audiophile quality albums
Jul 28, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #166 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by th0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sleep - Dopesmoker.

Not kidding. Very well produced and so heavy, it feels like being run over by a truck.

better than "jerusalem" version. great band. although "holy mountain" is one of my favorite albums of all time the sound quality is pretty bad. the snare is horrible on some songs. produced by billy anderson. he got better results on
"houdini" by the melvins. ( this album sounds awesome) i think kurt kobain was also part of the production team on this one.

the albums i go to when exercising the ears and gear is
"meddle" by pink floyd.
"the soft bulletin" by flaming lips
"jukebox" cat power (recently)

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #167 of 340
This is an interesting discussion because a lot of recordings mentioned here sound sterile to me.

The best sounding recording I've ever heard is the stereo mixes of pet sounds. A lot of this has to do with the fact that the mixes were not used for years and sat dormant.

Kind Of Blue (with tape his and all) is a wonderful recording in terms of sonic quality.

BUT the best quality recordings are generally classical where the record companies spend a lot of time preparing a perfect balance, including orchestral halls and ....... microphone selection and placement.

The Brandenburg Concertos as performed by Tafelmusik on Sony Classical is about the best sonic quality I have ever heard.

Also the Mahler Symphony No. 2 as conducted by Ivan Fischer on Channel Classics is a serious contender.

Jul 29, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #168 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an interesting discussion because a lot of recordings mentioned here sound sterile to me.

The best sounding recording I've ever heard is the stereo mixes of pet sounds. A lot of this has to do with the fact that the mixes were not used for years and sat dormant.

Kind Of Blue (with tape his and all) is a wonderful recording in terms of sonic quality.

BUT the best quality recordings are generally classical where the record companies spend a lot of time preparing a perfect balance, including orchestral halls and ....... microphone selection and placement.

The Brandenburg Concertos as performed by Tafelmusik on Sony Classical is about the best sonic quality I have ever heard.

Also the Mahler Symphony No. 2 as conducted by Ivan Fischer on Channel Classics is a serious contender.

Have you ever listened to "Someday My Prince Will Come" by Miles Davis on vinyl on a very good turntable/arm/MC cartridge? On the opening while the drummer was tapping on the cymbals? My point is your listening system will show you if the recording is good or not.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #169 of 340
Any album with MFSL tag on it.
wink.gif

It'd be extra interesting to see all the pop records mastered in the 00s. How many entries would the list have?

Mike Oldfield's albums have been good. Let's say Crises (1983) be a very good example.

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #170 of 340
T.S. Monk - Monk on Monk
N2KE 10017 - Non-Encoded Music 1997.

Monk's son plays his father's music. Superb clear sound, engineered by Rudy van Gelder. Great band feat. Hancock, Carter, Terry, Shorter, Holland etc...

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #171 of 340
Quote:

Thats extremely elitist IMO. You just negated and nullified 17 pages of recommendations and opinions given by various members on head-fi. Agreed, there might be some opinions that are slightly off and not generally considered "audiophile" by the majority, but to simply say "sorry, you all suck" in any manner is very unfair.

To your ears, your classical music might sound better simply because of personal preference, if you wanted to mention those particular albums, you couldve just done that alone instead of putting down 100's of peoples opinions simply because you think yours is better.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #172 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats extremely elitist IMO. You just negated and nullified 17 pages of recommendations and opinions given by various members on head-fi. Agreed, there might be some opinions that are slightly off and not generally considered "audiophile" by the majority, but to simply say "sorry, you all suck" in any manner is very unfair.

I think DavidMahler was referring to the fact that well recorded albums can sound a bit weak and uninteresting compared to very loud, compressed albums. I have to say though, that is really a naive point of view I think, because with good equipment they sound a lot more exciting than the "wall of sound" efforts they churn out these days. Maybe they don't grab you as hard in the first five seconds, but five minutes later you can at least still stand to listen to them and their charms are more subtle, but far more interesting and evocative.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #173 of 340
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think DavidMahler was referring to the fact that well recorded albums can sound a bit weak and uninteresting compared to very loud, compressed albums. I have to say though, that is really a naive point of view I think, because with good equipment they sound a lot more exciting than the "wall of sound" efforts they churn out these days. Maybe they don't grab you as hard in the first five seconds, but five minutes later you can at least still stand to listen to them and their charms are more subtle, but far more interesting and evocative.

I hate loud recordings tbh but hey, what can you do, you can't change th dynamic range of the recording once it's mastered.
Thank heavens Foobar got it's oscilloscope visualisation so I can see how badly mastered and how much 'loudness war treatment' it's been given.

Great bands can suffer from bad bad mastering e.g. Muse's 'Black Holes and Revelations' album....
frown.gif

Give me the power to adjust the volume producers, not you do it for us!

*Goes back to 1983 (recorded onto CD in 1988) CD Genesis recording and original Rush 2112 CD recording*

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #174 of 340
Anything from Susan Wong.

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #180 of 340
Melissa Etheridge - s/t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back