AUDIOPHILE LINUX (AP Linux)
Jul 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 57
Should just need to change the following:

device "hw:1,0" 
mixer_type “none”  
dsd_usb "yes"

Changing those settings, as long as you are running the latest MPD, should enable streaming DSD over PCM using DoP 1.0.

However, DSD has some issues on Linux from what I have read about and there have been a lot of reports of ticking/popping and sound cutouts.  I personally don't use DSD so hopefully someone can offer a bit more assistance to get you up and running.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #18 of 57
Like I said, not hugely familiar with DSD on Linux as I don't listen to DSD files.

Switching the dsd_usb command to "yes" should enable the DSD to PCM streaming functions.  However, and I hate to say it, you may have to compile MPD with DSD support.  Unsure if that is a function enabled by default, as there appear to be some custom mpd-dsd distributions on github and other locations that people are using to allow this function in version 0.18 and later of MPD.  

Also, have you configured your asound.conf file?  This file contains the settings for ALSA to function.  You also need to configure all of your MPD files, such as your playlist folders, pid file location, etc.  In addition, have you verified MPD is started and running without errors?

Here is a good basic site on some simplistic MPD/ALSA configurations:  http://www.24bit96.com/usb-computer-audio-system/mpd-ubuntu-for-bitperfect-digital-audio-playback.html

Outside of that, all I got for yah in that regard, hopefully someone else can chime in but you honestly might want to go check out Computer Audiophile.  

Would also check out the official site for MPD: http://www.musicpd.org/

Jul 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #19 of 57
FYI, if you want to automount, this should work

pacman -Sy udevil
systemctl enable devmon@root.service
systemctl start devmon@root.service

I am running a pogoplug as a NAS for my music files.  It is running arch linux so I figured out how to automount drives on it.

If you do this, it will mount in the /media directory, and not in the /mnt directory.

It also works better if you the external drive has a volume name, so it will get mounted as /media/volume_name

Otherwise it makes up a name based on the type of drive you are using.

Good luck

Randy

Jul 15, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #20 of 57
Hi Randy,
Thanks for your post.
I already jumped back to Ubuntu which automount naturally
bigsmile_face.gif

BTW, do you know command in terminal for showing sampling rate of the dac in Ubuntu?

In Linux Arch is " cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params"

Jul 15, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #21 of 57
Arch Linux ........looks like ArchBang to me which is a solid distro.   I keep a hard drive in my laptop bag with bootable Archbang on it to boot into other computers and basically have my own computer on the road, hijacking work and family computers.  

Might be interesting to see if I could put Audiphile Linux on a USB stick or something.   I truly hate to dedicate a full computer to audio although I do with a Mac Mini.  If I had a Linux laptop or desktop (and I do) I prefer to keep it open to perform other tasks.   Too much computer for just audio is a waste to me.  On my laptop I run Clementine, Spotify, and Pithos (Pandora wrapper).   I prefer to use small board computers like Cubox or Raspberry Pi to serve up my audio.  Of course you can put Arch on those as well.  Kills me to dedicate my new Mac Mini to just music but I finally took the plunge.  I have it hooked to the TV via HDMI too although I never really use it like that.  Just run it headless from my laptop to two separate amps. 

Audiophile Linux is cool and I dabbled with it in the past but ultimately I'd rather run straight Arch or Linuxmint and multi-task.  Too much cool stuff you can do with Linux like Software Defined Radio and such.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #22 of 57
  Hi Randy,
Thanks for your post.
I already jumped back to Ubuntu which automount naturally
bigsmile_face.gif

BTW, do you know command in terminal for showing sampling rate of the dac in Ubuntu?

In Linux Arch is " cat /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params"

Sorry, I know just enough Linux to be dangerous.

I did a lot of searching and trial and error to get where I'm at, which isn't very far, but I do have my pogoplug running as a file server.

Randy

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #25 of 57
I wonder how these distros are set up to be called audiophile. As already said, at the end the source code/programs are the same on all distros.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #26 of 57
While its true getting "audiophile" audio from Linux is pretty bloody easy,some distros do have tweaks that can help with jitter for external DACs and some other things. At the end of the day anyone can install a real time kernel and criple mixing so you can get bit perfect. AP when I used it was trying to force the use of jack, which I wouldn't really call important for playback in any way.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #27 of 57
Most USB DAC support asynchronous mode, so generally I am questioning why do you need real time kernel? I got very good results with Raspberry Pi and Debian. It seems supports up to 192khz sampling rate over HDMI (some improved ALSA), but unfortunately 16 bits only. I use Music-barrel as web interfaced player, and music collection is stored on 500Gb USB drive. Raspberry Pi is directly connected to DENON receiver, so it uses DAC from there. I plan to buy another Raspberry Pi for listening using headphones, however.. My current problem that Music-barrel isn't performing well for 2.8Mhz DSD files and completely useless for 5.6Mhz. However I hope to fix issue at least for 2.8Mhz since SACD encode in this sampling rate. Otherwise I have no problem with any other format up to 32/192 (FLAC, WavPACK, APE).
I also run ubuntu on my desktop. I use mostly GD-Audio USB DAC. Generally I satisfied with quality. Although my desktop has low grade Celeron processor, I have no issues with 2.8, and 5.6 DSD including DST compressed. Recently I purchased iFi nano hoping to connect to Raspberry pi for headphone listening, but as I already reported quality of iFi nano isn't acceptable for my ears.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #28 of 57
Real time kernels and near realtime kernels can help with jitter for all dac's. Asynchronous or not. At the very least it can relieve the load on the re clocking mechanism used. That said, having sufficient jitter to require a real time kernel to alleviate it would not be pretty hard on a modern machine. Ironically the USB implementation on the pi sucks and could definitely benefit from all the help it can get. A half way modern machine using alsa and the correct settings to achieve bit perfect audio will of course not need a realtime kernel. The use of jack in AP Linux requires a realtime kernel though.

Oct 20, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 57
I'm using ap-linux (audiophile linux) version 3 running on an older Toshiba laptop (Satellite c655).  Works great (Using Geek Out IEM100).  Yes it's based on Arch.

As to the difference between an "audiophile" oriented linux distro and anything else (Ubuntu, which I run on my desktop, for example) - the ap-linux distro has everything that's not directly related to replaying digital music stripped out.  No wifi, no graphics card support, etc.  Theory is this (a) frees up the CPU so it's not getting interrupts that can cause drop-outs when playing hi-rez files, (b) eliminates EMI from wifi / bluetooth networks that (might) lower the signal to noise ratio.  Also, ap-linux comes with the mpd configuration set for about as close to "out of the box" plug and play with hi-rez PCM and DSD files as it's possible to get.  It also provides a fairly basic set of windowed tools for examing sound cards, turning DSD support on/off, selecting the appropriate DAC, and so forth.  Makes it much easier for someone who doesn't want to wade through pages of mpd configuration instructions to get the system up and running.  Also comes with DeadBeef and the  Cantata mpd front-end preinstalled and again, they work right out of the box, at least with the Dragonfly and the Geek Out.

Compared to the hair pulling I was doing to get Ubuntu to talk to my DACs without resampling / otherwise mucking up the digital data (Pulse is the devil's spawn), ap-linux is a breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back