Audiophonic Gaming Headsphone / Microphone?
Apr 30, 2014 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Validus

New Head-Fier
I guess some of you guys will know your stuff around Headphones and microphones?

Basically using it mainly for gaming however, rather than recording.

My really old Headphones broke, so replaced them with the Logitech G35. But currently hating them. I'm looking to return the Logitech G35 Headset due to it using USB and bypassing my sound card. It also has an issue with making a low 'eeeeeee' sound in the left speaker when the microphone is active but not being used. I also want to get something real which makes good use of my audiophile hardware.

I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD audiophile sound card which I love, hate everything 'Sound Blaster' except for this!

It has either 3.5mm Mini Plug Digital Optical or standard 3.5 mm jacks as an option. Produces 5.1 Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect (currently set on).

Currently I have interest in either:

Beyerdynamic MMX 300-II - which has Audiophile Stereo 2.0, can this still sound surround?

or

Turtle Beach Ear Force XP SEVEN - which I might be able to use the Digital Optical Dolby 5.1, would this be better due to my card?

or

similar as above, but maybe separate Headphones from microphone?

Anyone else also use their Headphones for gaming purposes, familiar with these or something better? Thanks in advance!

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 17
Hi there,

I'd personally avoid the Turtle Beaches as they're better suited for console gamers. I don't believe your sound card offers Dolby Headphone or Creative's own stimulated surround sound tech for headphones? So maybe use software such as Razer Surround (I personally prefer this over Dolby Headphone) with the Beyerdynamics?

Keep in mind though that the MMX300 is basically their DT770 headphone (32 ohm ver) with a microphone attached. So you could save a bit of money going with an external microphone.

For gaming I use(d) my Creative Aurvana Live! with either Razer Surround on PC, or Dolby Headphone through my Victor SU-DH1 on consoles.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #3 of 17
Keep in mind though that the MMX300 is basically their DT770 headphone (32 ohm ver) with a microphone attached. So you could save a bit of money going with an external microphone.

Agreed.

Most people here avoid gaming headsets. Check out this gaming headphone guide: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-4-17-2014-akg-k612-and-k712-pro-added-edits

Open headphones will give you the best soundstage for gaming because of the bigger soundstage. It will make the virtual surround of your sound card sound even better :)

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 17
Thanks for your replies...

The only real interest leading me towards the Turtle Beach Seven XP was due to the fact I might be able to use the console digital optical connection on the PC instead and run it via real 5.1 Dolby Digital, rather than some USB emulated rubbish. It's a toss up on if that's even possible to do and will work as expected, etc.

Open headphones do sound better, but for my parent's sake might stick with a closed set?

Still considering the MMX300. Get rid of the USB part which kills it's quality and instead directly connect to the sound card via the 3.5mm jacks? Stereo 2.0 (large speakers) will probably still sound better than 5.1 surround (tiny speakers)?

I would be keen on the DT770 or DT880 with separate microphone, however the computer stores here doesn't seem to sell any good microphone separately. The 'Blue Microphones Yeti' I could possibly get elsewhere sounds awesome, but USB connected and would end up costing me more. A clip on mic is really hard for me to tell if it will be good or not.

The sound card's actual headphone output features 117dB, 24-bit/96kHz, and 33 (0.006% THD) to 330 (0.001% THD) ohms. So is it worth getting higher ohms for the headphone?

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 17
This will probably get shot down immediately, but the best sounding gaming headset on the cheap is definitely the Creative Fatal1ty HS-800. Tyll even has a graph for it over at InnerFidelity. Looks like your budget is greater though. Right now I'm using a Hero modded, HD555-pad-replaced PC350 and I love it. I would check out Sennheiser's gaming line if you are prepared to spend as much as buying the MMX300. One of my friends has the Beyer and it is essentially a DT770.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 17
The only real interest leading me towards the Turtle Beach Seven XP was due to the fact I might be able to use the console digital optical connection on the PC instead and run it via real 5.1 Dolby Digital, rather than some USB emulated rubbish.

I don't know what you mean by "USB emulated rubbish," (I'm not sure you understand USB DACs) but the Turtle Beach is using virtual surround. You aren't getting "real 5.1 Dolby Digital." As far as I can tell, it's a stereo headset. Almost all the gaming headsets are, and then they use DSP just like you would use with a soundcard and regular set of headphones. The gaming headphone market is a lot of hype, and there are a lot of gamers going around proclaiming things to be true, based on that hype, without any experience with anything other than their gaming headsets. LOL

My advice is forget everything you think you know, and listen to what gaming head-fiers tell you :)

If you have a door to your room, open headphones shouldn't bother your parents. Not going to be any louder than a pair of closed headphones laying on your desk playing into the air. There is a reason why open headphones score so much better on competitive gaming in the Mad Lust Envy thread. If you are serious gamer, you want to go open if at all possible.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 17
But, the OP already has virtual surround support on his sound card. I don't know why he needs a USB headset to begin with. I play all my games with Dolby Headphone enabled on my Xonar DG, works great.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 17
But, the OP already has virtual surround support on his sound card. I don't know why he needs a USB headset to begin with. I play all my games with Dolby Headphone enabled on my Xonar DG, works great.

Good point. He would be paying a lot for the DAC, headphone amp, and virtual surround processing in the Turtle Beach. Given the reputation of the Titanium HD, odds are it's probably not even as good a DAC/amp.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #9 of 17
Correct Metal571, that's why I'm planning on returning/replacing it.
I want to get rid of USB Headsets builtin sound and make more use of my actual sound card.

I will tell you from what I can tell about my sound card, Sound Baster doesn't normally do a very good and the low end ones seriously suck. I wouldn't recommend the standard X-Fi, or even the Fatal1ty from them, etc. However, I've found the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD to be a major exception! This is very high-end. It's an amazing audiophonic sound card when setup correctly. My box set speakers, I'm extremely happy with. Just need Dolby or Stereo headphones and microphone now to work well with it for night time gaming and team chat. Currently my USB Headset bypasses the sound card all together. My extremely old, now broken headphone even sound like much higher quality professional one with crystal clear voice, against the current replacement blurry, buzzing Logitech G35 Headset on USB - therefore pretty such it's all due to the sound card. I think the sound card has Burr-Brown DAC?

This is the card here I believe:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/creative-labs-x-fi-titanium-hd-pci-e

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #10 of 17
Doesn't your soundcard have EAX and THX? Why do you need Dolby Headphone instead? That's virtual surround sound support. Your setup seems ready to go. All you need is a set of headphones.

So go pick out some headphones from Mad Envy's review list :)

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 17
Okay, that's what I wasn't sure about - yes, it can support both EAX, CMSS-3D and has extremely good THX with a low distortion. So Stereo 2.0 will still make good use of them I assume, compared to 5.1 surround speakers in the headphones, it's probably a better choice?

That list is being quite helpful too. Cheers.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 17
Almost ALL of the gaming headphones are stereo headphones and they use some kind of DSP like Dolby Headphone to simulate surround. I tried to tell you that above. It's all marketing hype that makes it sound like they are using 5.1 speakers in headphones. LOL

But you can ask in that Mad Lust Envy thread what they think of those Turtle Beach Ear Force XP Seven. Let them know you already have the Titanium HD, and I'm sure they'll ask you why in the heck you would want to buy that Turtle Beach headset :)

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 17
TV... media... teacher... lying to me? Can't be... next you'll be telling me the US Government is corrupt, controlling, and simply brainwashing it's citizens!

Yeah, your most likely right, looking too much at the marketing hype and stereo headphones would be much better quality. Guess it makes sense: larger higher quality speakers vs many tiny ones. Thank you.

Most likely head towards the DT770 or DT880 with separate microphone.
Or just the MMX 300, if I can't find a descend mic, since currently on sale.

The AKG K712 Pro look really nice for open headphones, but will cost more and still require getting a mic.

I've at least crossed off quite a few from the original list to narrow down what I really need/after.

May 1, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 17
Separate headphones and mic are the best option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back