Audiophile Metal
May 5, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #91 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ocean,

Oh, man, I have been trying to find that band for ages, but I'd forgotten the name. Thanks are not enough to express my gratitude.

But thanks, still.

May 5, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #92 of 148
beerchug.gif

May 5, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #93 of 148
Conspiracy..........King Diamond..........Just great sounding if you can find the "gold "
remastered one.

InFlames..........Nuclear Blast Reloaded Remaster..........The Jester Race

Opeth..........Blackwater Park LP..........Deliverence LP..........Watershed LP

Most Metal is not recorded that well. There are alot of drums to mike-up, The sound in the red levels add fuzzy distortion. It's a ballance of "the live feel" and good recording.

May 5, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #94 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most Metal is not recorded that well. There are alot of drums to mike-up, The sound in the red levels add fuzzy distortion. It's a ballance of "the live feel" and good recording.

Such a shame, really.

Good Recording > "Live" feel

What even defines the "Live" feel? Loudness? I should hope not. I mean, personally, Soundstage is what gives music the "Live" feel.

This is why I like underground music and smaller venues.

May 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #95 of 148
I just received today a copy of Paranoid Deluxe edition, the remaster is "audiophile quality", it's done from the original master tapes, it's boosted at the highest possible volume without clipping, even comparing the waveforms to my vinyl rip, sounds right. The box set also includes the rare 1974 quadraphonic mix on a dvd, that's really some hardcore audiophile metal material
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #96 of 148
Kreator..........Hords of Chaos

They recorded it to sound live, but the disk has total detail. This is what I would call a perfect metal recording. Led Zep 111 had a group of tracks recorded with the Rolling Stones mobile van, they had a live feel because they were live. Maybe what Kreator did was have a group of multitracks recorded at the same time to achive the sound?

May 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #97 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meliboeus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received today a copy of Paranoid Deluxe edition, the remaster is "audiophile quality", it's done from the original master tapes, it's boosted at the highest possible volume without clipping, even comparing the waveforms to my vinyl rip, sounds right. The box set also includes the rare 1974 quadraphonic mix on a dvd, that's really some hardcore audiophile metal material
biggrin.gif

Most excellent! I saw this at the shops but was a bit hesitant to splash down money on a modern 'remaster'. My copy of Paranoid is rooted (one channel has one side of the waveform clipped at half level, What?!), and it's an absolutely fantastic album.

May 6, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #98 of 148
Here is a comparison of the waveforms , my vinyl rip on top, the remaster on bottom, considering that the first might contain some noise which makes the waves look a bit different, dynamic range has not been completely destroyed by clipping...volume has been boosted but not to the point of brickwalling. The vinyl still has some edge however...

May 7, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #99 of 148
Thanks for the info. Interesting stuff going on with the remaster though.. there appears to be quite a difference in the level of the quiet parts between the left and right channel, where the vinyl is far more consistent.

Probably unlikely I'd notice when listening... but it's still odd to see. Overall they look to have done a nice job though.

May 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #100 of 148
a couple albums that spring to mind, and im probably going to be echoing what others have said

Covenant - Nexus Polaris
Slayer - South of Heaven
Metallica - Black Album
Type O Negative - October rust
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Childeren of Bodom - Follow the reaper
Amon Amarth - WOOOS and TOTTG

this is a good thread guys, lets keep it going. Nice to see so many metal heads on this forum

May 16, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #101 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Conspiracy..........King Diamond..........Just great sounding if you can find the "gold "
remastered one.

No, no, no, no. The original is much more natural and much better sounding in every way. Avoid all Roadrunner remasters.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #104 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the new Mastodon, "Crack the Skye", sounds amazing. Most of their stuff is recorded very well.

That record sounds horrible. It is a shame too, because that is a really great album that I would listen to more if it wasn't so squashed. Maybe it is a bit different on the vinyl version though, I don't know.

Devin Townsend's new album Ki is a good example of a metal album that has good sonic qualities. Even though there aren't many metal moments during the album, when it gets heavy it's loud, and when it is not heavy, it's not loud. I work at a restaurant, and I played this album during work and I found that my co-workers were constantly turning the volume up and down. The record has dynamics, which is extremely rare for a new metal release. It is limited a bit, but not so much that it detracts from the listening experience. I'm glad he chose not to compress this one too much, because Synchestra and Ziltoid were not mastered very well.

Jun 16, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #105 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by glanzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Devin Townsend's new album Ki is a good example of a metal album that has good sonic qualities. Even though there aren't many metal moments during the album, when it gets heavy it's loud, and when it is not heavy, it's not loud. I work at a restaurant, and I played this album during work and I found that my co-workers were constantly turning the volume up and down. The record has dynamics, which is extremely rare for a new metal release. It is limited a bit, but not so much that it detracts from the listening experience. I'm glad he chose not to compress this one too much, because Synchestra and Ziltoid were not mastered very well.

Hopefully all four albums that he is releasing under Devin Townsend Project or whatever he calls it will be of the same quality then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back