Audiophile Frank Sinatra suggestions
Nov 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #31 of 41
I was wondering if LFF could give feedback on the recent 'Come Fly With Me' in HDTracks? For some reason it sounds among the worst that I have heard of this album, though my copies of it have been in vinyl or the Capitol collection, which is not the lowest comparable.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #32 of 41
I haven't found the format to be at all related to the sound quality in Sinatra. It is always the remastering. The most recent remasterings of his albums are awful. That's what newer releases use. Better to find used copies of the older CD releases. High bitrates don't matter in this stuff. It sounded great on vinyl so it can potentially sound great on CD.

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #33 of 41
  I was wondering if LFF could give feedback on the recent 'Come Fly With Me' in HDTracks? For some reason it sounds among the worst that I have heard of this album, though my copies of it have been in vinyl or the Capitol collection, which is not the lowest comparable.

The Come Fly With Me on HDTracks is the mono version of the album. It's probably the best digital release thus far but it's far from properly remastered. It sounds like a slightly tweaked version of the master that's missing the warmth and life-like nature that I have become accustomed to in Capitol recordings of this era. Definitely needs to be re-eq'd at a minimum.

FWIW, I actually bought it.

If you are ever at a meet where I am at, feel free to stop by and listen to my Sinatra collection. :wink:

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #34 of 41

The Come Fly With Me on HDTracks is the mono version of the album. It's probably the best digital release thus far but it's far from properly remastered. It sounds like a slightly tweaked version of the master that's missing the warmth and life-like nature that I have become accustomed to in Capitol recordings of this era. Definitely needs to be re-eq'd at a minimum.

FWIW, I actually bought it.

If you are ever at a meet where I am at, feel free to stop by and listen to my Sinatra collection. :wink:

Yeah, I would love to do that. Do you spin vinyl at meets? I would like to hear a grey label Sinatra Sings for Only The Lonely (Is it still a grey label in Stereo?)

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #35 of 41
Hey guys. Forgive the resurrection. Newbie question. I came across a good condition pressing of Sinatra Basie lp. Reprise stereo pressing. At first spin (on my budget set up at my lady's place) it seems something is missing. Basie's piano is recessed as well as bass, Frank Wess' flute. As if something is wrong with the lp or my set up. It's a direct drive technics with SL-Q2 with Stanton 881S with the correct Jico Shibata replacement stylus (can't remember model# now). Taken plenty of care is setting it up correctly. It's pretty close to perfect. I think it could be the LP. I'm sure some Sinatra aficionados have come across this pressing. I'll try it on my SL1200 MKII with at440mla later today. Something tells me I'll get similar results. Is this common with this pressing? I know it's common for the vocals to be in front and this was Frank's label, but it seems a little much.

Dec 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #36 of 41
Can't comment on Come Fly With Me, but I bought This Is Sinatra from HDTracks some weeks back just to compare it against the EMI 21 CD  version I already had.  Can't say the downloads bad but the EMI CD version is definitly superior.
Of course everyones got an opinion but you know what they say about opinions. LOL.  Personally as an all around set I find the EMI 21 CD set the best sounding Sinatra collection of his Capitol years available.
Of course if you like scratches, ticks, pops, wow, flutter, groove jumping, and knowing the media is in a self-distructive mode with each use, you can always buy lps.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #38 of 41
Thanks for the excellent info! I bought the Sinatra MFSL box only to find out after that the tapes were screwed with after FS left Capitol so now I'm trying to get mono grey labels I've had half decent luck in Philadelphia but may have to go to ebay for a couple titles Anyway thanks for setting me on the right path..Jeff

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #39 of 41
On digital, the general rule of thumb is that the original CD release is MUCH better than the later remastering. Too much monkey business and sweetening in the later remaster.

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #40 of 41
On digital, the general rule of thumb is that the original CD release is MUCH better than the later remastering. Too much monkey business and sweetening in the later remaster.
Chasing down original vinyl as well as reel tape was able to track down early grey label as well add 9:00 Capitol I'm doing good I'm almost done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back