Audiominor LOD vs Fiio L3 LOD vs other cheapish LOD's for ipod / iphone
Jan 10, 2011 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

danny93

500+ Head-Fier
Hi I have a L3 in the post (comming with the E9+E7) :) but i am wondering if anyone reccomends be upgrading this LOD to a Audiominor LOD - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IPOD-LINE-OUT-DOCK-LOD-HEADPHONE-AMP-BEST-DEAL-/250720184068?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3a60166704
or any others (this seller has LOADS from different materials) also others that are not too far from this price range. I will be mainly using beyer dt770 pro 80's with ipod touch 2nd gen with the E9 + E7 when it comes :frowning2:
Do you think the SQ will be noticable if i upgrade or will it just be build quality, i am also going to purchase an Arcam Solo Neo shorty and will be getting the IRDock which is apparently an audiophile ipod dock that can be used with any player so will it work with the E9 if so will it use RCA inputs?
Also i havnt really found anywhere that talks about the L3's materials so any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!! :)
Sorry for all the questions, just really getting into all this audio stuff, I cant believe so many people (including me only a while back!) still use the apple ipod earphones haha!

Jan 11, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 26
I can't comment on the LOD listed in your post, but I can tell you that I've been using the L3 for over a year now and it is one tough cookie.  It gets used every day and twisted this way and that, and I have yet to encounter a problem.  The L3 was around 20 bucks a year ago, so it's not far off price wise.  FIIO did have the specs posted on their website at one point, and at least in comparison to the much cheaper L1 it looked pretty good to me at the time.

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 26
Jan 12, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 26
NOOOOO I had a $7 lod from fiio that was the low profile one, it worked BETTER than the "boutique-ish" LOD you just listed, save your money.  The only difference on my LOD was it was a gold neutrik, and they don't hold up very well.  The fiio one sounded better (especially once the one you were looking at started to get worn) and held up tons better, also much lower profile which in my opinion looks better/ is more practical

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 26
It's probably navships spc, LOL!

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 26
Thanks allot, you just saved me some cash there!
Also I need some 2rca/phono - 2rca/phono cables any good budget cables out there, I only need around 0.5m!!
QED ones look nice but are too expensive, I saw some nice one on amazon for £9.00

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 26
How did it work better? I have Fiio L1, AudioMinor LOD (not that one) and DIY one, I am very satisfied with the one I got from AudioMinor. I want a Low Profile one so I got L1 but didnt like it so I build one myself.

Quote:
NOOOOO I had a $7 lod from fiio that was the low profile one, it worked BETTER than the "boutique-ish" LOD you just listed, save your money.  The only difference on my LOD was it was a gold neutrik, and they don't hold up very well.  The fiio one sounded better (especially once the one you were looking at started to get worn) and held up tons better, also much lower profile which in my opinion looks better/ is more practical

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #10 of 26
Jan 17, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 26
The sound isn't always the issue, I've heard too many complaints about the durability of some of these, including the fiios. Has anyone tried the iBasso ones?

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 26

Quote:
The sound isn't always the issue, I've heard too many complaints about the durability of some of these, including the fiios. Has anyone tried the iBasso ones?

Their durability is lacking, or so I've been told.

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 26
Unfortunatly my Fiio L3 has broken, and after only 5 or so hours of use!
The casing around the connection that goes into the iPod has broken so the casing keeps falling off and the buttons have fallen off aswell.
I have treated it carefully, it just didnt feel right from the start, the buttons didnt push in well, and the adpter wasnt a smoot fit into my ipod touch 2nd gen hence i was looking for a different one.
Also i prefferably want a longer one (using it with Fiio E9)
This looks fairly nice! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Iphone-Ipod-LOD-connector-3-5mm-jack-plug-300mm-/320457158641?pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item4a9cbc2ff1
But its a bit expensive compared with the L3 or L2 which is more the price i wanted to pay! :frowning2:
What would you guys do?

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 26
That's exactly what I was afraid of. And I don't know about the ones in that link, I'm not a big ebay guy and the cable itself doesn't seem to even have a brand. What I am doing is getting an ibasso cb05 or cb07. These are around $30 but I'm okay with that because ibasso is a good and reputable brand and I haven't heard any durability issues about them.

Quote:
Unfortunatly my Fiio L3 has broken, and after only 5 or so hours of use!
The casing around the connection that goes into the iPod has broken so the casing keeps falling off and the buttons have fallen off aswell.
I have treated it carefully, it just didnt feel right from the start, the buttons didnt push in well, and the adpter wasnt a smoot fit into my ipod touch 2nd gen hence i was looking for a different one.
Also i prefferably want a longer one (using it with Fiio E9)
This looks fairly nice! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Iphone-Ipod-LOD-connector-3-5mm-jack-plug-300mm-/320457158641?pt=UK_CE_MP3Access_RL&hash=item4a9cbc2ff1
But its a bit expensive compared with the L3 or L2 which is more the price i wanted to pay! :frowning2:
What would you guys do?

Jan 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back