Audiophile grade CD in mono
Mar 11, 2011 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jazzychu

Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend a good sounding CD, not in stereo, but in mono?

The reason for this is to test different cable setup in my speaker system, with single or bi-wire.  I assume I can have listen to two speakers at the same time, to judge what is the best setup.  Unfortunately my current AVR (used as preamp) does not have a mono function.

I know this is not exactly music related, but what else forum I can to put this under?

Mar 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 13
Just tried Audacity but the converted mono file is just terrible,  There could be further editing to do, but I still prefer to find a ready made CD.

Has anyone tried this to compare different speaker cables from right to left at the same time?

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 13
Just about any early 50s jazz album will do, but you aren't going to hear cables. The acoustic differences in the room from left to right are all you'll hear.

Mar 12, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 13
Some of the 2010-2011 Nat King Cole SACD remasters from Analogue Productions are in mono or have mono mixes on the CD layer. I have all of the ones that have been released so far and they sound really good.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=nat%2Cking%2Ccole&categoryID=4

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 13
John Mellencamp: "No better than this".

Mar 13, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Mar 14, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
I just read through an old thread where LFF recommended Dave Brubeck - Time Out in mono to someone. He says it sounds great.

I did but it's hard to come by in excellent quality. Once you find a clean mono copy...be prepared for some audio bliss!

Quote:
I have to go along with Asr on the Analogue Productions Nat King Cole CD. I have Love is the Thing and can attest to the audiophile quality of the CD. It has SACD, Redbook and Mono tracks. It can be had on Amazon for $25.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Thing-Nat-King-Cole/dp/B003UUFH46/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1300071433&sr=1-3 

I would totally recommend the same thing. If you are looking for strictly mono only - get the SACD of "After Midnight". It's amazing.

Mar 14, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:

I figured it would be hard to find. I'm assuming it's on CD.. what year was it released so I can try to find it?

It's not available on CD...only vinyl.

If you want an audiophile grade mono digital source, your best bet is the Steve Hoffman remaster of the Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" or the above mentioned Nat King Cole SACD's.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
It's not available on CD...only vinyl.

Thanks LFF
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back