Audiophile Changing your Musical Taste?
Aug 20, 2007 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

pow3rtr1p

100+ Head-Fier
At least for me, I've noticed a lot of my favorite bands don't get the listening time they used to. A lot of the music I used to listen to was underground, up and coming bands with a very small budget for recording or a self-produced record. Now, I've started only listening to the bands that have $100k production costs and such, because they show off my sound quality more.

Anyone else find that they stopped listening to some of their favorite bands just because their CDs weren't as high of quality as some other bands?

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 26
For a second, yes, but ultimately I reverted back to my old self once I decided to be happy with my gear.

Audiophillia is a consumer disease in which the addict is constantly looking for improvement that can only be attained by throwing money out his window. With more exposure to 'audiophile' equipment the user's tolerance increases, and soon the addict will be fueling his habit with extraordinary amounts of money spent relative to the improvement seen.

If you know an addict, don't hesitate to seek help. People can come back from the depths of Audiophillia.

wink.gif

--Illah

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a second, yes, but ultimately I reverted back to my old self once I decided to be happy with my gear.

Audiophillia is a consumer disease in which the addict is constantly looking for improvement that can only be attained by throwing money out his window. With more exposure to 'audiophile' equipment the user's tolerance increases, and soon the addict will be fueling his habit with extraordinary amounts of money spent relative to the improvement seen.

If you know an addict, don't hesitate to seek help. People can come back from the depths of Audiophillia.

wink.gif

--Illah

Well said

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

wink.gif

--Illah

So true.

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 26
I'm listening to the new Liars album right now and enjoying the heck out of it. Thus it couldn't of change my taste that much.

But I do appreciate good recordings more than I used to, so yes and no.

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 26
I listen to whatever I like. If I get lucky and the recording happens to be great and I can take full advantage of my equipment, then that's a plus. Lately my musical tastes have been towards bands with bad/poor recording quality. Oh well...the musics good.

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pow3rtr1p /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least for me, I've noticed a lot of my favorite bands don't get the listening time they used to. A lot of the music I used to listen to was underground, up and coming bands with a very small budget for recording or a self-produced record. Now, I've started only listening to the bands that have $100k production costs and such, because they show off my sound quality more.

Do you like music or do you like sound? You might want to just sell off your equipment and find some new interests.

SQ is a nice bonus and all, but it has absolutely no effect whatsoever in what I listen to. If it does your priorities have become seriously out of whack.

Aug 20, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #10 of 26
never affected what i listen to, just the enjoyment of it. Obviously albums that are amazingly produced and got so many levels to the sound sound great and it's a feeling of satisfaction hearing all the minute little details.

but the biggest thing and probably more surprisingly is listening to very amateur and home-made cd's, early EP's etc.. after getting swirled into joanna newsoms little world (ys & milk-eyed..) i listened to her first 2 EP's and you just get the whole picture/feeling from the recording, because it isn't perfect, because you can hear all the raw energy, it's like being there and you can appreciate it.

so i wouldn't say it's changed my music preference or musical taste, in a weird sort of way it's made me listen to recordings that aren't all that great and recordings which may have been difficult to listen to on a "average" system rather than the best of the best of production.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 26
i used to listen to a lot of live recordings (classical) but not so much now due to the poor recording quality. do i miss them. not really. because the music really never sounded better.

Aug 20, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #12 of 26
Whenever I make a change to my system I go through a phase where I will listen to music with higher standards of production. Fortunately, after a short time, the music wins out over production values.

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 26
My musical taste have changed, but it's because I've been exposed to more music that before I didn't know existed. The only time that recording quality plays a factor is if it is so horrific I can hear the flaws on my KSC75. Other than that it's all about the music.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

wink.gif

--Illah

Wise words my friend......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back