Audioengine A5
May 21, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #16 of 27

Quote:
I find the A5 to be fairly revealing. With a bad DAC/source they don't sound very good, but paired with high-end equipment, they scale up quite nicely.

I am inclined to agree, and looking forward to the scaling. i purchased a stf-1 sub to pair and am currently running 3.5mm out to the audioengines from a laptop with itunes lossless cd rips. And don't get me wrong it sounds pretty good, but not the detail i was expecting for the money, though they are not very expensive, just ordered a Little Dot Dac-I and am excited to hear the difference in quality. I say go for em, they are a little cumbersome, take up a bit of space on a desktop but not unmanagable, but were a dramatic improvement over some old USB logitech speakers. And i read hundreds of reviews, good and bad, and feel that i made the best decision for the price, as do many others who own this set.

Jun 23, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #17 of 27
Dear All;

I have a pair of the wonderful A5's.

1) How can i elevate the speakers to the ear level?

2) Anyone did any cable upgrades?

Any other tips to make the best out of these speakers are welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Best Wishes.

Jun 23, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #19 of 27
Consider if you can get your hands on them the Aktimate Minis. They are similar to the A5's (though I think they are larger), and equally as well reviewed. I have a pair, and they are absolutely thumping, though still articulate. I use a Super Pro 707 DAC with them.

Considering your question about the iPod, whats nice is that the Aktimates have an inbuilt iPod dock. I don't use it very much, but its certainly a convenient addition and makes them great for parties.

http://www.aktimate.com/Features%20AktiMate%20Mini.htm

Don't mind the dodgy website, have a read of some of the reviews... :D

Nov 6, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #20 of 27
hi...
i have my ipod as source, docked in the apple universal dock.
but still, there were something missing...

what should i do to make the ipod sound good with my A's?

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 27
http://audiohub.com.sg/blog-entries/audioengine-a5-powercord-tweak/
And a whole lost of other tweaks I've done... now when the warranty over, the next ultimately tweak will be opening up the amp and changing out the internal wires and caps.

Quote:
Dear All;

I have a pair of the wonderful A5's.

1) How can i elevate the speakers to the ear level?

2) Anyone did any cable upgrades?

Any other tips to make the best out of these speakers are welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Best Wishes.

Nov 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #23 of 27
i have a plan...

buy myself the wadia transport dock then the MAVERICK AUDIO d1 as my DAC then ipod and audioengines.

what do you think guys?
will this make a good sound?

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 27
I use A5 for 2 years. They are very far from my main Revel M20 monitors, but for background music or any other kind of no-immersion listening they're fairly good.
Just don't place 'em next to the wall, bass is boomy

Nov 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #27 of 27
Mini Itx music server is a tiny computer which measures 17 x 17 cm for the mobo and it runs a full fledge pc.

Then you get a digital interface like a sound card with a clock to minimize jitter..

I stuffed polyester into the back ports, the bass is quite okay when you do that.
Quote:
I use A5 for 2 years. They are very far from my main Revel M20 monitors, but for background music or any other kind of no-immersion listening they're fairly good.
Just don't place 'em next to the wall, bass is boomy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back