Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Sound Cards › Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-E

Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-E

Rated #2 in Sound Cards

Pros: Crystal clear sound, hear things you couldn't even notice before in your music and games

Cons: Few connection ports (4 digital optical and then just 2x 3.5mm jacks for headphones)

Ingame shotgun sound from behind actually freaked me out first time I heard it and had to check my back!

If you want a sound card, then go high-end or not at all. The motherboard inbuilt ones can do sometimes better than cheap soundcards. This one is a bit more expensive, but very high-end and will make a huge difference! You will be left to wonder how you lived without. Crystal clear sound, hear things you couldn't even notice before in your music and games.

Very satisfied with the card and it looks reasonably well built too, zero issues but software could of been better.

Ensure correct setup for best quality sounds. Set on DTS Connect encoder seems to work best. You can disable and ignore X-Fi Crystalizer.

Pros: A Good All Rounder - Music, Gaming, Movie...

After my E-MU 0404 USB that serve my workstation @ China dying (I'm using E-MU 1820m back in Singapore), I was thinking of buying another E-MU products. But when I try to look around, the choices is slim at China and the price is high.

There is two choices here - either going to Creative products or opt for Asus products.

I would like to try out Asus products, but I am TOO familiar with Creative products, knowing the strength and the weakness of each product, thus at the end I purchased the X-Fi Titanium HD - which is possibly the best product if someone looking for an all rounder. And to be honest, I do not know how long will Creative continue producing this product, that is another reason I bought this card.

You can find all the comments on the Sound Quality of this soundcard all over the internet so I will not comment much about this. Further more, sound quality is very personal and subjective - some preferred punchier bass and some preferred more high or warmer sound, add up different cans having different sound signature.

I listened to FM Acoustic system once, it taught me one thing: Music is for listening and to entertain me.

To me, equipment is for me to enjoy the music, not to analyze the frequency spectrum - no, I am not saying the objective measurement is not important. But most of the recent cards are measured pretty well and it is up to the users how to mix and match for their preference.

To me, equipment is a Tool - Knowing your Tool will help you to understand how to setup your preferred sound.

Thus, my comment is: This is a very Powerful soundcard - probably the MOST powerful soundcard (no, not about output power but the features) since it utilize 20K2 chips, plus hardware SRC, etc. Too bad the potentials are not fully explore. Who to blame? Microsoft? Creative themselves? Game Developers? Or the Users?

Pros: Great Piece of Kit if you happen to use your computer to fulfill your audio cravings

Cons: None that I could think of....

It did what it supposed to do....and some...

I mainly use headphone, speaker I just use my onboard and use windows settings to switch from the TIHD to onboard realtek 889 codec.

Burr-Brown DAC plus the National amplifiers, awesome!! Shines every headphone I plug it into....

After getting a dedicated headphone amp, I stopped using the HEADPHONE Out and switched to the Line Out instead...using a dedicated amplifier, the sound somewhat becomes a bit tame. The harshness of the treble gone, bass was tighter and soundstage didn't sound like cave-like-feedback.

All in all, I love it...I don't use the Creative Control Center, I just use the driver and ASIO on foobar to listen to FLACs or CDA

No hissing, everything was quieter (does this card has Noisegate :p )

Although it also comes with 3D Audio processing bla bla bla, I just off it...off everything that might 'color' the sound. So no Crystalizer or Hall effects for me...

To those who are in doubt between this and the Asus Essence STX, might I say their both produce similiar performance if not identical.

Pros: Price, sound quality

Cons: Hardware switch in headphone output disables other output sources making switching back and forth between headphones and speakers a pain

I am not a seasoned Audiophile and not fully comfortable with all the terms used by reviewers here yet, so I am going to refrain from commenting on this soundcard in too technical terms.

What I will say is that Creative went all out with this board.  Determined to fix their poor reputation among audiophiles they threw quality components at this board, and it shows in the sound quality.

In the past with other sound cards from creative, system noise has been a problem.   This board is perfectly quiet.  With my ears I can not discern any noise/hum/pitch coming from the computer at all, regardless of conditions.  It probably helps that I have premium components in the machine that don't give off as much noise as cheaper computer components, but the sound card gets credit for being fully enclosed in some sort of shielded cover.

The card apparently uses a Burr-Brown 24-bit 192KHz delta-sigma stereo DAC.  This chip is apparently also used in high end CD players like Cary Audio Design's CD 306 and Halcro's EC800. The Op-amps are replacable if you like to tweak your gear, but the included two National LME49710 high performance, high fidelity op-amps sound great to me.

The line level RCA outputs on the back sound good to me, as does the dedicated headphone jack, capable of driving up to 300ohm cans according to the spec sheet.  With my 80Ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's the sound quality is fantastic, though I find that my comfortable listening volume is somewhere from 35-40%, so someone with higher impedance cans may find it a little weak.

I have not yet tried the digital output, but since it bypasses the on board DAC, I don't expect any surprises there.

My biggest gripe with this sound card is that in the name of sound quality a physical switch in the rear headphone jack turns off all other analog outputs.  I appreciate Creative trying to care about sound quality, but at the same time this is a huge pain.   What this means is that every time I want to switch from headphones to speakers, I have to crawl under my desk, and disconnect the headphones from the back of the computer.  This isn't just a pain, but I can see how over time this may wear out the headphone jack to the point where the solder joints to the board weaken.

To solve this I plan on getting a Schiite Asgard headphone amp and connect it to the line level RCA outs, as well as splitting the output with RCA Y splitters so I can still get sound to my speakers.

Drivers are rock solid.   No problems like we experienced back in the early Vista days with creative products.  Control menus could be better laid out and easier to understand, and a built in equalizer would have been nice (heck, maybe it's there somewhere, but I just haven't found it yet).

To sum it up, I think its a great value at $150 with a good enough DAC to listen to music on good headphones, at the same time as having all that EAX stuff on it for the occasional gamer.  too bad about the headphone out switch though.   That is REALLY annoying.

Pros: Sounds great, looks great, and lots of games support it., dedicated headphone jack

Cons: not as good (so ive heard) Xonar

A bit expensive for a sound card, but its the best thing you can buy for a audiophile / gamer.

Even if you just listened to music i dont see how you can go wrong with this card.

While many people may complain about switching modes cut off the sound, i just leave it in audio creation mode and im perfectly content, never any driver issues here.

These have some sort of amp built in, enough to power any headphone.

Pros: Very Clear & Detailed Sound,Replaceable OMP's,High Grade Components ike TI DAC,Great In Games,Great In Music,Solid Card.

Cons: Crystalizer is just a gimmick,Bass Could Use More Punch.

The Creative X-Fi Titanium HD Is the new high-end sound card from creative,and has an impressive spec sheet like 122db in 24bit\96khz playback and using a high-grade components like Texas Instruments DAC,also it comes with a 16mb x-ram for hardware accleration in games(useless).

The EMI shield is a cheap plastic unlike ASUS metalic cover(but it takes less heat from other components unlike metal that is on the STX),and the EMI shield came scretched like some idiot at creative tried to clean it with glass paper!

Sound Stage is wider compared to an onboard realtek sound chip(alc889),with warmer and richer sound and good mid and high tones!

lows wise,the bass is good,nothing special,it could use more punch,and it could be fixed by changing the omp's as they are replaceable(it comes with generic 2114d's at the I\V section and LME49710NA in the buffers)

overall,very satisfied with the card,drivers work well under windows 7 64bit,with no problems at all,I like the warm,rich and  detailed sound of it.definitely worth the money!

december 2010:I was so impressed with the soundcard so I've god a nother one for my second computer that I'm gonna build,anyway I've got a rev C. of the card(first one is A)and the highs are just perfect,spot on,sound is more stable and more cleaner(or its all just in my head).

if there are any grammer mistakes,please excuse me,english is not my first language!!

Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-E

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD The Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD is powered by the second-generation Creative X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity audio processor for PCI Express slots. The Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD combines captivating industrial design with audiophile grade Digital to Analog Converters (DACs) and components to produce a 122dB signal-to-noise ratio, the highest SNR ever produced by a Creative sound card. A replaceable Op-amp is also a distinguishing feature allowing users to customise audio output with colouration that is refined to their personal tastes. Additional product specifications include: •RCA Line Out for audio playback up to 122dB, 24-bit/96kHz Digital-to-Analog Converters (DAC) •RCA Line Input for recording up to 118dB, 24-bit 96kHZ Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADC) •0.001% Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise (THD+N) •Headphone output for audio listening up to 115dB 33 Ohms, and 117dB, 330 Ohms, at 24bit/96kHz •Replaceable Op-amps •Hardware-accelerated 3D positional audio and EAX 5.0 effects that provide a truly immersive experience with headphones and speakers •Dolby Digital and DTS encoding enables one-step single-cable connection to home entertainment systems •TOS-link optical-in/out •1/8" microphone-in •1/8" headphone jack •Creative ALchemy to restore EAX and surround sound that is otherwise lost in DirectSound game titles running under Windows Vista and Windows 7 •ASIO recording support with latency as low as one millisecond with minimal CPU load •Works with Windows Vista and Windows 7 operating systems