Bright
Imaging
Focus
Beaming
Coloration
Grainy
Gritty
Muddy

These are words that are better used as VISUAL descriptions. Are there Audio-specific equivelents?

How about WARMTH? That isn't visual, but seems physical in a non-audio way.

And then there is an AUDIO word I found that I don't understand: EUPHONIC
OROTUND might be used sometimes, I think.

Vision Impaired Individuals, while unlikely to be browsing Head-fi, might be informative as to non-visual methods of describing audio quality.

Why did I bring this up? I want to learn. My rediculous LOGON name is meant in jest. I am here to learn. I dont have enough money (yet) to purchase 5 sets of heaphones, 3 amps and multiple sources so that I can add much to any equipment evaluations. However, I am always open to new forms of education.

Finally, do most of you believe that everyone actually owns all the items in their signatures? I bet there is a lot of exagerations.

Jul 3, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iq160plus
And then there is an AUDIO word I found that I don't understand: EUPHONIC

An enhanced sound which is better than the real thing through some type of alteration. Usually used to describe tube amplifers.

Quote:

Finally, do most of you believe that everyone actually owns all the items in their signatures? I bet there is a lot of exagerations.

Durn, you caught me, actually all I have is a NJB3 and a Gilmore Lite but I'm hoping to purchase a set of Grado 125s one of these days!
tongue.gif
The NJB3 and Lite aren't much fun without headphones...
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 11
I find the old words work rather well. There will always be some ambiguity to them, but they work quite well now.

Remember the racing movie with Tom Cruise? The crew chief was trying to explain some terms to Tom, and Tom had no idea what he was talking about. He would tune the suspension a certain way, and then send Tom onto the track. He would then tell him, that's what loose means. Audio is the same way. We need to find a way to have people listen to something, and then tell them how to describe the sound. Taking into account preferences and sensitivites and the likes we could still come up with an easy way to talk someone thru a lot of the terms thru experience.

Jul 4, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 11
Hell I don't know what most of the words mean anyways, so new ones would suck even more.

Jul 4, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Really? I guess I better keep up with the Jones'

My new rig:
Wadia 861se --> Singlepower Maestro ---> HD700s made of platinum

Actually I think there is probably more inaccuracy in the signatures because people just don't get around to modifying them when they obtain new equipment.

Jul 4, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

These are words that are better used as VISUAL descriptions. Are there Audio-specific equivelents?

Once you've gotten to try out the different equipments that's been described with those terms.. you'll understand naturally. I didn't think they made sense when I first started browsing Head-Fi (months before I registered), but they'll all make sense once you hear it for yourself.

Quote:

I don't have to believe... everyone that I've met in Head-Fi meets indeed have everything, and most of the time, a few items more, than listed in their signatures.

Jul 4, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindrone
Once you've gotten to try out the different equipments that's been described with those terms.. you'll understand naturally. I didn't think they made sense when I first started browsing Head-Fi (months before I registered), but they'll all make sense once you hear it for yourself.

They all make sense to me. I was just stiring the pot. I dont have enough equipment to talk about yet. I like to get to REALLY know the people that I talk with. Then when I can respect them, their recommendations have a lot more respect. Gotta get me more stuff!!!!
280smile.gif

Jul 4, 2004 at 7:07 AM Post #10 of 11
Hi,

How about: Loud, Louder, even louder, soul stirring and earth shattering. Who cares about the intricacies when these words describe the only things that are important to most people. LOL

John

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Bright
Imaging
Focus
Beaming
Coloration
Grainy
Gritty
Muddy

Add these to the list:

Transparent
Invisible

I saw those in an amplifier description. Yes, I know exactly what those words mean in the context of audio (though I would likely NOT be able to hear non-transparency due to my lack of training.). Still just having fun with this thread! I have no money, so no new 'toys'! Too much time, so more posts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back