Audiophiles in Dubai?
Feb 22, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #601 of 1,754

If you still interested, I have a pair you can test if you like. I have Oyaide PCOCC-A cables on them. I also have a pair of Amperiors, let me know and we can meet and you can have a listen.

Cheers,
K

Hey Koolpep! Yeah that would be great! sending you a pm now. 

I don't have expensive gear but I'd love to be part of the next meetup. (Only have the Fidelio X1, MDR-1R, RHA750, Meelec A161, CAL etc). Might give me an inspiration to upgrade. :)

Thanks for keeping the scene alive here.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #602 of 1,754
  Hey Koolpep! Yeah that would be great! sending you a pm now. 

I don't have expensive gear but I'd love to be part of the next meetup. (Only have the Fidelio X1, MDR-1R, RHA750, Meelec A161, CAL etc). Might give me an inspiration to upgrade. :)

Thanks for keeping the scene alive here.

Only?

That's already quite some very nice gear. Not everyone has to be a "hoarder" like some of us, haha.

Cheers,
K

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #603 of 1,754
when is the next mini meet?

hoping i can join you guys.

it would be great to put a face to these log in names :D

what i can share is music and bring 

Amp :

LYR2 tubes "or might as well bring the LYR2" 
voskhod rocket 6n23p made on 1974 gray shield
voskhod rocket 6n23p made on 1975 gray shields 

Burson Soloist

DAC / AMP:

Chord Hugo

Headphones :

LCD-X stock cables - know you have this maybe an a and b vs after market cables
TH900 stock cables - same story hear 
v-moda xs - great for its price you guys might want to consider it for walking about in public.

if dan will go we can add the LCD 3 to the mix :D

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #604 of 1,754
If you do it in a house then one can only have around 5-6 people due to space constraints. Does anyone have some kind of office space they can spare on the weekends to be able to include more people ?

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #605 of 1,754
when is the next mini meet?

hoping i can join you guys.

it would be great to put a face to these log in names :D

what i can share is music and bring 

Amp :

LYR2 tubes "or might as well bring the LYR2" 
[COLOR=141823]voskhod rocket 6n23p made on 1974 gray shield[/COLOR]
[COLOR=141823]voskhod rocket 6n23p made on 1975 gray shields [/COLOR]

[COLOR=141823]Burson Soloist[/COLOR]

[COLOR=141823]DAC / AMP:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=141823]Chord Hugo[/COLOR]

Headphones :

LCD-X stock cables - know you have this maybe an a and b vs after market cables
TH900 stock cables - same story hear 
v-moda xs - great for its price you guys might want to consider it for walking about in public.

if dan will go we can add the LCD 3 to the mix :D

You have both 74 & 75 Voskhod... Wowowee! I've read nothing but good about them. How are you liking them?

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #606 of 1,754
If you do it in a house then one can only have around 5-6 people due to space constraints. Does anyone have some kind of office space they can spare on the weekends to be able to include more people ?

Good point Punit although you will need a day to transport your equipment. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mar 4, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #609 of 1,754

understood! pm me if there is a slot in 5 to 6 lol.

yeah office space or a seminar room / training room would be great, wish i could help but my office is far away in the desert.

hoping other can help here. 

You have both 74 & 75 Voskhod... Wowowee! I've read nothing but good about them. How are you liking them?

out of the few tubes i have 75's are my favorite, it would be best for you to try it imho i can say is they sound life like and the details are greats a up in quality vs the hugo alone - dont know how express sound in jargon haha.

just don't have cash right now to try other tubes hopefully soon. (got 3 tubes in mind to try)

but pretty much happy with my setup.

i still do have an itch to try an end amp, never ending is it :D

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #611 of 1,754
Thats good to know. But LCD comes with detachable cable hence is easy to re-cable. Whereas T1 has fixed cable, so re-cabling will involve opening up the HP's, desoldering the old cable from the drivers & then soldering the new cable hence involves some risk if not done properly. That said NMK may be able to do it as I am sure they will have skilled personnel.

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #612 of 1,754
Afternoon All,

Apologies for the minor thread crashing.....I'm living in Doha at the moment, and this thread seems to be my nearest.  I don't seem to have anything by way of audiophile shops around these parts (unless you consider Beats and Bose!).  I'm in the market for some decent closed cans, th-900s, lcd-xc...but in the proverbial mud as I don't have anywhere to actually audition them....I need to get over to the Emirates so can you recommend a shop per chance?

thanks for the help

Mar 6, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #613 of 1,754
I lived in Doha for 3 years
no audio shop at all
there was one in Salwa Road but it sadly closed due to lack of interest..
I think they opened or going to open a fnac in laguna mall(?) the way to the pearl, but i doubt they will have high end cans..
by the way, i bought very much from usa cause there are no fees in Qatar and the shipping is very fast and efficient
good luck!

Mar 8, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #614 of 1,754
I'm living in Doha at the moment...I need to get over to the Emirates so can you recommend a shop per chance?

Hi Gav

Probably Dubai Audio Centre is your best bet in the UAE. They have a pretty decent range, probably the best in the UAE. 

However in response to Montanari's advice to buy online because it is cheaper...I've no doubt he is right but do consider that online is cheaper because they have less overheads, don't pay the extortionate rent shops do here...so although it is tempting to save some money and buy online, be advised that is everybody did that then DAC would close down and there would be nowhere to listen to headphones at all!

Rant over!

Mar 8, 2015 at 5:33 AM Post #615 of 1,754
There are HPs I have bought in Dubai which are almost the same price or a bit cheaper than they sell in the US. V-moda M100, AKG Q701 (just a little north of 500AED) and Senn Momentum (more than 700AED at Plugins - promo(?) IDK). The rest were purchased online from other countries. I've asked Dubai Audio before about Schiit products which are shown on their website but unfortunately, they no longer carry them. I've asked the official retailer of Cypher Labs about Theorem 720 and they didn't have this model, so had to purchased abroad.

For other products like Oppo, the price difference is huge so there is no way I will buy it from Dubai Audio. If the difference is only small, why not. Let's not kid ourselves, if there is a significant difference between buying online from other countries, I think it will be worth the risk and hassle.

It is also worth waiting for discount time in other countries like Black Friday in the US and Singles Day in China to get better price. Ex Senn HD800 for 4200AED vs 5500AED - for me I know which one I will buy. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back