audiophile tablets?
Nov 20, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #16 of 36
Nov 24, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #17 of 36
Any tablet that is supported by the CyanogenMod custom rom let's you enable USB HOST. This way you can hook up battery-powered DACs like the Fiio E7 to your Android tablet. You can build a pretty audiophile Android rig this way. Check out XDA for more info. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #18 of 36
I'm pretty impressed by the audio output of my new Kindle Fire.  No idea what DAC they used inside, but given they are selling it as a media consumption device with access to their Amazon's MP3 store it may have a better-than-usual set of pipes. Music output from the speakers is even better than most of my other tablets..

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #19 of 36

Quote:
I'm pretty impressed by the audio output of my new Kindle Fire.  No idea what DAC they used inside, but given they are selling it as a media consumption device with access to their Amazon's MP3 store it may have a better-than-usual set of pipes. Music output from the speakers is even better than most of my other tablets..

from my desktop research it uses the TI OMAP 4430 ... I'm not sure if there are any adaptations on the Kindle, but I understand this was also used on the 2009 Galaxy S - which had pretty good sound.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #22 of 36
If you plan on using it as a source, I guess it won't be in your pocket? So maybe you could try to use a DAC with an ipad, there is this topic that could help you which lists all the working DAC:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad

In my case, I bring my iPad2 everywhere I go (so I double it as my portable music source)... Amongst the many DAC's that can compliment it, what will the best portable choice (so as not to add more heft to my already bulky rig)?

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #23 of 36

Quote:
anyone tried a Playbook ? just they are cheap now

seems they use the Wolfson WM8994e DAC ? should be pretty good headphone output ?

The Playbook sounds good to me on a set of Turbines. I'm wondering if the mini usb out will allow for a USB DAC?

Jan 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #24 of 36
I'll second the Playbook mention. I have some HD650s plugged directly into it, no amp or other gear, and it drives them pretty well. More than enough volume for my needs (Although I do admit I listen to my music quieter than many people), and the sound quality's nothing to complain about and doesn't leave me wanting.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #25 of 36
Im sure i read somehere that the hp touchpad is meant to be the best of the bunch for audio.

Anyway got one and it's a nice device, but i can't wait for when CM9 ics is ported to it, which hopefully won't take long.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #26 of 36

Quote:
I'll second the Playbook mention. I have some HD650s plugged directly into it, no amp or other gear, and it drives them pretty well. More than enough volume for my needs (Although I do admit I listen to my music quieter than many people), and the sound quality's nothing to complain about and doesn't leave me wanting.

I just bought a pair of D2000's and they sound pretty respectable coming out of the Playbook.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #27 of 36
I would definitetly check out the tab plus 7 inch.  Bought it based on sound quality alone, and very very pleased.  Drives mdr ex700's very vell, excellent separation/soundstage (using poweramp).  I don't know anything about the internals used.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #29 of 36

Quote:
audiophile tablets?

The ones with S/PDIF output.
regular_smile .gif

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #30 of 36
All the Tegra 2 tablets use the Wolfson, although I'm not sure if all of them are supported by Voodoo Sound. Can definitely vouch for how good it sounds compared to the stock implementation of the Wolfson.

Another lesser known tablet for audio stuff is the Archos G9 Turbo - it's an Android one and Archos have added USB DAC support (tested and working with my E17, but not had enough time to put it through it's paces).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back