Audioholic's Review of Denon AH-D1000
Jun 22, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #31 of 34
Well, both are very good, which one to choose is a matter of personal preference.

If the D1000 had only a little more weight and warmth, it would have been an otstanding can. That had made it less neutral but I tend to like a presentation that is slightly forward and a little on the warm side of neutral.

Anyway, comfort is great too so I really don't think you can go wrong with the D1000. Unless your preference is similar to mine, in that case ES7 is probably the better choice.

Jul 20, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made a comparison today of D1000 and ES7, it seems as D1000 don't change much with 50+ hours of use.

Source is an old Harman Kardon CD player, HD7600, dating back to approx. 1991. It's slightly on the warm side of neutral and is not the best for creating a proper soundstage, but it's fairly dynamic. My impression is that it compares quite favourably to brand new CD players of today in the lower to mid price range. Amps are the Headfive and Harmony Design Ear 90.

For starters, D1000 is more comfortable than ES7. It seems the D1000 has at least great comfort in common with it's big brothers, the D2K and D5K. I don't think ES7 is uncomfortable but D1000 is basically the definition of comfortable. My wife agrees on this point as well.

When it comes to sound, my early impressions still hold. ES7 is more forward and with more bass quantity while D1000 is more laid back but also brighter sounding (not sure if I mistake thin for bright). The D1000 has more air but has less impact. Soft versus sharp. K701 versus Grado. Well, not really but maybe you get my point?

I may be wrong but I consider the ES7 to have a forward midrange and a rather well behaved top end. Bottom end was rather boomy to start with but it seems to settle nicely. D1000 is more neutral I would say, but the mids may be slightly recessed, at least to my ears. Comparing to how my speakers sound (B&W 803S, PMC FB1+, PMC DB1), the ES7 is much closer to these.

The song Don't get me wrong (on the re-issue of the Pretenders:Get close), sound thin and unemotional through the D1000. ES7 manages to capture the drive and emotion of the song. This difference was maintained, more or less, for all recordings I tried, ranging from classic rock/pop/blues to modern rock/pop (Neil Young, Sherman Robertson, Pretenders, Sahara Hotnights, Natalie Cole, Oh Laura) . Needless to say, I preferred the ES7 for this kind of music.

I also tried some classical music, GEMINIANI: Concerti Grossi on Harmonia Mundi, which benefited from the wider soundstage and more airy presentation of the D1000. For this recording I actually preferred D1000 over the ES7.

Overall, I prefer the ES7 over the D1000. It's not that the D1000 is bad, quite the contrary. D1000 has a lot that I like, I prefer it to my HD25-1 for instance. It's just that for me, and the music I listen to the most, D1000 is a little too soft and thin sounding compared to the ES7.

I have the D2000 on order as well, I hope the bigger brother improves on more than the bass .....

I picked this up over the weekend and agree for the most part. I say for the most part because I felt the bass is excellent. It's tight and punchy. Low notes are are accurate without being overbearing. If anything I feel it's the probably the D1000's strong point right beneath it's extraordinary comfort. As for the rest of the spectrumI usually am a fan of more laid back speakers/cans and at first I was pretty taken aback by how sharp the highs were. They were borderline sibilant w/out being sibilant if that makes sense. After a few days of burnin that's all but gone away. At the $99 price point on ebay it's a solid set of cans but Lamprologus' assertion that they overall thin is pretty spot on. Something's missing.

One more caveat, these headphones seem very flimsy. I've owned AKG240s, 271s, Sennheiser 580, 595 , Audiotechnica ATH-Pro700's and these feel the least durable by a wide margin. I know some people plan on using these on the road because they're lighweight and relatively small and to be honest, I couldn't imagine throwing them into my laptop bag without worrying about them breaking.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevhuynh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked this up over the weekend and agree for the most part. I say for the most part because I felt the bass is excellent. It's tight and punchy. Low notes are are accurate without being overbearing. If anything I feel it's the probably the D1000's strong point right beneath it's extraordinary comfort. As for the rest of the spectrumI usually am a fan of more laid back speakers/cans and at first I was pretty taken aback by how sharp the highs were. They were borderline sibilant w/out being sibilant if that makes sense. After a few days of burnin that's all but gone away. At the $99 price point on ebay it's a solid set of cans but Lamprologus' assertion that they overall thin is pretty spot on. Something's missing.

One more caveat, these headphones seem very flimsy. I've owned AKG240s, 271s, Sennheiser 580, 595 , Audiotechnica ATH-Pro700's and these feel the least durable by a wide margin. I know some people plan on using these on the road because they're lighweight and relatively small and to be honest, I couldn't imagine throwing them into my laptop bag without worrying about them breaking.

I've had some more time with mine now, and yes, I agree that the bass is very good. It's not excellent IMO, but that's because I have also heard the Denon D2000
icon10.gif
The D1000 is very good for the price but as kevhuynh says above, something is missing in the presentation. With the D2000 everything falls into place and sounds just right. The bass is better with the D2000 and I feel that the midrange is also superior with the D2000. If you like the D1000, you'll most likely love the D2000.

Jul 20, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He could as well just put the resistance and the sensitivity values in a nice scheme, a lot more objective then "It's about 10% louder
redface.gif
".

this guy is right but ive never seen an audiophile be happy with them creative zen aurvanas eitha
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back