Audiofly AF140 Triple Hybrid - AUSTRALIAN Tour Thread and Impressions
Mar 5, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #106 of 137
  with Spinfit eartips, the AF140 really shine!

I can't find any of those available to buy in the UK :frowning2:
Do you know where I can get them? They look pretty decent and I wouldn't mind giving them a try.

Edit: found the thread about them on here and you can order them through FB

https://www.facebook.com/SpinfitEartips/app_251458316228

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #107 of 137
Ok, now i'm listening a lot of my AF140 with shure foam olives and i'm digging the sound presentation and the comfort. Medium are perfect for me. Spinfit are good, but olives wins for me in comfort. Good bass and gives it a bit of highs too.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #108 of 137
That is what I have been using as well,  they give better treble with a more detailed sound while still having good bass. 
At the moment though I am using Comply T-100 large,  which seem to be slightly better sounding than the Shure Olives with a bit more isolation. 

May 15, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #109 of 137
I have had issues with Audiofly AF140's.

Had to return two pairs as the silver grille fell out.both within a week - the 2nd pair I had the grille fell out the first time I used them

Luckily Audiofly have amazing customer service and I have had a pair of AF160's in return as a free upgrade.

Audiofly has told me that they had issues with the grille falling out - on my pair it came from the left side both times. Another thing I found out is that the 160's had driver issues with the sound failing.

It is a concern as Audiofly are the new boys in town and it seems the build quality is left to be desired, Im hoping I have a new batch of the 160's

This is my view on both the 140 and 160's

The AF140 are amazingly musical with great detail and clarity. I do not find them veiled as I burnt them in over 30 hours using white noise. You can hear singers breathe and also guitar squeaks and plucks. They remind me of my Naim hifi setup - musical and detailed.

The AF160's are a different beast to the 140's. They to my ears are not as musical but more analytical. The bass in the 140's is better probably down to the dynamic driver. The detail you can hear is astonishingly good. I used Westones Um2's, Shure E5c, Etymotic ER4S and they sound signature is similar to the Etymotics but with slightly more bass and i do mean slight. They blow the UM2 and E5c away with ease. I think they would take on the new shure thats costs nearly three times the price.

If the build flaws have been rectified then I hands down will recommend the Audiofly premium line.

regards

Rich

May 15, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #110 of 137
Hi, the grill fell off too the first day I got them, but for me it wasn't an issue for the sound they produce. For great tips, just put the Comply TS-100. It keeps the good bass quality and it isolates quite well. The best!

May 15, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #111 of 137
Got my AF140 paired up with a FiiO X3 2nd gen now and they sound much better than they did when I was using them with my Note 3 :)
The X3 makes them even more detailed with much better treble, smoother mids and more detailed bass
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #112 of 137
Thanks for the feedback for the pairing. Still enjoying them on my DX-50, but still I don't know if I can reach another level of soundstage and details with a better player or buying a good amp. I know that the thing to do is pairing un warm earphone with a neutral or bright source to get a good balance.

I've got a ClipZip+ but with the AF140, the soundstage is quite small. But with good clean, clarity and separation.

May 18, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #113 of 137
Well after 2 days my AF160's have broke - the cable has come from the earpiece - I know your thinking replaceable cables - well yes but the cable has come off in the earpiece so cannot get it out.

so thats 3 pairs of Audiofly's within 2 weeks.

Great sound - crap build quality.

So got in touch with hifiheadphones and I am getting some more 160's.

4th time lucky me thinks or else I will go to Earsonics.

May 30, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #114 of 137
I very much like my AF140s. I have about 70 hours on them. First they sounded a tad dark and muddied but that changed in the first 20 hours of use (or my brain adapted). Great musical sound, clear sound, good bass, highs slightly rolled off, and very comfortable. Overall a very fun sounding headphone. I usually use them with my AK 120 (1st generation) and they sound great. Only downside for me is the upper part of the cable which tangles very easily so everytime you use them you have to spend a few moments to "untangle". Apart from that highly recommendable in my opinion!

May 30, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #115 of 137
I very much like my AF140s. I have about 70 hours on them. First they sounded a tad dark and muddied but that changed in the first 20 hours of use (or my brain adapted). Great musical sound, clear sound, good bass, highs slightly rolled off, and very comfortable. Overall a very fun sounding headphone. I usually use them with my AK 120 (1st generation) and they sound great. Only downside for me is the upper part of the cable which tangles very easily so everytime you use them you have to spend a few moments to "untangle". Apart from that highly recommendable in my opinion!

They're a good hybrid! Almost bought them. Their unique signature and tonality sat well with me. Very deep atmospheric presentation. I think many listeners write them off as dark, or veiled. Just keep an eye on the nozzle meshing it tends to fall out a bit.

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #118 of 137
  These look great, do you guys think they'd be a good upgrade/sidegrade from my Brainwavz B2?  As much as I love the detail with the B2's, I miss having more bass for EDM.

AF140 sound completely different to Brainwavs B2. AF140 are much warmer/darker with an almost uncanny atmosphere, this might come across as veiled or music behind a wooden door after coming from the thinner/brighter B2. If however, you enjoy a darker sound AF140 are still really capable, there's also upsides that you can listen longer with less fatigue. if its just more bass you want AF140 certainly provide that, though be prepared for a complete signature change.

I would consider them an upgrade from B2.

Oct 21, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #119 of 137

AF140 sound completely different to Brainwavs B2. AF140 are much warmer/darker with an almost uncanny atmosphere, this might come across as veiled or music behind a wooden door after coming from the thinner/brighter B2. If however, you enjoy a darker sound AF140 are still really capable, there's also upsides that you can listen longer with less fatigue. if its just more bass you want AF140 certainly provide that, though be prepared for a complete signature change.

I would consider them an upgrade from B2.

Thanks, this really helps.  I was actually hoping to retain the detail I get from the B2's mids (vocals are incredible), which is why I was originally considering se535's or the Westone 4's.  I do get a bit fatigued from the B2's though, so I'm keen to try something different.

Edit: By your description of 'darker/veiled/behind a door', what does that mean for the mids.  Are they not as clear, or are they just more recessed?

Do the af140's deliver more bass than the af160, af180, se535 and Westone4's?

Oct 21, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #120 of 137

Thanks, this really helps.  I was actually hoping to retain the detail I get from the B2's mids (vocals are incredible), which is why I was originally considering se535's or the Westone 4's.  I do get a bit fatigued from the B2's though, so I'm keen to try something different.

Edit: By your description of 'darker/veiled/behind a door', what does that mean for the mids.  Are they not as clear, or are they just more recessed?

Do the af140's deliver more bass than the af160, af180, se535 and Westone4's?

By darker I mean the overall tonality and expression of the IEM will be deeper, the note weight thicker, considerably less clear than Brainwavs B2, ie, less obvious clarity. Basically, you can tune an IEM in a few different ways. Bright/analytical, neutral, or dark (and anywhere in between). AF140 is most certainly on the darker side of this spectrum. I cannot remember the position of AF140's mid-range. Usually, if you come from something bright (like B2) many other IEMs will sound veiled or muffled straight afterwards however, the brain is very skillful at adjusting within 5-10 minutes. Unless of course you simply cannot agree with the tonality, then you have the wrong signature for your preference.

The best way to go into any IEM purchase is try and audition the earphone(s) first, this is the safest most effective way. If you cannot demo the IEM try searching for stores which have a return policy in case it all goes pear shape. For example, even myself from my experience here will not spend $500> without an audition first because I won't risk getting bitten.

AF140 most certainly have deeper/harder bass than Westone 4 and SE535, I know that much. AF140 low-end is quite the performer.

Edit: I will add, if you want to keep the same brightish tonality in the mids with more bass look at Dunu DN-1000 hybrid IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back