audioengine s8 sub reviews?
May 28, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 14
It has been a couple of days since I searched...But I cannot find a review of the Audioengine Sub.

I do have a Velodyne VX-10 connected to my A5's.

No lack of bass around here...And they can be had for around 150 dollars.

Operandi linked to a Dayton sub at parts express...200.00 bones.

I have heard great things about the discontinuted Dayton...This I assume is a new version.

May 29, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 14
I'm sure the Audioengine sub is good, but it's probably not the best in it's class or a particularly great deal. The Dayton is probably a better sub not even taking into account price.

Regarding the hookup the A5s have sub outputs so would simply run a set or RCA interconnects (don't waste money on subwoofer cable) from the A5s to the sub (whichever you go with).

May 29, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 14
Once again our boy Operandi is giving you the dope.

The A5's have RCA "full range" outputs...RCA out from the A5's and right into the RCA's on the sub.

And I would agree about the Audioengine Sub...I have no doubt that it rocks...But for 400 bones there are probably options that cost less money.

Trying to catch up with a friend who has one of the "discontinued" Dayton's so I can check it out with my A5's.

He loves it...He also knows the guy who's VX-10 I am listening to as I write...He claims it dust the Velodyne.

B.B. doing his thing on Dueces Wild with Dr. John...There Must Be A Better World...Oh yeah !!!!!

Gotta give props to the Audioengine A5's...The sound sweet even with my crappy Realtek 888 onboard...Have a Audiotrak HD2 on the way and am trying to find the best USB/DAC in the 100 dollar range.

Probably buy a used Fubar II from the For/Sale section.

I dug out a old pair of Logitech X-530's out of the closet today and hooked them up to the Sub/Center...Rear Surround with just the sub/front speakers and the A5's on the L/R front channel.

Not even in the same building as the A5's with the VX-10...That was a very short lived experiment.

The 5's sound good without a sub until you start cranking them up.

Went to a pool party and took the A5's with the VX-10...My friend is quiet the hostess and has some bad to the bone party mixes...Hooked up her Zune and liked to never got outta there with them.

She whipped out the Benjamin's...I hit her with the big tax and she said okay...LOL...Told I would get back with her...She said no dice...Now or never...I told her it would have to be never.

Everybody there just freaked how good the music sounded...Glad her neighbors were there.

Another thing I love about them...They are big to be hauling around...But the next race and lake trip they are going.

Now B.B. and Heavy D are doing the "Keep it Coming" thing...WOW...Sweet...I hope the Dayton dust the VX-10.

May 29, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

am trying to find the best USB/DAC in the 100 dollar range.

I haven't heard this, but I intend to. If specs and components count for anything it is a whole lot of DAC for this range...

SUPER Pro DAC 707 USB

...and they make them in black now, if that helps
smily_headphones1.gif
. Or if you only need 16-bit, but might also need a fully functional digital transport, I have one of these, and it sounds very good - quiet, clean and uncolored:

Trends UD-10.1 USB Audio Converter (Transport)

No RCAs, though; you have to adapt to RCA from the mini headphone jack, which is ok because it is line level, no volume control. $140, which buys you the little Burr-Brown DAC plus a very well-designed transport that converts from USB to both coax, optical and AES/EBU - an awful lot of functionality for the $.

Tim

May 29, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 14
I have looked at the Super Pro and Trends.

I like the direct connectivity of the Fubar II...USB out from the my computer...In to the Fubar II with RCA's out to the A5's.

Looked at the Trends and crossed it off my list because of no RCA outs.

So you are telling me that I can just go out to the A5's via a 1/4" stereo to RCA interconnect without affecting sound quality ???

Hummm...And can I assume that it will provide me with better sound quality versus the Fubar II ???

I have looked at the Super Pro and wonder if the 2 LT1364 opamps are rollable ??? LOL...So many USB/DAC's out there...Trying to get some info before posting a thread that has been asked a thousand times already...Fighting with myself not to...Devil on the left seezzz...DO IT!!! Angel on the right seezzz...Keep on reading.

Dont mean to jack the OP's thread but I would appreciate your input as I am trying to come up with high quality computer as source solutions, that do not have the "sorry about your wallet" price.

May 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

So you are telling me that I can just go out to the A5's via a 1/4" stereo to RCA interconnect without affecting sound quality ???

I can tell you that I'm usiing a decent gold-end cable that comes out of the UD-10 with a right angled mini stereo phono plug and goes into my amp with two RCAs and it sounds great. Seems a bit clearer and brighter than whatever is built into my Mac laptop. I don't know how it would compare to Foobar.

The difference I hear may not be the DAC, but the lack of coloration in the UD-10's output: I don't believe there is any kind of "headphone" amp behind the headphone jack on the UD-10; it is just whatever is built into it to step the output up to line level. That's a good thing in the sense that there is no extra circuitry there to introduce extra noise. Also, the UD-10 is designed and built to be transparent (it is a transport and understands its purpose), so there is probably no warmth added at the output stage of the DAC as there is in so many of them. That's fine with me, my amp and cans are warm enough, I don't need my source colored.

I haven't tried the mini phono to RCA adapter that comes with the UD-10 in conjunction with standard RCA cables, but I don't imagine it would make an audible difference. I already had the cable and it was a cleaner, simpler solution, so I used it.

If you have any use for the other outputs of the UD-10, it's a good buy. Otherwise the SuperPro seems like it might be a better deal.

At some point I may use its transport capability to test different DACs, but frankly, I think it is doing the job quite competently as is. Consider the source, though. I'm of the belief that the point of diminishing returns is pretty low when it comes to components, and I believe that DACs have a simple job to do and should do it without any fuss or added "tone." Simpler is better, from my POV. Expensive generally equals a lot of features and connections I don't need, and very expensive generally means a DAC that is changing the character of the signal (making it "warmer") at the source. Bad joo joo.

There's a lot of different mileage out there, though.

Tim

May 29, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 14
LOL...Being a Texas boy...I do listen to both kinds of music.

Country and Western.

LOL...Just kidding...Dont know why...But all of the sudden I went from my usual Albert, B.B., Freddie, thing in the early A.M. and fired up Alan Jackson.

Didnt seem to do it...So fired up the Dwight.

God I bet my neighbors hate me.

Guess your avatar sent me a message without realizing it.

Dwight sent me into Sun Spot Baby, by Seger and then Mary Lou, by Steve Miller.

LOL...Aint listened to that stuff in a while.

Man this USB/DAC thing is making my head hurt.

Thanks for the input...And the Dwight in a round about way.

May 29, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 14
i looked at the dayton hsu8, but it seems its not in stock for two months
frown.gif
I'm sure the Velodyne VX-10 sounds great, but it would just stick out like a sore thumb (because of the color) in my room and I can't really hide it with the way I've set up my speakers/computer. any other recommendations?

May 30, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking around, the hsu STF-1 is interesting me.

I think that sub and the Dayton I linked to are very similar. The Dayton is also designed by HSU, the specs and size are also very similar. I assume one or both of them uses a Dayton driver but I'm not sure which one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back