Audiophile, High Quality Rpi DAC and an out of the box music player image for Raspberry Pi
Jan 3, 2014 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jring

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

since some have asked about using a raspberry pi as a music player before - and the resulting challenges with it's not so ideal USB implementation, I'll post the link to two projects I just found - I hope it hasn't been posted before but I didn't find anything on it while searching the forum...

http://www.tjaekel.com/T-DAC/raspi.html

It's a little DAC board with a PCM1794A connecting to the RPi via I2S and supported by current raspbian kernels - unlike before when I2S audio on RPi required higher unix wizardry...
Full DIY documentation seems available although it's not really open hardware as commercial use is prohibited.

There also seems to be a software project called volumio (http://volumio.org/) for RPi and some other little arm boards which can use this DAC (and lots of others) as a headless music player playing music from your USB disc or NAS while being operated via client programs on phone, tablet or PC or web client. This is basically a similar setup like I built some years ago on a different arm device but as easy as putting an RPi image on to an SD Card...

Has anybody messed around with either? I'll at least have a look at volumio and post what I saw...
Not yet sure about the DAC as I have an ODAC which is running fine on my current rig (and maybe on RPi too nowadays - there was a lot of work being done on the USB problems). Also the RPi DAC seems to require almost superhuman fine pitch/QFP SMD soldering skills (or a reflow oven or rework station) - although the designer offers PCBs with the most tricky parts presoldered at very reasonable prices.

Joachim

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #2 of 8
Volumio is great.  I'm using it daily.  Currently, this is just a connection to a Creative USB Soundblaster MP3+, but that will change when the Geek Out ships.

It sounds like the Raspberry Pi is limited to 24/96kHz over USB DAC.  I'm considering a Cubie (SATA for storage!) or a Beaglebone Black to deal with this issue.  But, so far, I don't have any DSD or 24/192 audio, so it's not been an issue for me.

If you have any questions about Volumio, I'd be happy to help.

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 8
  Volumio is great.  I'm using it daily.  Currently, this is just a connection to a Creative USB Soundblaster MP3+, but that will change when the Geek Out ships.

It sounds like the Raspberry Pi is limited to 24/96kHz over USB DAC.  I'm considering a Cubie (SATA for storage!) or a Beaglebone Black to deal with this issue.  But, so far, I don't have any DSD or 24/192 audio, so it's not been an issue for me.

If you have any questions about Volumio, I'd be happy to help.

Hi,

I already had a look at volumio - worked as expected and looks nice but I did not keep the setup. I have a goflex net (hacked seagate nas device - with dual SATA ports und GBit Ether) with debian and mpd driving a behringer UCA202 or ODAC/O2 since ages. So volumio only gives a really nice gui... I might try to put this on my goflex if I find time...

Or replace the goflex with a cubietruck... which seems to make a nice server platform too.

Joachim

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 8
  I have contemplated replacing the Pi with a cubietruck.

If you get one, please do post your experiences - my goflex seems to be cpu bound for big SMB file transfers at ca. 50MByte/s read and 35MByte/s write. While this is certainly not shabby the disc could do a bit faster. MPD still plays on nice then with increased priority, but starts stuttering with FLAC when browsing very big folders (or other long random IO load).

Also memory is not too plentifull with 128MB on the goflex, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit the volumio web gui...

Joachim

Feb 3, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 8
I have my bedroom system using a raspberry pi with a dacmagic as a source. The nice thing about it is it resumes playing from where it had stopped when it was shut down. I can load music to it from my NAS and control other aspects of it using my phone. Pretty happy with it.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 8
I have borrowed my brothers Raspberry Pi with Hifi Berry

http://www.hifiberry.com/

Running volumio to try out with my Crack. I have been thinking of getting one and mounting it onto the back of the Crack. Still have some more listening to do. Currently running iTunes and streaming via Airplay both wired and wifi from pc, iphone, ipad.

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 8
Hey guys!

I'm thinking about transforming my Pi into a networked DAC feeder...
I don't have a DAC yet. I was planning on getting a Schiit Modi for my computer. The option of being able to setup also in the living room sounds awesome.
I'm mostly wondering which way to go to feed the Modi through USB...Powered HUB or 5V 2A Power supply.

Also, do you guys have any preference between Rune Audio and Fidelio?
P.S: Sorry if this thread is considered too old...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back