Audiophile Company :D
Nov 15, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #2 of 17
Very broad question. Mostly because there are a number of ways to look at "best" - do you mean:

- Best selling?
- Best looking?
- Best fitting?
- Best measuring?
- Most expensive?
- Best supported?
etc..

Anyways, if I had to throw out an answer, I'd probably posit Koss. They've been around forever, they have a wide range of products, and probably the best customer service/warranty of any consumer electronics company (if not any company period - honestly I think Briggs & Riley (they make luggage) is the only other company that has been so consistently "good" in my experience). But this doesn't mean their products are the best to the exclusion of all others, or that their products are the best choice for a given person.

There are many good headphone companies out there - Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, STAX, Beyerdynamic, Sony, Ultrasone, AKG, Grado, and many others that have been around for a long time, make good products (and have many happy customers), and generally stand behind their products. So I don't know if it's possible to say there is a clear-cut "best" option.

At the end of the day I wouldn't worry so much about what company is "overall best" (because that's unknowable), or what "wins" at the Consumer-Reports game; instead I would worry about what is best for you and your tastes. What looks right to you may look completely askew to someone else.

Nov 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
- Most expensive?

BTW - and I think you'd agree obobs - this is just about the stupidest possible indicator of "bestness" there is.

I'd beware, or be very skeptical at the very least, of "best of" lists that are organized in a highest-to-lowest price manner.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #4 of 17
BTW - and I think you'd agree obobs - this is just about the stupidest possible indicator of "bestness" there is.

I'd beware, or be very skeptical at the very least, of "best of" lists that are organized in a highest-to-lowest price manner.

Yeah. I still think ssrock64's "The List" is cool though. But it isn't a ranking of performance or anything, and I don't think that kind of connection should be drawn in general (sure, price tells us *some* things, but it often hides details more than it fleshes them out).

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 17
325 commonly has its detractors.
Quote:
Has Grado Labs ever produced a bad headphone? Thou shall not mention the Grado iGi or iGrado.

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:
why don't you try this thread and find out for yourself...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-50-headphones-compared

Again, not to put too fine a point on it, but...

Quote:

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #11 of 17
Best company in terms of consistent sound quality? STAX. Overall, including value? HiFiMan. Best value in headphones? Koss ESP/950, as long as you can get them <$700. Best headphones ever made? No such thing. Different headphones are better with different things.

A top 20 or 50 list is a ridiculous and irresponsible thing, and the ones being circulated and praised nowadays are simply a parade of unobtainium and the most expensive cans. That's not only inaccurate, it's often unethical.

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
A top 20 or 50 list is a ridiculous and irresponsible thing, and the ones being circulated and praised nowadays are simply a parade of unobtainium and the most expensive cans. That's not only inaccurate, it's often unethical.

So if I worked for a company that sold the headphones that I rated best, could that be considered unethical? 
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 17
So if I worked for a company that sold the headphones that I rated best, could that be considered unethical?  :wink:

I believe that anyone who is a MOT needs to be held to a higher degree of scrutiny than others, and accept that some folks will be skeptical of their findings, even in the best of situations. Also, people should take "top #" lists with a truckload of salt and never use them as a replacement for due diligence in critical listening. A list isn't Gospel and it isn't proof.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Has Grado Labs ever produced a bad headphone? Thou shall not mention the Grado iGi or iGrado.

SR-40? (note: I've never heard them).

That's purely a taste thing. I have the MS2i (close cousin of 325i) and it has a unique and treble happy sound signature not everybody will love.

I agree with this. The SR-325 aren't "bad" but they aren't for everyone - build quality, performance, etc is easily to par for their price though. But if you don't like their specific sound, that's another story.

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
Best company in terms of consistent sound quality? STAX. Overall, including value? HiFiMan. Best value in headphones? Koss ESP/950, as long as you can get them <$700. Best headphones ever made? No such thing. Different headphones are better with different things.

STAX has the best sound quality of all company's? Do tell why, and i agree with you with hifiman. i find myself very impressed by them and sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back