Audiophile CD's
Jan 29, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by sliberman
AAAARRRRGHHHH!
Visions of expensive SACD player being bought.....

Ditto
biggrin.gif
Thought I could do without SACD but....
frown.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #32 of 53
Jan 30, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #33 of 53
Well, I wasn't able to pick up the Bill Evans Live at the Village Vanguard XRCD...they simply didn't have it at my local Tower. I did pick up the SACD version, though, so I hope the sound will be pleasing. I'm itching to hear it now, but I don't have the time
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2003 at 12:25 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally posted by yage
In relation to the Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 3 "Organ", does the XRCD clean up some of the problems of the "Living Stereo" CD reissue? I tried out the reissue disc and I remember it sounding a bit thin and rough around the edges - worse than the other "Living Stereo" reissues I own. And since the XRCD is so damn expensive, I went with a Telarc release - the one with Michael Murray at the organ and Eugene Ormandy conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra (an equally fine performance, in my opinion).

The XRCD remastering definitely improves the sound as compared
to the RCA edition. The sound is much more natural.

I have the Michael Murray/Ormandy version on LP! This was
the first performance of the symphony that I heard. Overall
the sound is very good, specially the strings and organ. But
the performance lacks some energy. I have other performances
on CD, and each has its own strengths and weak points.
Levine with the Berlin Phil. is also a good one (impressive brass
in the final section), as well as
an older recording with Bareboim and a French orchestra.
This is a very difficult symphony to get everything right...

Jan 30, 2003 at 1:46 AM Post #35 of 53
As far audiophile cds go, one that's a lot of fun that I'm enjoying a lot these days is Diane Krall "Live In Paris" - a really nice sounding disc.

Feb 2, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #37 of 53
After reading the recomendation for Mapleshade from a pair of ears I trust (Thanks tanfenton!
smily_headphones1.gif
), I checked out their website and picked up the following:

Mapleshade's Music Festival
John Cocuzzi Quintet - Swingin' and Burnin'
C.I. Williams - When Alto Was King
Sunny Sumter - Sunny
Al Lee - Ain't Playing The Game

All I can say is that I'm totally blown away by the performances and the recording quality! I think I'm addicted...I've got 12 more CDs on order!

Feb 2, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #38 of 53
Mapleshade is a great label with a lot of fantastic CDs out. So often audiophile labels put out great sounding recordings of music you don't care to listen to. Mapleshade puts out great music that sounds good.

Feb 4, 2003 at 5:06 AM Post #39 of 53
i have a few from sheffield labs and i am wondering if someone here has heard these titles?
these are audiofile reference series cd's:

1) james newton howard and friends
2) clair marlo - let it go
3)michael ruff-speaking in melodies
4)freeway philharmonic orchestra - sonic detour
5)robert stanton-acoustic storm (contemporary guitar)
6) the sheffiels pop experience
7)sheffield jazz experience

these cd's use what they call 20+ to 16 ultra matrix processing

the sound quality is excellent and natural.

ill recommend these cd's if you can find them . some of them are oop.

Feb 4, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

i have a few from sheffield labs and i am wondering if someone here has heard these titles?

Screwdriver:

You might be interested in knowing that JVC is now releasing some older Sheffield Labs CD's in their new XRCD24 series. I was thinking of picking up Amanda McBroom - Growing up in Hollywood Town.

Feb 13, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #43 of 53
Upon kpfeifle suggestion, I bought myself the Harry Edison and Eddie Davis MFSL CD on Ebay. Absolutely fantastic, huge soundstage, and very well recorded. Since this album is not as popular as the Pink Floyd DSOTM, the price is not jacked up as high. Now that I am suck into buying CD on ebay and I'm sure there are other rare gems out there, so please keep the suggestions coming.

Feb 13, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Upon kpfeifle suggestion, I bought myself the Harry Edison and Eddie Davis MFSL CD on Ebay.

Another Convert
biggrin.gif

Glad to know you liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back