Audiophile-Acceptable powered subwoofer
Sep 15, 2002 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Matt

Are there any women on this board?
Hello, all.

I'm curious to know what, if any, self-powered subwoofers are decent for headphone listening purposes? I have a loop out on the back of my headamp and think it might be put to good use feeding a sub. I am not looking for block-rocking bass, just something to round out the bottom end (and, by extension, the sound) of my Staxes. I want to sort of "Martin-Logan"-ize them in this regard.

I've seen those ridiculous ass-pods which boom, but I can't imagine they would be anywhere near acceptable for critical listening purposes.

Any ideas, fellas?

- Sir Mister Matt

Sep 15, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 19
I never did get to listen to REL. How does taht sub sound? i asked a salesman about the REL sub they had and he said somethign to the point where a REL sub sounds really deep and it makes you feel it... i was more confused when i left the store.
confused.gif

could you tell me more about teh REL sub you have?

Sep 16, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 19
On that note, are there audiophile-acceptable speakers too?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 16, 2002 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 19
zbuddah,

I have a REL Q100-E, a product which they seem to have discontinued now... Well, what can I say but that it added a big improvement to my system. It's kinda "you don't know it's there, but you surely notice its absence if you switch it off". I did not have the opportunity to A/B with other subs, I based my buy on what I read on the net (and on my budget limitations, of course
wink.gif
) and I was happy with it. Not that I'm a home-theater fan, but when I watch a movie, I put it through the stereo system and I remember when watching that "Godzilla" movie that there is a moment when that big ugly reptile walks through the city and people in an office hear its steps and get scared and stuff, well, the sub was switched on and I could hear those steps, then I switched it off and I could not hear anything. I mean, the sub really extended the low frequencies spectrum way beyond what the speakers could do. OK, Godzilla's steps do not have much in common with music, but... well, you see what I mean. With a *good* sub, you hear (feel?) new things on records you thought you knew. But it really has to be a good one, or else you might end with a boom-boom-boom on a one and only note... Any way, I did not try yet the combo "headphones + sub only" (I mean, without the speakers). Hope that helps, anyway.

Sep 16, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #6 of 19
You should shop Velodyne subs. They make great subs for every budget. I use a CHT-10 for my humble Home Theater setup. Very accurate, tight bass for only $400.

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 19
REL and ACI make killer subs

HSU Research is also a great, less expensive choice

Velodyne is good and the availability is everywhere

PSB also does a good job for the money

Always buy a sub with a built-in amp and adjustable crossover.

Sep 17, 2002 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
I'm curious to know what, if any, self-powered subwoofers are decent for headphone listening purposes? I have a loop out on the back of my headamp and think it might be put to good use feeding a sub. I am not looking for block-rocking bass, just something to round out the bottom end (and, by extension, the sound) of my Staxes. I want to sort of "Martin-Logan"-ize them in this regard.

Why don't you get that new funky looking Martin Logan one?

PS I pretty much agree with everything Tube Hunter D said (or maybe it should be Parts Hunter D?). Pay particular attention to the crossover. My sub has a pass through, but the high-pass does not get adjusted with the cutoff setting for the sub (I.E. the corresponding low-pass). I can still make it work, because the speakers themselves have their own natural built-in low-frequency cutoff filter, but if you're using full-range headphones (or even almost full-range headphones), you don't want to get a lower-mid-bass hump or nuthin'.

Sep 17, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 19
Have you investigated any of the Sunfire subwoofers? Very musical. Good old Bob Carver has made (and continues to make) some of the best audiophile gear out there.

My buddy has his hooked up with a pair of small B&W's, and what a job it does!! Not at all thumpy or boomy...nice tight bass.

If I were buying a new subwoofer, I'd make sure that I at least listened to the Sunfires before I made my purchase. That's my two cents worth...

biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 19
I have to second the Sunfire recommendation. I don't own one now since I'm in an apartment, quite the overkill. But I cannot wait until I can. The quality of sound and extension of bass is nothing short of amazing coming from such a small sub. Highly recommended.

Sep 17, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 19
Sunfire is great, but pricey. Velodyne is the best value, IMO.

SVS and HSUs are good if you're looking for more of a chest-pounding.

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 19
I would also add Tannoy to that list. I have a pro Tannoy sub in my home studio that I'm quite happy with.

Sep 17, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 19
Also take a look at the NHT powered subs. The PSB and NHT models are good values.

Velodyne has long been known as the sub company, though
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back