Audiofly AF180 Performance Series Impression&Appreciation Thread
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #151 of 160
Quick question: What're the differences between the respective MKIs and the MKIIs? 3rd party mmcx compatibility, or just cosmetic?

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #153 of 160
Apr 5, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #154 of 160
Got the AF160 for $225. Not too bad at that price. These are very mid centric. Bass starts to roll off a bit early but not drastically so, and it can still go fairly deep and with decent weight. Same goes goes for the treble, and it is very smooth and free of peaks. Upper mids are quite prominent, as they gradually rise in volume from 1-4khz. Well produced music sounds lovely with those midrange instruments and vocals but some tracks can hit that 4khz a little too hard. Soundstage seems adequate to my ears and the earphones are indeed the comfiest I've owned. I wasn't sure where to write this but I thought these could use some feedback on here. I'll probably let go of them so if anyone wants them at a good price shoot me a PM.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #155 of 160
I am posting here even if it's the mk2...

Received the AF180 mk2 yesterday and I thought I'd share a few pics and impressions.

Image d’iOS (147).jpg

Image d’iOS (149).jpg

First audition out of PAW Gold Touch. Impressive resolution and detail retrieval, very open soundstage and upper treble extension. Reference tuning with a vivid touch if I had to sum up very first impressions. Great on accoustic and instrumental music, maybe a tad beyond my personal sensitivity treble wise on some recording with the stock complys.

Image d’iOS (150).jpg

Since I have 3 bore size custom silicon tips from Custom Art I happen to have tips that do fit and... it's a much fuller sounding unit. More bass and lower mids presence meaning fuller mids and tamed treble that don't push my personal sensitivity. Resolution is pretty impressive and the AF180 mk2 even balanced out a bit by the tips is a very vivid IEM. Need some time with it and cycle through my test tracks as usual for reviews.

Image d’iOS (145).jpg

Attachments

• Image d’iOS (148).jpg
    Image d’iOS (148).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #156 of 160
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #157 of 160
I am next on the AF180 Pro tour. Looking forward to hearing these.
20200901_202937[1].jpg

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #158 of 160
Hello.

Are there any sound differences between the first version from 2014 and the MK2 version?

The audiofool.reviews measurement looks strange in the bass range. I was able to purchase a brand new AF180 MK2 on eBay, where some remaining stock has been selling very cheaply over the last few weeks. I paid €60 including shipping.

The measurement of Tyl (inner fidelity) at the time showed a rather neutral, straight line in the bass range without falling off quickly, as can be seen on audiofool.reviews.

I've been listening for several days now. Ok, I don't hear deep bass storms, but I don't actually hear such a steep bass burst either!?

The price is of course a joke. The resolution isn't at an absolute high-end level, but it's not bad either. The stage is rather wide and deep, but nothing particularly negative.
With a little more deep bass via EQ, the MK2 sounds a little more natural, but it sounds good even without EQ.

Did your AF180 MK2 tour actually take place back then?

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #159 of 160
Hello.

Are there any sound differences between the first version from 2014 and the MK2 version?

The audiofool.reviews measurement looks strange in the bass range. I was able to purchase a brand new AF180 MK2 on eBay, where some remaining stock has been selling very cheaply over the last few weeks. I paid €60 including shipping.

The measurement of Tyl (inner fidelity) at the time showed a rather neutral, straight line in the bass range without falling off quickly, as can be seen on audiofool.reviews.

I've been listening for several days now. Ok, I don't hear deep bass storms, but I don't actually hear such a steep bass burst either!?

The price is of course a joke. The resolution isn't at an absolute high-end level, but it's not bad either. The stage is rather wide and deep, but nothing particularly negative.
With a little more deep bass via EQ, the MK2 sounds a little more natural, but it sounds good even without EQ.

Did your AF180 MK2 tour actually take place back then?
from what i recall MK 1 was able to hit a sharp peak at times around 6-8K. I was glad the MK2 fixed it. I thought age finally caught up and i wasn't able to be affected by sharp peaks, but i listened to the MK1 and the peak definitely was still there.

Pity they disappeared during covid. Almost no one wants to focus on ADSR performance.
These days everybody's grandma keeps fixating on FR curves and forgetting the adsr part. Why just look at FR curves when everybody knows louder isn't better? Sound also long or short (warm/sterile), near or far, in front or behind.

There needs to be more "flat but warm capable" IEMs and wireless buds. Especially with noise cancellation, we no longer have to compensate with v-shapes anymore.

Jan 24, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #160 of 160
6-8K really? I thought there wasn't enough volume in this area on the MK1. This is what it looked like when I measured it at innerfidelity.
180MK1.jpg

Here is the measurement of the MK2 from audiofool.reviews

180.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back