Audiophile Metal
Oct 28, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #137 of 148
Obviously the original recording is going to play a huge part in the final product, but that doesn't mean you can't do a lot to have a great music listening experience.

What kind of equipment to buy is more subtle than "x headphone is god for y genre." You need to consider personal taste in you selection. For example, I'm very picky about my bass response. I love bass, I think it's a vital aspect to music, but by the same token, it shouldn't be overwhelming. So, what I consider too bassy even for genre's like EDM are just right for other people.

Granted, there are going to be aspects to genre's that are going to play a big part. I'm also pretty into metal (I tend to like melodic death metal and thrash metal) so a lot of really fast, precise guitar and keyboard parts come up a lot. I find that headphones such as the Sennheiser 600 (and the 800 for that matter) were quite sloppy with the lead instruments. Of course, for headphones like that, amping is going to make a difference.

Currently I run an audio-gd compass -> AKG K702s. I really enjoy them for all kinds of music, particularly metal and classical. They are beautifully detailed and clear. I think they do a fantastic job with the details with vocals, which with metal is going to be a bigger consideration than some other genres.

In terms of file quality, I think it's good practice to rip to lossless. Even if you can't hear the difference in this rig, or the next one, or even the next one, if you decide to go down the path of head-fi (sorry about your wallet by the way) then it's likely that you will one day have a rig that you can tell the difference on.

So, at the end of the day, make a CD/bring an ipod/computer/flash drive etc with high quality versions (preferably lossless) to a meet or two, see if there's a store that sells hi-fi headphones in your area, and play around a bit until you find something you like.

Oh, and the plus side to listening to crappy headphones is your new ones will sound that much better by comparison.
good luck!

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #138 of 148
I'm surprised so many people are heralding brickwalled and nearly brickwalled albums as audiophile quality. What's the point in buying all this headphone gear to listen to that? The last time I was able to stomach brickwalled stuff was when I was plugging SR60s into a cheap receiver with a cheap cd player. No amplification in that setup really and I had to crank the bass and treble. When I got my first amp, I thought something was wrong with the amp because of how horrible brickwalled stuff sounded.

I believe Iced Earth's last album was brickwalled, and it was the first one to reach that level of loudness.

Morningrise and Orchid sound really good with my RS-1s. That was the case even when I had a cheap cd player and was using a portable amp.

The new Testament and a lot of other brickwalled metal is horrible. You can't turn it up at all. You have to keep it at a low volume and the music sound completely flat. It doesn't breathe. It stays in the middle and never moves up and down. I've tried other phones at stores, mainly Senns, and the brickwalled stuff sucks on those too.

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #140 of 148
wanted to thank those closer to the begginning of this thread for pointing out the gold version of countdown to extinction, didnt know that existed, and im just recently getting into megadeth, own killing is my business, Peace sells, and rust in peace. just out in my order at elusive disc for it, i hope its worth the 25 bucks

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #144 of 148
Not sure how I forgot these:

Fleshwrought - Dementia/Dyslexia
Animals as Leaders - Animals as Leaders

10/10

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #146 of 148
Armored Saint - Symbol of Salvation, 1991
King Diamond - Them, 1988
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath, 1984

To name a few... you might notice a pattern there? Don't buy remastered (ruined) anything, it usually just means less DR and louder, the originals are much better.

I haven't really found anything that came out post 1998 with a dynamic range higher than...6? But this is the same for all genres really.

I listen to today's stuff for an hour, by that time my ears get tired and then I feel "okay, enough noise, let's listen to some music for a change" *Cue 1984 Scorpion's album* Blessed DR12. It's sad, really.
angry_face.gif

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #148 of 148
Kayo Dot - Choir of the Eye I think it on par with the other "good" recordings on listed on here.

I also thought the new dillinger escape plan album (option paralysis) didn't have the crap compressed out of it either. 

I wish the recording people weren't obsessed with loudness. Yes, it is part of a bands sound but when you set down with a guitar in front of an amp and just listen you realize there's so much more that you're not getting on an album compressed for loudness. You really miss the hum of the tubes and the way they distort the sound of the guitar, or that extra "ping" in the drums. If you listen to Oceanic by Isis, on the track "Weight" listen for the snare drum. You'll find it starts in one channels and then decays to the other, it's absolutely amazing. That little effect adds so much depth to the song and it's that attention to detail that makes a great recording. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back