Audiophilleo 2, IFI IUSB, Audiobyte Hydra-X impressions
Jul 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #16 of 49
Quote:
The rca implemented isnt your typical rca output, "super digital output". Im starting to think that the ilink's "sd output" might have a viable reason behind a missing bnc connection.

You may find this post quite intersting
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-usb-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/index10.html#post228146

Jul 11, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #17 of 49
The rca implemented isnt your typical rca output, "super digital output". Im starting to think that the ilink's "sd output" might have a viable reason behind a missing bnc connection.

You may find this post quite intersting
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/15-usb-spdif-converters-shootout-15327/index10.html#post228146

*shrug* Doesnt really say much other than that its basically the same question i had. The guy states he has 2 units, he's modding one for a BNC connection to do a comparison of an RCA. There's nothing from that point on stating A>B. I receive mine today, I'll post some photos once I've received it.

Jul 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #18 of 49
Great review.

IFi have come out with the new product - iLink, which is USB to SPDIF converter. Not a lot of reviews yet, they just started shipping but looks quite interesting, wondering how would it fare against Audiophilleo, lack of BNC output is a bummer though.
http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iLink.html

Here's some photos of the ilink I've just received. No sound impressions, I'm currently at work eager to have a listen.
I had no issues installing the drivers. Quick and easy, it'll show as a AMR for devices. One thing when connecting it all together, if the iusb and ilink are paired prior connecting it to pc, the device will not show nor will it work. Iusb and PC first and then ilink last won't cause any problems. ASIO works fine.
the lights on the ilink are much more subtle than the iusb, don't know if that's normal or not
ilink and iusb stacked. I didn't like the looks at first but it's starting to grow on me, looks quite nice imo.

Jul 11, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:
Here's some photos of the ilink I've just received. No sound impressions, I'm currently at work eager to have a listen.
I had no issues installing the drivers. Quick and easy, it'll show as a AMR for devices. One thing when connecting it all together, if the iusb and ilink are paired prior connecting it to pc, the device will not show nor will it work. Iusb and PC first and then ilink last won't cause any problems. ASIO works fine.
the lights on the ilink are much more subtle than the iusb, don't know if that's normal or not
ilink and iusb stacked. I didn't like the looks at first but it's starting to grow on me, looks quite nice imo.

Looking great, eagerly awaiting for sound impressions. Do you have any other USB converters to compare with, I am currently using HiFace2 with iUSB and iUSB really makes it shine.

Aug 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #20 of 49
Point 4 added and the original topic updated to what I feel is a better representation with the addition of the Hydra X and the added time spent listening. 
L3000.gif

3. Audiophilleo 2 vs Audiobyte Hydra-X 

This will be my last update using the Burson Conductor, as I have sold it. For this update I have mostly used my notes drafted from the time with the Conductor. From here onwards I only have the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC2 and I've included a couple of references to it where it made sense. Ultimately I feel the PWD2 is in a different class and even more transparent so it should help.

Further update: I ultimately found that an upgrade from stock cables to a Y split cable and other quality cables nullified the difference the IFI IUSB added with the Burson Conductor and for this reason I have updated my original post to remove one of the IFI IUSB scenarios. I no longer have the same configuration but I probably would not recommend the IFI IUSB with the Burson Conductor as worthwhile in many scenarios.

Aug 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:
It might be worth checking if the Burson's USB is powered by the amp itself or using the 5V input line. In the latter case it is easy to get benefits from an improved USB power supply.

The Tenor chip in the Burson Conductor does not require +5V power in the USB cable as it is powered from Burson's internal power supply, not 5V coming from the PC.  It works with just Data +/- and Ground!

Aug 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #22 of 49
Thanks a ton for the impressions!
Got The Conductor + LCD2 myself, and I have pretty much decided to go for the audiophilleo 2.
But does the Audiophilleo 2 only cost $580? Hydra is like 1000? 

Aug 9, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #23 of 49
Well depends what part of the globe you're from. 

Here in the UK an imported AP2 would be roughly: £500 (including VAT, customs, shipping) vs Hydra-X: £625 (incl shipping). Even so it gives the pricing advantage to the Audiophilleo. However, add Pure Power and the pricing scales change, but since I don't have the add-on, I can't comment on the added value.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #24 of 49
This will be my last update using the Burson Conductor, as I have sold it. For this update I have mostly used my notes drafted from the time with the Conductor. From here onwards I only have the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC2 and I've included a couple of references to it where it made sense. Ultimately I feel the PWD2 is in a different class and even more transparent so it should help.

Hey Negura,

it looks like you've got 3 of the pieces I'm wondering if I should put together, so you've got to tell me how they sound. I'm actually totally schocked that anyone else would have this combo, so I'd kill for a review/feedback/PM from you about it.

I've just bought a PWD Mkii, I'm looking for an iUSBPower, and I've just learned about the Hydra-X. I'd like to go PC->iUSBPower->Hydra-X->PWD Mkii via I2s. Can you tell me anything about how they sound together? Thanks!

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #25 of 49
  Hey Negura,

it looks like you've got 3 of the pieces I'm wondering if I should put together, so you've got to tell me how they sound. I'm actually totally schocked that anyone else would have this combo, so I'd kill for a review/feedback/PM from you about it.

I've just bought a PWD Mkii, I'm looking for an iUSBPower, and I've just learned about the Hydra-X. I'd like to go PC->iUSBPower->Hydra-X->PWD Mkii via I2s. Can you tell me anything about how they sound together? Thanks!

I no longer have all of that and I have not tried the I2S connection on either of PWD2/Hydra. This is all based off the SPDIF/AES/USB. So with this caveat back then I liked the Audiophilleo and respectively PUC2 more than the Hydra. I preferred better detail, treble extension, air and soundstage to additional warmness and more bass impact. The two former ultimately had better transparency. I have also sold the iPower in favour of a linear regulated 5V USB PSU. The 5V USB PSU improved the bass on the Audiophilleo 2 and provided a cleaner background. The weakness of iPower is that it feeds itself from a cheap switching wart.

If I would choose an interface for my PWD2 again, it would be between the Audiophilleo and PUC2 more so than Hydra X. Unless one prefers a warmer sound with a more intimiate soundstage. The Audiophilleo 2 had the largest and most holographic soundstage and PUC2 the best resolution. Otherwise they are both quite neutral, clean and clear sounding.

I should add that interestingly the native PWD2 USB probably sounds more closely to the Hydra-X than the other two interfaces. It's a bit warmer and more upfront sounding.

Jan 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #26 of 49

I no longer have all of that and I have not tried the I2S connection on either of PWD2/Hydra. This is all based off the SPDIF/AES/USB. So with this caveat back then I liked the Audiophilleo and respectively PUC2 more than the Hydra. I preferred better detail, treble extension, air and soundstage to additional warmness and more bass impact. The two former ultimately had better transparency. I have also sold the iPower in favour of a linear regulated 5V USB PSU. The 5V USB PSU improved the bass on the Audiophilleo 2 and provided a cleaner background. The weakness of iPower is that it feeds itself from a cheap switching wart.

If I would choose an interface for my PWD2 again, it would be between the Audiophilleo and PUC2 more so than Hydra X. Unless one prefers a warmer sound with a more intimiate soundstage. The Audiophilleo 2 had the largest and most holographic soundstage and PUC2 the best resolution. Otherwise they are both quite neutral, clean and clear sounding.

I should add that interestingly the native PWD2 USB probably sounds more closely to the Hydra-X than the other two interfaces. It's a bit warmer and more upfront sounding.

Damn, that's too bad that you didn't give the PWD Mkii and Hydra-X a shot over I2s. I've heard the USB connection on the PWD Mkii is really good, so I'm really only looking for an I2s convertor to try and better it.

What you said about the sonic qualities of the Hydra-X and AP2+iUSB and PUC2 all sounded good, though. I'm also afraid of adding too much warmth to the system, so I see exactly what you're saying. Added bass impact isn't bad either, though... Ahhhhh, the choices... In the end only an audition and shootout is the way to answer the problem. And as great as that is, it's a pain to have to tie up all that money for that time. Might be the best solution, though. Thanks for the feedback on what the pairings were like, it's a great help :)

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 49
  Damn, that's too bad that you didn't give the PWD Mkii and Hydra-X a shot over I2s. I've heard the USB connection on the PWD Mkii is really good, so I'm really only looking for an I2s convertor to try and better it.

What you said about the sonic qualities of the Hydra-X and AP2+iUSB and PUC2 all sounded good, though. I'm also afraid of adding too much warmth to the system, so I see exactly what you're saying. Added bass impact isn't bad either, though... Ahhhhh, the choices... In the end only an audition and shootout is the way to answer the problem. And as great as that is, it's a pain to have to tie up all that money for that time. Might be the best solution, though. Thanks for the feedback on what the pairings were like, it's a great help :)

Just add the PurePower to the Audiophilleo2 and bingo! Bass impact added with the excellent clean sound and openess of the AP2. Win win situation here. 

I had the chance to compared both before making my purchase decision. A definite no-brainer in favor of the AP2 + PP. You will forget the extra expense really quickly IMHO.

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #28 of 49
  Just add the PurePower to the Audiophilleo2 and bingo! Bass impact added with the excellent clean sound and openess of the AP2. Win win situation here. 

I had the chance to compared both before making my purchase decision. A definite no-brainer in favor of the AP2 + PP. You will forget the extra expense really quickly IMHO.

Thanks for the info. But which 2 did you have the chance to compare, AP2 vs. AP2+PP, the AP2+PP vs. the PUC2 or the AP2+PP vs. the Hydra?

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #29 of 49
  Thanks for the info. But which 2 did you have the chance to compare, AP2 vs. AP2+PP, the AP2+PP vs. the PUC2 or the AP2+PP vs. the Hydra?

Sorry for the confusion. Plain AP2 vs AP2 + PP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back