Audioquest Dragonfly doesn't work with >44.1Khz audio files
Dec 15, 2012 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

syrou

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm writing here in order to find someone that has come to the same problem as me. Last week I bought an Audioquest Dragonfly and it worked great with various sources and bitrates. But yesterday when trying my new HD650 headphones with the Dragonfly, it stopped working with audio files and stream radios with a bit rate greater than 44.1Khz.

Have tried with direct Windows drivers, with ASIO, in a Windows 8 and an XP, and still nothing. Even tried with a Macbook Pro and same results.

I am almost convinced it is some kind of hardware failure, so next week I will go to the shop for an exchange. But what worries me most is if I have done something wrong while using the Dragonfly. For example, removing the USB device with the computer on, or plugging my new HD650 headphones in it.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 10
I would like to add a recent discovery. Dragonfly being able to play files of 48, 88.2 or 96Khz depends on it's own position inside the USB port. If I push it upwards a bit, sound starts coming out, but as soon as I leave pushing, the sound stops. This odd behaivour does not reproduce with 44.1Khz files.

So I'm almost sure it's a hardware issue in the Dragonfly, but what fascinates me is that it depends on the resolution of the file. How can it be so?

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi,  This is my first post.

Syrou I think it is a hardware issue.

I bought mine a month ago. It was working fine until yesterday. It fails after 50 seconds of playing. The player runs though but no sound. If I unplug it and plug is again it run another 3 seconds and the sound cuts while the player still running. A third time gives no sound at all. This is same behavior for Windows 7 and Mac.

Anyone else has this issue?

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Hi,  This is my first post.

Syrou I think it is a hardware issue.

I bought mine a month ago. It was working fine until yesterday. It fails after 50 seconds of playing. The player runs though but no sound. If I unplug it and plug is again it run another 3 seconds and the sound cuts while the player still running. A third time gives no sound at all. This is same behavior for Windows 7 and Mac.

Anyone else has this issue?

Does it happen with every distinct resolution audio file? If you move the dongle inside the USB port, does the sound come back?

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
Does it happen with every distinct resolution audio file? If you move the dongle inside the USB port, does the sound come back?

Now I tried it with both 44.1Khz and 24/96Khz. It loses the sound after a while. If I unplug is and replug it again into the USB port the sound comes back for 2-3 seconds and then it is silent again. If I do a third time then there is no sound. I tried it with another headset and it is the same behavior. Obviously Hardware issue.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 10
in contrast, my DF cannot play 24 bit, 44.1kHz in windows
but it can play some pink noise only
i need to set to 48kHz to be normal sound, is there any method i can use 44.1kHz?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back