise the volume up another 5 or so steps to get the vocals to where they are on the Owls
I use the Boost pads on my NightOwls and the micro suede pads on the NightHawks with the intention to play to their strengths. The NightHawks were indeed more laid-back when I first got them and I didn't like the Boost pads on them, I wanted to emphasize their smooth character with the micro suede pads. But over time the Hawks got brighter and brighter. Not that they are broken or anything, the tonality is still there but a lot more aggressive than they once were.
Which pads do you use?

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #2,438 of 2,528
I use the Boost pads on my NightOwls and the micro suede pads on the NightHawks with the intention to play to their strengths. The NightHawks were indeed more laid-back when I first got them and I didn't like the Boost pads on them, I wanted to emphasize their smooth character with the micro suede pads. But over time the Hawks got brighter and brighter. Not that they are broken or anything, the tonality is still there but a lot more aggressive than they once were.
Which pads do you use?
I have a NH original as well as a NH Carbon. I was able to get a second pair of hybrid pads years ago as well. The pads are beat to hell, yet they maintain their wonderful smooth character along with the bass present in the boost pads. So for me it's hybrid pads on the NH and boost pads on the NO. I played around with all 3 pads on both and felt this was the best for each. NO sounds more like a "normal" headphone, has a touch more low end than NH and the more forward treble with the boost pads does the best to separate the two cans as much as possible. I really love both. I always say I'm gonna upgrade my cans, but still hesitate and feel better spending money elsewhere 🤷‍♂️.

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #2,439 of 2,528
Ok so I am back at my cottage, haven't heard the Nighthawks for a year. Sounds good? Yes. Comfortable? Yes. (Do I like Steven Wilson remixes? So so. Some of them but the Yes originals remain my go-to too).
Testing 10cc How dare you, DSD recording from LP on my main rig, using the Fiio X3ii. Is it good? Well, not bad. Analog sound through native DSD. Comparing also with the Fiio playing to the NH direct, or through the little Denon DA-10 amp. With the amp in the circuit, there is more oomph and power, but the sound is not as precise (maybe due to a poor cable between the units). I end up thinking, the NH doesnt really need this, sounds better from the Fiio itself. The musical drama of How dare you is certainly well represented. I am not aware of specific frequency problems. The music feels coherent. I can enjoy these headphones longer than my Senn 600 or AKG 701. Although I am a speaker guy.

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #2,440 of 2,528
Test 2, RVG: Nothing ever changes, streaming from Qobuz through Huaway P30 pro phone. Again, the Nighthawk sounds good direct from the phone, but this time, the benefit of the Denon amp in the chain is clearer. More drama, oomph.

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #2,441 of 2,528
I picked up second hand Nightowl's a couple of years ago. Currently I run them directly from my M1 MacBook Pro with Flac files, or my iPhone dongle with aac (because I have had not time to figure out best way to do phone audiio).

Any the question what is the best bang for buck way to step up the sound quality and as a separate answer what would be the cheapest upgrade worth getting? A slight preference for something more portable.

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #2,442 of 2,528
I picked up second hand Nightowl's a couple of years ago. Currently I run them directly from my M1 MacBook Pro with Flac files, or my iPhone dongle with aac (because I have had not time to figure out best way to do phone audiio).

Any the question what is the best bang for buck way to step up the sound quality and as a separate answer what would be the cheapest upgrade worth getting? A slight preference for something more portable.
@kreggurree get second hand original Chord Mojo just ensure that either battery is ok or you can easly get a replacement. Another option is to buy Mojo 2 but this one is more expensive. Both Mojos have great synergy with AudioQuest cans and Mojo 2 DSP can be worth additional cost if you like to EQ a bit elevating sound SQ another notch or so.

Jul 13, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #2,443 of 2,528

How portable do you need? Something like a wireless Bluetooth amp/dac such as a Fiio BTR7? Or something more transportable like a brick such as the Chord Mojo or Fiio Q7?

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #2,444 of 2,528

If you can get hold of them (big if) the AQ hybrid pads open up the mids on these big time. Really gorgeous sound signature with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back