Audiophiles in Dubai?
Nov 3, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #271 of 1,748
I went to Dubai Audio last week, and they have a WA7 fireflies for demo there, you can check it out. Also, if you happened to have an HD 800 for sale, please let me know, I'm currently looking around trying to find a used pair to buy.

Thanks, I'll pop down and have a listen. Do you remember the prices?

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #274 of 1,748
Hey guys - just found this thread. I'm a Singaporean living in Dubai, and was wondering if the head-fi community here was really that dead. Thank god it's not.

I'm currently rigged up with a Fostex TH900 to a Resonessence Labs Herus DAC with an Effect Audio interconnect to my Mac/iPhone. Been thinking of a nice Woo Audio tube amp vs the new Oppo HA-1, neither of which are available here.

What are you guys running?

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #275 of 1,748
I stand corrected - just found out that Dubai Audio sells Woo Audio Fireflies! I know where I'm going to be on Saturday :)

Going to go check out their Audeze LCD-3 pricing as well

and it seems they have Oppo as well :D

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #276 of 1,748
Yes they have Oppo, however the HA-1 is by order only. Not sure if they carry the Oppo cans though.

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #279 of 1,748
Dubai Audio from time to time advertise Oppo BD-105 on Google+. I was interested with HA-1 then so I asked and they said HA-1 is currently on order only.

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #280 of 1,748
So this might be a good toss-up...

Oppo HA-1 (which they don't have, so we can't audition - leap of faith based on reviews?)
WA Fireflies (which they have, costs around the same price, and the one review I've seen auditioned with the TH900s say they play real nice together)

Oppo has the advantage of a truly awesome ESS Saber DAC (which I have on my Herus and loving it), while the Fireflies have tubes (I personally do so love the warmth of tubes)

The ESS Sabers have native handling of DSD and DXD, but the Fireflies do not.

Price-wise, they are pretty close ($999 vs $1199).

Tough call....

what do you guys think?

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #281 of 1,748
Oh wow, that's a beautiful setup. I just sold my previous setup, now looking to update to either an LCD-3 or Hd800. Dubai Audio only sells the WA7 fireflies, they don't sell any of their other amps afaik.

Having auditioned the LCD-3 and the HD800, I'd just say it comes down to a matter of taste.

I've found the HD800s to be too clinical for my liking. The staging and detail, however, is in a class over the LCD-3. The LCD-3 sounds a bit warmer, something I could listen to for hours on end. The bass feels more full (literally, you FEEL it), the mids are smooth and the highs don't fall apart).

On the other hand, the HD800's bass is a bit flaccid (for lack of a better word), but vocals and highs truly shine.

Simply put, Celine Dion sounds amazing on the HD800, while Tracy Chapman comes to life on the LCD-3. The Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing the 1812 sounds smashing on either, depending on your personal preferences.

That said, the TH900s in stock form goes head to head nicely against the LCD-3 in stock form. With the Effect Audio Piccolino cables (USD600), it outclassed the TH900 :frowning2:

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #282 of 1,748
  i was actually looking to something smaller (microstream..dragonfly? i don t know even if they worked connected to the mobile..)
the budget for the dac/amp is around that one
1000-1500 aed max for the in ear

I have the Audioquest Dragonfly v1 and have got it working with my Xperia Z3 over an OTG cable.

Just tested with my iPhone 6+ (original Apple Camera Connection Kit : Lightning to USB) to Dragonfly to headphones - doesn't work. I get a message saying "the attached accessory uses too much power". That said, I'll confirm that the iPhone 6+ with CCK works fine with the Resonessence Labs Herus to my TH900s.

Back to using the Dragonfly with my MBP over Audirvana. I'd say this though - the Herus beats the living daylights out of the Dragonfly.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #284 of 1,748

Having auditioned the LCD-3 and the HD800, I'd just say it comes down to a matter of taste.

I've found the HD800s to be too clinical for my liking. The staging and detail, however, is in a class over the LCD-3. The LCD-3 sounds a bit warmer, something I could listen to for hours on end. The bass feels more full (literally, you FEEL it), the mids are smooth and the highs don't fall apart).

On the other hand, the HD800's bass is a bit flaccid (for lack of a better word), but vocals and highs truly shine.

Simply put, Celine Dion sounds amazing on the HD800, while Tracy Chapman comes to life on the LCD-3. The Chicago Symphony Orchestra playing the 1812 sounds smashing on either, depending on your personal preferences.

That said, the TH900s in stock form goes head to head nicely against the LCD-3 in stock form. With the Effect Audio Piccolino cables (USD600), it outclassed the TH900 :frowning2:

I've gotten the chance to listen to both the HD-800's and the LCD-3's, and I'm honestly torn between the two, they both blew me away. I'm currently just browsing the classifieds section looking for a good deal on either, and will jump at the first one I see. 

How are you liking the TH900's? I've heard great things about them but the fact that they're closed back drives me away to be honest.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #285 of 1,748
I had the chance to listen to both many time, and to lcdX too
All amplified with properly amps

And I happily got a lcd3f

I would choose hd800 over lcd3 (but even 2or X) only for classical music, that unfortunately I'm not still ready to enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back