Audiofly AF140 Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN Tour Thread and Impressions
Oct 22, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #121 of 137
I have been listening to my Fidue A83 lately instead of my AF140, but tonight I went back to the AF140.

The Fidue are good, but to me they are to bright and the sound lacks weight, they are also pretty analytical. The AF140 are more "musical", more atmospheric and the sound has a lot more weight and depth to it. This could be that I just prefer a darker sound signature, I find the AF140 to be a lot like the HD650 signature wises, which is what I use at home. 

I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of AF180 soon though 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #122 of 137

By darker I mean the overall tonality and expression of the IEM will be deeper, the note weight thicker, considerably less clear than Brainwavs B2, ie, less obvious clarity. Basically, you can tune an IEM in a few different ways. Bright/analytical, neutral, or dark (and anywhere in between). AF140 is most certainly on the darker side of this spectrum. I cannot remember the position of AF140's mid-range. Usually, if you come from something bright (like B2) many other IEMs will sound veiled or muffled straight afterwards however, the brain is very skillful at adjusting within 5-10 minutes. Unless of course you simply cannot agree with the tonality, then you have the wrong signature for your preference.

The best way to go into any IEM purchase is try and audition the earphone(s) first, this is the safest most effective way. If you cannot demo the IEM try searching for stores which have a return policy in case it all goes pear shape. For example, even myself from my experience here will not spend $500> without an audition first because I won't risk getting bitten.

AF140 most certainly have deeper/harder bass than Westone 4 and SE535, I know that much. AF140 low-end is quite the performer.

Edit: I will add, if you want to keep the same brightish tonality in the mids with more bass look at Dunu DN-1000 hybrid IEM.

You've described that very well, thanks again!  Great to know about its bass performance too.

Those dn1000's look pretty good but I figured I should try something different.  The af140's sound really interesting so I've ordered them.  Besides, thought I should support the local company, plus it makes the warranty situation easier.

Are these okay without an amp?  I'm just not bothered using my Fiio e11 anymore and prefer to go straight from my phone or laptop.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #123 of 137

You've described that very well, thanks again!  Great to know about its bass performance too.

Those dn1000's look pretty good but I figured I should try something different.  The af140's sound really interesting so I've ordered them.  Besides, thought I should support the local company, plus it makes the warranty situation easier.

Are these okay without an amp?  I'm just not bothered using my Fiio e11 anymore and prefer to go straight from my phone or laptop.

Sure, you won't need an amp for these.

If you've read this thread you'll see I almost purchased AF140 myself. 

Enjoy them, be sure to pop back sometime to tell us your thoughts.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #124 of 137
I'd recommend using them with something other than your phone as a source. When I first got mine I used them with my Samsung Galaxy 3, they sounded ok but when I went from my phone to using my FiiO X3ii there was a pretty noticable change in sound quality.

Maybe it is just the Galaxy 3 and other phones might do a better job. With the Galaxy 3 the trebble is rolled off a lot and they sounded a lot muddier and muffled.

With the X3ii the trebble is much better, they are much clearer and smoother sounding with better soundstage and bass.

This is my experience with using them with both my phone and FiiO X3ii anyway. They still sounded pretty ok with my phone, but something like the X3ii will get even better sound qualty out of them.

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #125 of 137
I'd recommend using them with something other than your phone as a source. When I first got mine I used them with my Samsung Galaxy 3, they sounded ok but when I went from my phone to using my FiiO X3ii there was a pretty noticable change in sound quality.

Maybe it is just the Galaxy 3 and other phones might do a better job. With the Galaxy 3 the trebble is rolled off a lot and they sounded a lot muddier and muffled.

With the X3ii the trebble is much better, they are much clearer and smoother sounding with better soundstage and bass.

This is my experience with using them with both my phone and FiiO X3ii anyway. They still sounded pretty ok with my phone, but something like the X3ii will get even better sound qualty out of them.

Thanks, I'll be sure to play around with different DAP's to test it out.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #126 of 137
I received my AF140's from Noisy Motel a couple of days ago.  I've got to say that their service is great and delivery was really quick, especially when they used express postage, at their expense, because I didn't quite understand their stock status.  I highly recommend them as their communication via mail was excellent.  This is so important to me when purchasing online.

Anyway, back to the AF140's, initial impressions is that it ticks all boxes.  From the way it's been packaged, the design and materials used here are a really nice touch, I love the attention to detail.  Then the hardware itself looks and feels premium and thankfully fits my ear shape very snug.  Unfortunately OOTB the right ear piece was faulty and it's producing a slight static/distortion sort of sound.  It's most evident with vocals at higher ranges.  That said, I tried to ignore the fault and played a good range of my favourite tunes for a couple of hours and they're awesome.  For me, they sound exactly as what's been described in this thread by all that have enjoyed them.  Definitely an upgrade over my Brainwavz B2; overall the sound is richer with plenty more bass (as much as I'd wanted, yaaay sub-bass), I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I'm posting the AF140's to Audiofly today.  Will be back to further my impressions once I've sorted warranty and spent more time with them.

Edit:  I should note that Audiofly's service/communication is ace too!  Very prompt and what you'd expect after buying IEM's in this price range.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #127 of 137

Thanks, I'll be sure to play around with different DAP's to test it out.

Looks like the new XDuoo X3 would be a good match for the AF140

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782912/xduoo-x3-dsd-24bit-192khz-cs4398-chip-lossless-music-player
  I received my AF140's from Noisy Motel a couple of days ago.  I've got to say that their service is great and delivery was really quick, especially when they used express postage, at their expense, because I didn't quite understand their stock status.  I highly recommend them as their communication via mail was excellent.  This is so important to me when purchasing online.

Anyway, back to the AF140's, initial impressions is that it ticks all boxes.  From the way it's been packaged, the design and materials used here are a really nice touch, I love the attention to detail.  Then the hardware itself looks and feels premium and thankfully fits my ear shape very snug.  Unfortunately OOTB the right ear piece was faulty and it's producing a slight static/distortion sort of sound.  It's most evident with vocals at higher ranges.  That said, I tried to ignore the fault and played a good range of my favourite tunes for a couple of hours and they're awesome.  For me, they sound exactly as what's been described in this thread by all that have enjoyed them.  Definitely an upgrade over my Brainwavz B2; overall the sound is richer with plenty more bass (as much as I'd wanted, yaaay sub-bass), I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

I'm posting the AF140's to Audiofly today.  Will be back to further my impressions once I've sorted warranty and spent more time with them.

Edit:  I should note that Audiofly's service/communication is ace too!  Very prompt and what you'd expect after buying IEM's in this price range.

Shame about the faulty right ear piece, but at least you know you like the sound of them.  In my opinion they seem to get better with time, I know burn in is a controversial topic,  but I honestly believe the AF140 require some burn in and sound even better after a week or two. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #128 of 137
  Looks like the new XDuoo X3 would be a good match for the AF140

http://www.head-fi.org/t/782912/xduoo-x3-dsd-24bit-192khz-cs4398-chip-lossless-music-player
Shame about the faulty right ear piece, but at least you know you like the sound of them.  In my opinion they seem to get better with time, I know burn in is a controversial topic,  but I honestly believe the AF140 require some burn in and sound even better after a week or two. 

Sorry, when I said DAP I was thinking more on the lines of testing with different devices i.e. laptop, phone, desktop etc, my bad. 

If I was to consider a new portable DAC/AMP which I could use with my phone and computers, what do you recommend?  The Fiio Q1, E17K and E18 look good, but what are some alternatives? 

I've never done a burn-in before and found it interesting that the Audiofly instructions recommended doing it!  So I'll definitely give it a go.

What genres are you listening to SieB?

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #129 of 137

Sorry, when I said DAP I was thinking more on the lines of testing with different devices i.e. laptop, phone, desktop etc, my bad. 

If I was to consider a new portable DAC/AMP which I could use with my phone and computers, what do you recommend?  The Fiio Q1, E17K and E18 look good, but what are some alternatives? 

I've never done a burn-in before and found it interesting that the Audiofly instructions recommended doing it!  So I'll definitely give it a go.

What genres are you listening to SieB?

I'm not sure about separate DAC/AMP combos to be honest, I don't have any experience with them. Up until a few months ago I had always used my phone for listening to music on the go until I got my FiiO X3ii. Which is what I would recommend, you can use it as a DAC and it has a built in amp capable of driving any IEM and even full sized headphones. It even drives my HD650's, obviously not as good as a proper amp, but still good enough. 

Before I got my X3ii I was planning on getting the E18 to use with my phone, but rather than have to hook the E18 up to my phone all the time I decided to just get the X3II which is a DAP, DAC and AMP all in small package.

As for the genres I listen to, I listen to all kinds of music to be honest. I like Pop, rock, metal, dance, ambient, jazz, soul, motown, folk.. anything really. Never really stuck to listening to one genre of music and I try to mix it up as much as possible 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 2:51 PM Post #130 of 137
After a lot of experimentation with tips for the AF140 (isolation, comfort and sound) my choice as stick to the SpinFit! You have to get use to the depth in the ear canal, but for me, the best in isolation and sound!

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #131 of 137
Ok, just received the Earsonics Double flange tips and they are incredible: ISOLATION, FIT, SOUND. So it's in between the Spinfit and the Earsonics tips, though the Earsonics win on clarity of sounds. Recommended.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #132 of 137
I usually don't post sound impressions, but I wanted to show some love for the AF140.  

There are better IEMs out there, like the AF180s which I believe are almost "audiophile" perfect, however the AF140s are my favorite.  As a reference, I enjoy a slight bass tilt and usually covet punchy bass, crystal clear yet smooth mids, and non-sibilant, airy treble.  Think of the Audeze LCD2's sound signature.

The first thing you will notice is the AF140s' bass.  It thumps and is quite addicting when listening to bass dominate music like EDM or pop.  It's a little loose but musical.  The midbass unfortunately bleeds into the midrange so vocals will sound somewhat chesty, like when a singer uses his or her "low" deep voice.  The frequency graph shows this bleed pretty clearly.  Some will hate this bleed, but it does not dirty up the midrange, which is still clear, articulate, and very musical.  Finally, the treble is perfect for me - informative and smooth without any sibilance.  It's there, but it does not yell out that it's there.  

I love how old 80s pop/rock and EDM sound on the AF140s (for jazz I use the AF180s).  Even when plugged into an iphone, the music sounds engaging and just flows!

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #133 of 137
I'm currently looking for upgrades from my Shure SE215. I enjoy the fun (warm with rich vocals) sound signature of the SE215s, would the Audiofly AF140s be the closest to a much more refined version of the SE215 sound signature in the £200-300 range? Thank you.

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #134 of 137
I feel it is going to be a very significant increase in SQ going from Shure 215 to Audiofly AF140.

IMHO, AF140 is one of the most exciting-sounding hybrids around.
Shure 215 are much more sedate in comparison. They do everything passably well.
AF140 brings things to life.

Jun 21, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #135 of 137
In overall, I'm quite happy with AF140 sound sig, warmth dark but musical, with a nice amount of bass which never bloated. Listen to well recorded live albums it's as if you are there with the audience, very natural and not coloured at all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back