Audiofly AF1120 UIEM Impressions/review/appreciation thread
Mar 5, 2017 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

WhiskeyJacks

500+ Head-Fier
So, started looking into an upgrade or potentially a new IEM that was different and or better, to my ears, than the Earsonics SM64 which is a 3 BA driver with 3 way cross over UIEM from Earsonics from France. When, I cam across the Audiofly AF180 thread(which was their previous flagship) was a 4 driver using BA drovers. Which seemed to be similar in some ways to the SM64 and more of side grade than a real upgrade... While researching Af180 I came across the new 6 BA driver IEM from Audiofly the Af1120. Now the problem with this IEM as far as I can tell is the lack of review and information regarding sound signature and quality out there via the Web. Managing to only find a couple legit reviews I could a decent gamble and purchased the the AF1120 Flagship from Audiofly with hopes and anticipation that it would be as well regarded as the AF180 was.

I am using some photos I took and I have found on the web to show these until at a time I can take some actual photos of my own pair in better light and circumstance

These are the comply tips in the individual wrappers that come along side the IEMs int eh package, comes with two pairs sealed, one small and one large, and the medium T-100's equipped with the IEM already.

They are identical or close to the AF-180 model with the exception to the shell coloring which is clear/transparent.

Driver type: 6 Balanced Armature Drivers with 3 way crossover
Frequency range: 20-30kHz 
Sensitivity: 110dB at 1 kHz 
Impedance: 10 Ohms
Cable length: 1.5m/59in
Plug type: 3.5mm gold plated, right angle format
MSRP:frowning2:At least in the  US)  $699.99 USD

These can be purchased via Audiofly.com, ebay.com from Onecall, HighDEF Lifestyle, also Amazon.com as far as I know. I will follow through with this initial informative post with some my impressions and insights since receiving these IEMs, and I hope if anyone else has or are going to being listening, purchasing, and or reviewing these IEMs please let me know and I will link your review or impressions underneath this text for others that may be researching these in hopes of them being the right purchase.

Mar 6, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 71
Impressions and early review:

When first receiving the AF1120, I first plugged it into the Audio GD 28 via the single ended jack, which is mostly neutral, slightly smooth, detailed, and mid to high fi balanced DAC/Class A Amp. The Af1120 are easy to drive and on low gain I did not have to put the volume past 6 to get clear and loud enough volume.  Being that the NFB 28 is  a neutral DAC using sabre dac chips I was worried the IEM would come out a little to bright, but was rewarded with extremely nice clarity and clear sound throughout. 

Now I said in comparison to my ZMF Omni walnut and my earsonics sm64 the AF1120 seems bass light, but after listening to more tracks I feel like the low end is articulate and good extension and shows up on tracks that have it available. As someone that has listened to a decent amount of headphones and IEMs which many of them are tuned for the consumer market which tends to have elevated or boost low end frequencies whether it is sub or mid bass or etc. Not to say there isn't great offerings that have tuning as such, but it is not necessarily considered "reference sound", to each his/her own and their own preference and take on what is the desired response. The Af1120 seems to be pretty flat to my ears, very clear, detailed, and perhaps slightly smooth. I definitely feel like there is good resolution, articulate nuances revealed in comparison to the darker more veiled SM64, the sound stage is decent perhaps not as wide but I feel like it has good height, depth, and the imaging and 3D placement of the instruments and details makes me feel like  it  on a different level to my earsonics sm64.

I did try it with my ibasso DX90, and it sounded good, but I do feel like it scales very well, and perhaps that the dx90 doesn't do it justice to an extent. I really would like to try it with more hifi player and see how it performs. I feel like someone wanting a darker or warmer IEM should perhaps go with something from earsonics s-em6 or westone high tier of IEMs.

I do not feel like this is a boring IEM with the source I used, it is detailed, fast, articulate, with great imaging and resolution. I only put a handful to dozen hours onto this IEM, and my ears are definitely still adjusting to what they have known for so long. Once I keep listening and do some more mind burn in I will be able to give a more detailed and extensive review.
-WhiskeyJack

Mar 13, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 71
Ive just bought a pair and listening to them for the first time.

I've had the AF-180's for a while and liked them very much hence the purchase.

I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in Audiofly products in head-fi from my experience they seem to produce more than decent gear

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 71
I have really listened to them around 100 hours now, they makeep a very good pairing with the fiio x5 III that just came out. They are fantastic and after adusting to the higher levels of clarity, transparency, and details they have easily taken over as my main iem where now when I listen to the sm64 it sounds off.. still a good iem especially unDer 500 but I'm glad I went with the 1120s. The low end is definitely there whenow it is meant to be there and the best portable pairing was the fiio x5iii with the meier 2stepdance amp and these iems...I was like holy crappie this sounds fantastic. I read from another buyer that he preferred them over the shure 846 and the westones he had owned but returned. Which is impressive, I think past of reason is two fold they are new model from a smaller company that b is still growing, and they have not put much advertisement out there yet for these. Whathe player or source are you using them with? Mind doing some comparisons with af180 when you get more time with 1120s?

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 71
I too have just purchased the Af1120's and I must say that to me she's spun very good indeed. Super clear and tight sound. Good soundstage and good tone. However my only worry is that I have found it impossible to order a replacement cable for it here in the U.K. Audiofly themselves won't ship to uk.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 71
Sorry it should say sounds very good nad not she spun. Bloody apple autocorrect.

LOL I feel you, samsung s7 edge does the same stuff to me too. I am pretty sure you can order any over the ear MMCX to 3.5mm cable, because the jacks in the ear pieces should be mmcx. westone makes some depending on the model, a lot of Do it yourself cables sold on ebay and amazon, I I truly think this is one of the better/best universal IEM's under 1k that also just get's better with and scales really well with higher end gear. w

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 71
Unfortunately the audiofly iem's whilst being MMCX have a slightly different way of connecting. There are two little bumps on the iem's themselves which stops standard MMCX cables from fitting. I have heard of somebody filing these bumps off with a nail file. But I really don't want to have to resort to that. Other than this it really is a great iem. Happy with my purchase.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #9 of 71
Hi all, if anybody knows where I can get an MMCX cable for this great headphone in the Uk then please let me know. By the way has anyone else used cables from other brands and had any luck?The audiofly Af180 must surely use the same cable? Many thanks.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 71
I tried using a couple of different cables on my pair with no luck.  Resorted to the nail file out of frustration.  Not sure if the sound improvement I heard with the Linum BaX cable was real or just in my head, but it was worth it to me.

Mar 17, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 71
Definitely agree Deftone, it's probably because it's a relatively new company. I am sure once more people hear their in-ears it'll get some love. And Reddens, I may also have to resort to the old nail file if I don't get any joy soon. Thing is I always like to have a backup cable. I am finding it really difficult to get one, and would like to get one with in cable mic and controls. The cable with in cable mic looks a bit more robust than the one that was shipped. Although it seems of good quality the top half of the cable seems a little thin. Sounds great though. I love it's sound.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #13 of 71
  I tried using a couple of different cables on my pair with no luck.  Resorted to the nail file out of frustration.  Not sure if the sound improvement I heard with the Linum BaX cable was real or just in my head, but it was worth it to me.

I understand your sentiments about the linum bax cable. because with my earsonics sm64 I used the two pin cable from them the one a step down from the balanced new version,. very good quality I actually still have wish I could use it with the af-1120, not saying there cable is not of high quality because it is especially compared to what cables a lot of companies try to pass off on you with higher end universals and even ciems, but alas mmcx adapters needed.

I'd say audiofly barely get any love in the headfi crowd just the same as earsonics.

I respect what your saying Deftone you and I have similar sentiments and similar tastes it seems, I actually came from the ES SM64v2 that  I had for a couple years, and chose this IEM over a used s-em6. Mostly because I know the s em6 has a liquid and thick sound with a very full midrange(which I happen to love midrange), but in the end I weas looking for a detailed, clear, and accurate sound without too much straying from neutral and without sounding dull. Bravo Audiofly, touche touche.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 71
Unfortunately the audiofly iem's whilst being MMCX have a slightly different way of connecting. There are two little bumps on the iem's themselves which stops standard MMCX cables from fitting. I have heard of somebody filing these bumps off with a nail file. But I really don't want to have to resort to that. Other than this it really is a great iem. Happy with my purchase.

You are from the UK you said?

My father and my family on his side are all living in Ireland, and many of them south of london as well. Perhaps if you cannot find a cable this is what you could do have a friend in america or else where where they can get a cable shipped to them and then pay the extra to ship it to you UK from their residence? I know it is not the best thing ever but I did it once from my cousin Stephan in Belfast.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #15 of 71
Thanks that's a great gesture, however for the moment whilst I am not having any problems I am going to wait it out until the few companies that do profess to sell them do actually get some stock in. But thanks very much for your generous offer. It was a great idea of yours to start a thread for the Af1120's hopefully more people who own or purchase them will join in the discussions. This is my first pair of ba driver iem's and I am very impressed. I had a pair of shure se425's and was also looking for neutral sound but with clarity. Been looking at audiofly for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back