audionoob has 200 to spend
Jun 21, 2009 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

wavid

100+ Head-Fier
ok so recently i got a pair of sennheiser hd280s for a gift and my dad and i are about to build a cmoy in a few hours or so....so this is what i have when it comes to equipment
when i first heard my 280s on my friends ipod i was fairly impressed but knew i could get more from them...i havent started the burn in process yet but will be doing that over the next 2 weeks or so....anyway...
i plugged in my 280s to my computer....i have a A8N32-SLI-Deluxe motherboard with build in soundcard...and the sound is TERRIBLE!!! (the headphones are plugged into the green port in the back of my computer)
when no music is playing thers a realllly aanoying buzzing...and when i move the mouse i get even more buzzing ....but when i play music its awfull....i mostly listen to heavy metal..my eq is set on rock becuase i dont know how to eq yet...but with that setting at my listenin volume ther is SO much crackling...i cant even listen to it....and when ther are high pitch sounds like on solos...it strains so much...the sound is really horrible...
anyway...im planning to spend about 200$ on new equip....
what can i do to get better sound from my computer...
i will only be listenin thru my 280s for now

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 27
yea? il check it out...so i will notice a huge difference with this soundcard? btw wats differnece between pci and pci e ?
will i ever need to buy anything in the future if i want to improve my sound?
amps or dac or anything.....will it be also good if i plug my cmoy to the xonar essence? or will that not be necesary? btw how will i plug my speakers into this soundcard? my soundcard atm has the green grey yellow connectors...some kind of dell 5.1 speakers....ill mostly use headphones but sometimes speakers when guests are over

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 27
Yes you would, but if you need to use your speakers and not just your headphones. Then your other option is a Forte which also has a headphone amp also, but has connections for 5.1 speakers via adaptor that comes with the card.

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #5 of 27
The PCI version will allow you to add an expansion board to add 5.1 sound.. out of the box, its only got support for stereo sound but can do 5.1.. so right now you would only use the green connector (I think)..

Anyway, the essence is a higher quality card but if you want 5.1 sound right out of the box with a sound thats not quite as good but quite decent, then the forte is also an option

Yes you can use your CMOY with the Essence (probably with Forte too) though I'm not sure if it would be 'better' then the onboard amp on the Essence, which is quite good, all things considering.. but it'll let you choose which amp you want to use (ie. which one synergizes with your headphones better)

And you wouldn't need a DAC or AMP later .. the essence is your dac AND amp.. forte too, though as I said, not quite as good

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #7 of 27
mostly flacs

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 27
Yep, than it's your crappy source/amp path.
wink.gif

I like the idea of out-of-pc solutions but the Xonar looks very promising. Might be worth a try!

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 27
i think im gonna get the xonar....also im gonna be buying a new soundcard for my girlfriend....for music making purposes...
my friend wants to sell me a emu 0404 for 35 pounds (57$)...should i get it?
or is ther a better soundcard for music production for 50-60$?
actualy maybe the 0404 wont be needed...this would mean id have to fix up her old PC...maybe il just give up on her PC and get something for her macbook instead (theyr good for making music right?) will i need to buy anything for the macbook?

btw if the 0404 is very cheap for 57$ then maybe i should just get it anyway and build a little computer for music production? (i got a spare comp)

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 27
0404 new I can find for $80 + tax + shipping so its a good deal.. I'd say get it

The mac is okay for audio but it'll be a LOT easier for you to find software for said recording computer on the PC then on the mac

However, girls do love pretty little toys so maybe a macbook might be what SHE wants

Jun 21, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 27
ah im gonna skip on the 0404 and just use her mac ...no space for anouther comp in her house...anyway im gonna try get a xonar essence used for 100$ inc shipping...

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 27
if i can get the xonar for 100$ then il get it...if not then il wait a while...il prob find something nice and cheap on ebay
il be looking out for the xonar essence and the 0404...
and the forte (is ther more than 1?)
what other cards should i look out for for a cheap price?
im looking for 2 cards actualy...1 for headphone use that can maybe support good 5:1 sound..and 1 for music production..
i usualy get lucky and find deals for half price so it might take a while but il get a good deal

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 27
ahh 115 dollars on ebay used....2 mins left...dono if i should do it....
sry for double post...
went up in the last 25 seconds to 150 dollars...
oh well..time to look for next card
il just get the 0404 for now...ive seen 2 being sold on ebay for 40 pounds in the last month or 2....and they sell for 50 in shop...so i might be able to pick it up for 30...and thatl do me for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back