Audiophile cables, an interesting question.
Sep 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,081 of 1,186
  it's simple:
-my audiologist told me I can't hear past 16khz. then I go claim that I heard jitter at 35khz from that cheap cable.
-some dude told me about his job where that one cable screwed up his radio signal. I'll go repeat that some cables roll off high frequencies, and forget about the part clearly stating it was outside audio range. forgetaboutit!!!!
you can change steel's sturdiness with cryo freezing. shut up and take my money!!! I need to cryo freeze all my copper and silver cables now!!!! it will improve sound, because sturdiness and sound are linked.  and it will work because silver and copper... well it's like steel you know, metal! I'm a genius!

when it comes to cables, rational need not apply.
that's all there is to it. forged aboud it.

"I can not hear it but I can feel it."
I would suggest a brain scan experiment to test if we can feel the sound above 20 kHz. Evil scientist 
devil_face.gif

I think I am off-topic.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #1,082 of 1,186
The tests have already been done. The answer is no.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #1,083 of 1,186
  As a scientist, I am always wondering how can people hears audible differences above 20kHz. This makes no sense and I just got replied: your system is not that expensive/analytic, blahblahblah...

-As I like to say when people claim that my system is not that expensive (it is, according to the missus) or analytic, and that is why I claim not to have the ears of a bat - chances are my system performs better than theirs, and that is why I cannot hear anything.

Short version - if content >20kHz makes for audible differences (Well, audible to a human being, to be precise), what you are hearing is not >20kHz; what you are hearing is intermodulation products of contents >20kHz; this would stem from non-linear behaviour in your system.

Then I tend to get the 'Fuhgeddaboudit, stupid ****** is never going to get it, anyway.'-look.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #1,085 of 1,186
Try googling "perception of super audible frequencies".

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #1,086 of 1,186
  You mean the brain scan? Can you give me a reference? It sounds very interesting I'd like to know more details :)

In this study, to investigate the relationship between the hypersonic effect and HFC frequencies, we divided an HFC (above 16 kHz) of recorded gamelan music into 12 band components and applied them to subjects along with an audible component (below 16 kHz) to observe changes in the alpha2 frequency component (10–13 Hz) of spontaneous EEGs measured from centro-parieto-occipital regions (Alpha-2 EEG), which we previously reported as an index of the hypersonic effect.

PLoS ONE

Sep 30, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,088 of 1,186

Hypersonic effect. 

Okay, so just looking at this paper, sounds between 16khz and 32 khz have a negative effect on Alpha EEG levels.  Above 32 khz with peaks around 80 khz the effect is positive.  So we need to maybe use 192 khz rates with a bandpass dip between 16-32 khz.  Or maybe just use MP3 and have a separate supertweeter to throw out continuous 80 khz sound.  Maybe the recordings of the gamelan as used in this research.  Or the old DSD approach with the bandpass dip as it throws out considerable ultrasonic noise above 50 khz itself. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #1,089 of 1,186
  Thanks for the reference. It will take some time for me to read the whole paper.

Don't forget to look through the references. ~13 years worth of similar research 
tongue.gif

Hypersonic effect. 

Okay, so just looking at this paper, sounds between 16khz and 32 khz have a negative effect on Alpha EEG levels.  Above 32 khz with peaks around 80 khz the effect is positive.  So we need to maybe use 192 khz rates with a bandpass dip between 16-32 khz.  Or maybe just use MP3 and have a separate supertweeter to throw out continuous 80 khz sound.  Maybe the recordings of the gamelan as used in this research.  Or the old DSD approach with the bandpass dip as it throws out considerable ultrasonic noise above 50 khz itself. 

As chance would have it, the researchers did use a DSD recorder.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,090 of 1,186

Don't forget to look through the references. ~13 years worth of similar research 
tongue.gif

As chance would have it, the researchers did use a DSD recorder.

I am a scientist, but neither working in the audio engineering society nor neural science. So reading papers worth 13 years research is difficult for me. Yet I am very interested in the fields where science meets art.
wink_face.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,091 of 1,186
Hypersonic effect. 

Worth noting that the hypersonic effect doesn't work through headphones, to quote: "The hypersonic effect is induced only when HFCs are presented to the listener's entire body surface but not when presented exclusively to the listener's ear".

So pretty much no recording format satisfies all the criteria, for good reproduction of the gamelan, without even considering hardware issues. Thats a shame because it was high on my bucket list.

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #1,093 of 1,186
I'm seeing google ads in the sidebar for noise devouring cables and power strip noise traps.

Oct 1, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #1,094 of 1,186

I need to sell contact cleaner marketed with a special formula that promises to make solder points more transparent while greatly increasing the sound stage and creating a fuller sound while smoothing out the frequency response.  If I'm really nice to everyone and bring a pretty woman along with me to a CanJam, I'd probably do ok for myself.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #1,095 of 1,186
At least contact cleaner serves a purpose. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back