Audiophile Linux software
Apr 16, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #16 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by tusk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion terandle, but I don't want a player based on the cl.

nmpc is just one the many front ends for MPD, which happens to be CLI.

The majority of MPD front ends are graphical in nature. My favorite so far is gmpc ( Qalaxy - Gnome Music Player Client ). There's a port of gmpc called mpc that can run on the Noikia n770, 800, and 810 internet handhelds.

MPD also has web browser based clients. Can you say "MPD controlled from your iPod Touch from it's Safari web browser via WiFi all from your listening seat"??

Apr 16, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #17 of 71
after I got my Keces usb dac I was going crazy in ubuntu, having to re-enable it constantly.

Finally found after searching that editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base does the trick nicely.
just change:
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
to:
options snd-usb-audio index=0

I'm not sure why OSS would be preferable to ALSA. Is it to do with sound quality? does it matter with a USB dac? I found OSS to be a pain, only supporting one process at a time to use the sound device. Right now I'm using Pulse Audio (w/Hardy Heron) and so far I like it a lot.

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #18 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nyc_paramedic: Are there any tricks to getting ALSA to output directly to a device? I'm using a Silverstone EB01 USB dac at work to output FLAC to my headphone amp, and am working on getting a FREENAS/SqueezeCentre server running at home with a Squeezebox 3 and then use a Nokia N800 as a controller. (or the squeezebox remote..)

You can use the following to find what device you need to use:

$aplay -l

This will show you what devices you have available. You're looking for the one with IEC958 in the line. FWIW, I think it's hw:0,1 or you will probably use plughw:0,1.

Also, envy24control is what you can use to control your 24/96 soundcard. I have the same soundcard, BTW.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #19 of 71
Just wondering if there are any recommended distributions or versions to start with ?

I have plenty of experience using linux servers from the command line, but not a whole lot of using it via a desktop and none using it with audio applications.

There are new releases of Ubuntu and Redhat around the corner. I am wondering if it is best to go with one of those, or one that has been out for a while.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Apr 17, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #20 of 71
Definitely Ubuntu, man. Or Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, only has a lot of stuff installed from the start (which you can easily install yourself using proper Ubuntu).

I'm using the Hardy Heron Beta and it's been solid. Before that I used Gutsy w/KDE. It's rockin, but for the aforementioned lack of crossfeed plugins.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #21 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely Ubuntu, man. Or Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, only has a lot of stuff installed from the start (which you can easily install yourself using proper Ubuntu).

I'm using the Hardy Heron Beta and it's been solid. Before that I used Gutsy w/KDE. It's rockin, but for the aforementioned lack of crossfeed plugins.

I like lean distributions, so ubuntu sounds to be the way forward for me. I'd not heard of the MINT distro, so I'll check that out prior to making the final choice.

Apr 17, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #22 of 71
Given your preference for lean distributions and familiarity w/command line I'd suggest giving ArchLinux a chance. I use it for a network of MythTV boxes. I find their rolling release and package management to be simple and effective. Up to date packages as well given the rolling release style.

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #23 of 71
Using Exaile and ALSA right now. Rhythmbox likes to screw up my tags, and when I get back on my Vista partition, Foobar does not like it.
On another note, Hardy Heron is out next week, and comes with PulseAudio, and by the looks of it, looks very interesting.

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #24 of 71
Thanks guys, I was cycling through all of the various Linux Players and had settled on Audacious but wasn't that happy with it (it's a real memory hog). After reading this thread I gave mpd with gimmix a look and haven't looked back.

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 71
I 'm new to linux, so please go through how to's very carefully.
I think I have MDP installed, and I have GMPC, but there are no songs in the library and I can't add any.
I tried installing gimmix, but same thing. How do I add my music onto this player? Do I need to install for MPD or configure that?

Apr 23, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #26 of 71
I use Ubuntu, it may be different on different distros but after I installed mpd I edited /etc/mpd.conf with:
sudo nano /etc/mpd.conf
to select an alternate output. There are a lot of helpful notes in the config file, but if you're using your default audio output you shouldn't have to change it. If you do make changes you can restart mpd with:
sudo /etc/init.d/mpd restart

After configuring mpd I populated the music library. The default location is in /var/lib/mpd/music. I have my music in my home directory so I just added a soft-link with:
sudo ln -s ~/Music /var/lib/mpd/music/Music

You may also have to add yourself to the audio group, you can do that with:
sudo usermod -a -G audio <your user name>

After that there should be a reload library option in GMPC that will make all of your music files accessible. (I'm using Sonata now, in Sonata you right-click on the library tab and select Update Library)

Hope that helps.

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #27 of 71
Thanks a bunch. It works and I like it better than Amarok. It takes way less memory and it's got a decent gui. Is there any way to make it stop after the current song, or see your entire library, organized by artist, and then album?

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #28 of 71
I especially like the way it will run even without the GUI loaded. I'm not sure why more players don't use this model. I guess it takes some effort to setup, but that could be all automated.

Sonata has the ability to do searches through your entire library based on Artists, Album, etc... I have my music organized in directories based on artist and then album which I find is the easiest way to go. I don't see any way to stop after one song on Sonata, other than only loading the one song into the current playlist. Maybe someone else knows of a way to set that up.

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #29 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ech0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given your preference for lean distributions and familiarity w/command line I'd suggest giving ArchLinux a chance. I use it for a network of MythTV boxes. I find their rolling release and package management to be simple and effective. Up to date packages as well given the rolling release style.

+1 ArchLinux. Since you are comfortable with the commandline it sounds like it will suit you. You can't get a leaner system as you start from the CLI and only add what you need to get the system of YOUR choice. The package management is easy, and rolling release means you never have to go through upgrade hell every 6 months again.

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #30 of 71
I just realized that GMPC won't recognize any of my previous Itunes music. Under amarok it was listed as .m4a Is there any way to play these files(plugin or something)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back