Audiophilleo 2, IFI IUSB, Audiobyte Hydra-X impressions
Feb 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #31 of 49
You are so wrong and it's not even a matter of preference. Firstly the interfaces have been compared in the same conditions. Furthermore while there are audible differences between software/plugins etc they are very very small compared to the differences between devices. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #32 of 49
"Same conditions" doesn't mean proper conditions... No disrespect, i really appreciate your work but what you did is like a Miss World contest in the dark... You told us that one of them has nice tities, the other one has a nice bootie and you based your conclusion on the perfume. It's a scentific result.. OK, but is this the real beauty? The one you can see it in broad daylight?

Not with Foobar, i'm sorry. Foobar is convenient, it can handle large libraries, it's versatile, it's universal, it's a CD burner, it's a format converter, it's the MOAG..... Foobar is anything you like but a player suitable for such a test. It might have a chance combined with jPlay,  but otherwise Foobar is dull, cluttered, opaque, you name it... I know Foobar, trust me; i know the best settings and i must say it is a really nice player for long auditions...

If you ever want to repeat the tests please use Audiogate, PlayPCMWin or Samplitude ProX. Yeah, i know, the last one is an editor but the sound is mind-boggling (full featured demo version downloadable) . And definitely NOT FLAC !  Convert them all to wav with Audio Transcoder. Because  any audiophile would do that, even foar a small amount of improvement... Not to mention DSD or hi-rez files...

Just my 2 pennies...

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #33 of 49
To me that seems like a very bespoke approach. I am not sure how many audiophiles will convert their lossless collection to Wav...
HD files have been used, but DSD holds no excitement to me.

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #34 of 49
Any audiophile who cares about jitter would convert flac to wav... As i said, when testing, the audio player is crucial. C'mon , give Samplitude ProX a chance. Maybe those sibilants that Audiophileo presented would diminish......

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #35 of 49
Negura - what SPDIF cable are you using between the AP2 and the DAC? 

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #36 of 49
  Any audiophile who cares about jitter would convert flac to wav... As i said, when testing, the audio player is crucial. C'mon , give Samplitude ProX a chance. Maybe those sibilants that Audiophileo presented would diminish......

The AP2 is not sibilant. That's perhaps trying too read too much into what I said. I am quite straightforward with my impressions. While I am owning the JPLAY plugin, I use it seldomly and I still believe the impact of software/plug-ins is very small compared to anything else. In my opinion the software/plugin differences are not anywhere near the level of changes and improvements brought by interfaces. 

Quote:
  Negura - what SPDIF cable are you using between the AP2 and the DAC? 

It has been a while since I've sold the AP2. I tried and used various SPDIF cables with it. Through my ownership I rolled multiple cables and settled with an OCC pure copper cable. It really depends on the system, as the cables are one of the last bits towards better synergy in my opinion. 

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #38 of 49
  Anyone tried the YellowTec PUC2 Lite?

If you look at my signature, this is what I am using at the moment. It was a close call, albeit different sound signatures, but after weeks I decided I preferred the PUC2Lite to the AP2 in this setup. Both my AP2 and PUC2Lite were powered by a linear regulated PSU. I never had the Pure Power thing.

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #39 of 49

If you look at my signature, this is what I am using at the moment. It was a close call, albeit different sound signatures, but after weeks I decided I preferred the PUC2Lite to the AP2 in this setup. Both my AP2 and PUC2Lite were powered by a linear regulated PSU. I never had the Pure Power thing.

O-k, cool.  Thanks for the info.  I'm thinking to get a PUC2 Lite at some point.  I've heard a lot of good things about it.  BTW, you mentioned different sounds signatures.  What specifically is the difference in your experience?

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #40 of 49

O-k, cool.  Thanks for the info.  I'm thinking to get a PUC2 Lite at some point.  I've heard a lot of good things about it.

One aspect the AP2 has over the PUC2Lite is sound staging. It's still the king of sound stage size and holography interface from what I have heard. The PUC2 Lite wins in other areas, such as resolution and speed. At the time I had tube gear, which provided for a fenomenal sound stage so the added benefit of the AP2 did not swing the balance.
Today funny enough there's not a single tube in my downstream, for speakers or headphones. However the next thing I'd like to try is an I2S interface to my PWD2.

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #41 of 49
Negura - another "noddy" question. If I put an iFi USB between my MacBook Pro and the Hugo, will that improve the sound? 

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #42 of 49
Good morning folks
Someone tried to ad a concero (hd) between the laptop and the conductor and tried to make some comparison with other converter?
Or with the upgraded USB board by Burson ..
I think it sound amazing but it's a bit expansive so I'm looking for something similar but cheaper and let the concero go
Thanks
Dani

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #43 of 49
Hi Negura. Thanks for the review. Although I always use JPLAY and listen to wav files (no flac) exclusively, I gotta side with you here, and say it it's not exactly necessary here when you are comparing the different interfaces under the same conditions. Sonically, the Hydra X appears to be exactly what I'm looking for by your own account. I currently use a Stello U3 (with a AQVOX and RAL dual-conduit) which I preferred over the Audiophileo2  (I'm most likely in the minority here). The Stello U3 sounds slightly glossier, richer, and with more texture to my ears.  My best guess from your review is that the Hydra X sounds closer to the U3, although perhaps better... I hope. I'm primarily a loudspeaker listener, so having a different sort of overall system may play a part in that preference.

What I have not been able to figure out about the new Hydra X+ is whether the battery is self charging or not. If i leave the external +5V power source in at all times, will that keep the battery charged or do I have to keep flicking the switch??

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #44 of 49
Good morning folks
Someone tried to ad a concero (hd) between the laptop and the conductor and tried to make some comparison with other converter?
Or with the upgraded USB board by Burson ..
I think it sound amazing but it's a bit expansive so I'm looking for something similar but cheaper and let the concero go
Thanks
Dani

April Music Stello U3 goes for $400 new and about $300 used in great condition. You might actually prefer the sound of it over the Concero (which I have not heard myself). There is also the Anedio U2 for $300 new.

http://www.moon-audio.com/april-music-stello-u3-ddc.html
http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/u2_overview

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #45 of 49
You can leave the PSU connected and it will charge while in use yes. There's a led indicator showing if it's running on battery or PSU if I remember well. It's been a while since I owned the Hydra.

I also own the Jplay plugin but I am using it seldomly these days. I am mostly using the native the PUC2 Lite ASIO driver. I feel my system is currently at a level where I no longer struggle to hear differences between plugins, but that said any differences are still very minor compared to anything else in the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back