Audiophile Metal
Jun 18, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #106 of 148
I recently grabbed a vinyl rip of Metallica's Kill 'Em All that was posted by someone going by the name "pbthal", and I was actually quite impressed. I don't know the album well, but it sounded fantastic. Worth checking out. Obviously not an official release, but recommended for fans who have already purchased the album in some (legal) form.

Jun 18, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #107 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently grabbed a vinyl rip of Metallica's Kill 'Em All that was posted by someone going by the name "pbthal", and I was actually quite impressed. I don't know the album well, but it sounded fantastic. Worth checking out. Obviously not an official release, but recommended for fans who have already purchased the album in some (legal) form.

pbthal is very well regarded for his very high quality vinyl transfers, so pretty much any metal you find from him will be outstanding. RTL and MOP are stellar.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #110 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone think the pbthal rips of Ride the Lightening and Kill em all are on the brighter side?

I never thought so, but I will be honest: I am not the hugest Metallica fan, so I am not intimately familiar with the various vinyl/CD pressings. What are you comparing the rips to?

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #111 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone think the pbthal rips of Ride the Lightening and Kill em all are on the brighter side?

I found them to be 'airier' but not necessarily more bright. Whatever the actual term is, I found that I enjoyed them better and it replaced my own CD FLAC version
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #112 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found them to be 'airier' but not necessarily more bright. Whatever the actual term is, I found that I enjoyed them better and it replaced my own CD FLAC version
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never thought so, but I will be honest: I am not the hugest Metallica fan, so I am not intimately familiar with the various vinyl/CD pressings. What are you comparing the rips to?

Actually, I am not too much of a Metallica fan either. However I am just saying in general, the album sounds super-bright to me (not specifically in comparison to the CD version). Its sounds airier and quite fantastic, but just too bright for my tastes. Kill em all on the other hand, just rocks and is not as bright.

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #113 of 148
pbthal's rips have never struck me as bright. Quite the opposite, actually: some of his older rips were a tad rolled-off in the highs. His more recent rips have been superb, however. I've only grabbed a few, since the majority haven't interested me, but many of his rips have placed themselves as my favorite versions of those respective albums. Pink Floyd - Animals, Yes - Going For The One, Led Zeppelin II, Alan Parsons Project - Turn of a Friendly Card, a few Beatles albums... these are where pbthal's source vinyl, recording process, and gear have produced the finest results I've heard anywhere.

And with the Metallica, as I said, I don't know their albums well, so I can't speak to the differences between pbthal's rips and any other versions, but Kill 'Em All sounded superb. I'll be checking his rip of Ride The Lightning against the DCC release when I have some time, but it's worth noting that when I've compared pbthal's rips against some MoFi copies of matching albums, I've had great difficulty telling them apart. Quite a testament to his work with some good early generation vinyl.

I think he's done some Judas Priest and Slayer. I'm not particularly interested in either band, but those of you who are should check those out.

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #114 of 148
Well, I am not sure my comment will go with the OP, but I have to spit it.

Dark Tranquility - The Gallery is a great album. It has quite complex songs worth listening with different HPs.

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #116 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isis - Any of their albums, really. The latest one isn't so good for dynamic range

The bass is just too overwhelming in Wavering Radiant. It makes it really hard to listen to on headphones. Its a shame really, its a fantastic album.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #118 of 148
I am surprised no one has mentioned Iced Earth, didn't they include a sticker in one of their albums telling everyone to turn up the volume knob cause they refuse to be involved in the loudness war? And in their remasters didn't they add in both the remastered and original? I think no metal band aims their music at audiophiles as much as Iced Earth. Too bad music wise they are a bit limited.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #120 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OSI - Blood is definitely the best-sounding (from a pure audio point of view) heavy album I've heard this year, if not in quite a while. No over-compression, nice dynamics, and excellent instrument sounds all around. Highly recommended!

Was one of my most anticipated albums this year, but I did not like it that much unfortunately. There are couple really nice tracks (The Escape Artist and Radiologue), but the rest of it is so-so compared to Free. Blood is better recorded though
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back