Audioengine D1 to TubeMagic D1 Plus, Worth the Sidegrade?
May 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DockEllis

New Head-Fier
I've been using an Audioengine D1 for a few months now.  For the most part, it works well, but I need a little more expandability.  Basically, I want some preamp functionality without throwing down on a discrete preamp, so I was looking at the Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus (with the optional upgrades).  I'll call it a sidegrade since it isn't much of an upgrade.

I guess I'm wondering what kind of differences can I expect?  Will it sound better?  If I use the tube output will the sound change significantly?  Is it even worth buying if I don't use the tube out?

My general concern is that the TubeMagic seems geared for someone who wants to get into tubes.  I don't really want to get into tubes, but the price is right and I want a preamp.  Are there any solid state DAC/HPA/Pre units I should look at?

Current setup: Audioengine D1 > Emotiva mini-x a-100 > Arx A1b
                                        or  > SR60i

May 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

I guess I'm wondering what kind of differences can I expect?  
Will it sound better?  
If I use the tube output will the sound change significantly? 

If you use the tube out it might sound markedly different. As for whether that's better, by what standard? Objectively speaking the tubes will add coloration, so that's not good; subjectively, would you like the result anyway?
Quote:
Are there any solid state DAC/HPA/Pre units I should look at?

AudioGD NFB15, NFB11

Quote:
...I need a little more expandability.  Basically, I want some preamp functionality without throwing down on a discrete preamp...

My general concern is that the TubeMagic seems geared for someone who wants to get into tubes.  I don't really want to get into tubes, but the price is right and I want a preamp.

Current setup: Audioengine D1 > Emotiva mini-x a-100 > Arx A1b
                                        or  > SR60i

What's the preamp for? The Mini-Z A-100 has a preamp section, kinda hard to miss given the only thing on the front panel is a backlit volume knob.

May 20, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

If you use the tube out it might sound markedly different. As for whether that's better, by what standard? Objectively speaking the tubes will add coloration, so that's not good; subjectively, would you like the result anyway?

AudioGD NFB15, NFB11

What's the preamp for? The Mini-Z A-100 has a preamp section, kinda hard to miss given the only thing on the front panel is a backlit volume knob.

I don't really want coloration; I guess what I'm looking for is the most transparency I can afford.  So, I've answered my own question.

I didn't mean to imply that there was no preamp, but it only has one input.  The preamp would be primarily for switching purposes, unless there is a decent stereo component switcher you can recommend.

May 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
I don't really want coloration; I guess what I'm looking for is the most transparency I can afford.  So, I've answered my own question.

The Maverick D1 has solid state outputs, but yes if you don't need the tubes you probably should look at other stuff first.

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply that there was no preamp, but it only has one input.  The preamp would be primarily for switching purposes, unless there is a decent stereo component switcher you can recommend.

What components would you be switching? I'm probably wrong, but by switcher are you assuming you can output to at least two different amplifiers from the DAC?

If that's the case the AudioGD's I listed above are not what you need - they have the same RCA pair output jacks for both fixed level output from the DAC and variable output through the preamp, and there's only a switch in the front panel to choose between these - headphone electronics are designed to be compact and while some may give you connectivity options, they aren't as flexible as traditional speaker gear like integrated amplifiers and preamps from NAD and Rotel which have about half a dozen inputs along with preamp output, power amp direct input, and a tape loop, and it's a matter of connecting all the cables at the same time. For people with headphones that don't work well enough through the built-in headphone driver, the tape loop outputs the same signal from the source unit going into the main inputs to a headphone amp, as opposed to using two outputs from the source (so basically it's one long freeway from the source, with an off-ramp going to the speaker amp, and the end of the freeway is the headphone amp).

May 20, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 9
The big idea here is to switch between my Turntable and my DAC as source components without having to reach behind my amplifier and destroy the jacks with frequent plugging and unplugging.  The headphone amp is more of an afterthought since I'm only rocking the SR60i at present and I'm enamored with these speakers.  What drew me to the Maverick is the fact that it has at least one analog input in addition to the digital outs, and can switch between the analog outs and the digital outs.

May 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
The big idea here is to switch between my Turntable and my DAC as source components without having to reach behind my amplifier and destroy the jacks with frequent plugging and unplugging. 

Yep, those compact AudioGD's won't work well enough for your application.

Quote:
The headphone amp is more of an afterthought since I'm only rocking the SR60i at present and I'm enamored with these speakers.

When I mentioned the headphone amp with the NAD amp, it was more along the lines of an amp for which one paid for the speaker driver nowadays not having the right specs for some headphones. With DAC-headphone amp combo devices however they tend to drive a wide range of headphones well enough, but of course it depends on the circuit and power supply design. This is why AudioGDs are highly recommended by their users, however the connectivity options on the more affordable models are not for your application.

Quote:
What drew me to the Maverick is the fact that it has at least one analog input in addition to the digital outs, and can switch between the analog outs and the digital outs.

Yes, basically it's not the preamp itself you need, but don't you mean ins/inputs? In any case, here's what your system will look like :

Digital source (Computer?) > USB/SPDIF input > l                    l >  Fixed Analog Output > Emotiva mini-x a-100 > Arx A1b
                                                                        l Maverick D1 l
Analog source TT              > Analog input        >  l                    l > Headphone Output    > SR60i

Make sure it can work like that though, shoot them an email. There are some devices where not all inputs are connected to all outputs, so a bit of research won't hurt, even if I'm thinking more of A/V receivers (some of them can't send out audio through the Zone 2 output if you're using the HDMI inputs, or something like that). I got to play around with a Maverick D1 around the time it came out and I didn't get to test if it works this way, as we did more to compare its DAC to a Cambridge Audio 750C.

Given the specific requirements I'd say the "sidegrade" would be worth it, unless of course  the sound is different and you prefer the Audioengine.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Don't buy the TubeMagic. I've got both and the Audioengine sounds better than the stock TubeMagic. More detail, more life, more bass control. The TubeMagic is no hi fidelity piece of equipment. If you want to really upgrade, look to the Arcam RDAC, which doesn't have a headphone amp though, but is much more detailed. If you really want a TubeMagic, I'd be happy to sell you mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back