AudioPrism QuietLine Power Filters
Nov 2, 2001 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Here is a very inexpensive tweak that is really quite effective:

Improved version II now available with 10bd more noise reduction, you buy 6-8 of these and create a "quiet zone" around your stereo system. Put them in the unused outlet of duplex wall outlet, used with an inexpensive Monster HTS2000 ($120 on the net) is very effective for stereo system. Place one with Monster outlet and use several for outlets on either side of stereo on same electrical circuit (quiet zone). Be sure and use in other outlets with stuff that puts a lot of noise in your electric line ie: computer, TV, refrigerator etc. Does not limit power in any way, and can be used with other PLCs. For $300 you can buy Monster HTS2000 and 6-7 Quietlines and you will get 50% of improvement that $1200 PS Audio P300 delivers with none of the negatives.

Check out this discussion at Audiogon about quietlines:
http://audiogo5.iserver.net/cgi-bin/...5004&read&3&4&

I bought 8 and am very pleased with the results, very cost effective tweak. I got a set of 8 for $179 at Galen Carol, or you can buy for $25 each from elusive disc. Need at least 4-5 to work (quiet zone creation), and 8 is ideal for typical stereo/home.
http://www.gcaudio.com/gcasteals.html

Nov 3, 2001 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 10
Russ andrews in uk does something similar called "The Silencer" Costs a very reasonable £40.00 and is very effective. Plug it in next to the fridge or other similar item and it stops the noise getting back to the hifi. You can also use them around the house.

www.russandrews.com

Nov 4, 2001 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Hm, I wonder how do they compare to these CDN$5 ea I picked from local surplus store yesterday:

filter_box_small.jpg

Actually, they don't compare. The stuff you're mentioning doesn't take load, it filters the whole outlet where it's connected. Much easier to use and cost-effective. Looks like interesting stuff.

There is interest, Rick
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2001 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 10
what you show aos is a line filter that preceeds a componant.What the above is,is a filter that plugs into an AC outlet in parallel to remove garbage injected into the line from other devices such as televisions,computers,refridgerators,microwaves,et c.They are not in any way attached to the audio device.
Actually a rather cool concept because line filters can change the sound of certain componants for the worse,not better.They sometimes beat down the dynamics.I have no idea WHY that happens but have actually experienced it on my system,mostly with power amps.All digital devices and some line level devices seem to benefit from the inline filter.Another reason to go with separates-add what you need where you need it.
Links in a few.................

Nov 4, 2001 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Here is a little more info about Quietlines, although really go to link I posted at Audiogon for most detailed discussion.
http://www.fullswing.com/audioprism/quietlines.html

Don't be like me, I dismissed these for a long time and just used various local PLCs for stereo system, after checking Audiogon discussion I ordered a set of 8 to try.......wish I would have done this long ago.

Nov 5, 2001 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 10
There's no reason to dismiss these, filtering is not black magic or audiophile snake oil. If you have very well designed power supply in your components, they already have something like that inside. Most voltage regulators loose regulation at several hundred kHz and a filter will be a welcome addition to clean up the noise, EMI and RFI that comes on the line and would otherwise pass straight through the regulators largely unscratched. I can't honestly say I've noticed difference with these filters in my system but then my DAC is 3/4 power supplies anyway and has massive L/R/C filters inside so I didn't expect much change. I think I *might* have noticed difference with my CD player, but I didn't notice any with the power amp.

rick: yeah, I realized after posting that these are quite different, and better in a way since they cover all the outlets attached to them. Line filter on the other hand probably does have the advantage of isolating that unit a little better from all the other units attached to the same power strip.

Nov 9, 2001 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 10
for the link Rickster. Enough interesting information in there to make me bookmark that one. It inspired me to buy a set of three Enacom filters. Over the next month or so I will also buy some of the Audioprisms and do a little DIY for comparison. The only thing better than tweaking is listening to music when your tweaking
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back