Audioengine A5 downgrade to A2?
Jul 29, 2009 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Xtreme3X

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and pretty new to audio stuff i guess..

Anyway here's my story.. About 2 weeks ago i decided to upgrade my Creative G500 to an Audioengine A5, so i when down and gotten myself a pair! But here's where the problem comes in.. Initially the very first few days i was pretty impressed with the SQ is real good! Heck i even tried to hook the A5 to my Xbox 360 and it's sound as good as my G500 (minus the 5.1 part) or even better. But with everything going so smoothly.. I got a little issue with my ear and head area, everytime there is sound coming out from the A5 i felt very "pressured" by it and have discomfort feeling. But it's still all right, maybe i'm just not used to it.

Now the 2nd week after the purchase, my ear just suddenly can't take it anymore. Somehow i can feel my ear have the "tired" feeling. Desperately i when to googled some information, and manage to find this problem/issue called "listening fatigue". Didn't a couple or search, most of them just stated the symptom and no solution to it. So i got not choice but to called the shop owner that sold me the A5 for some advise.

He told me that A5 is too powerful for an desktop speaker and i might not be able to take it. He also said that A5 is more to room listening environment than desktop use and ask me to downgrade to an A2.

I'm pretty much lost and desperately seeking for help, i really want to keep the A5 it's a real good pair of speaker. If i were to sold my A5 to downgrade to an A2, i will pretty much lose some cash which i didn't really want to..

Hope you guys could really advise me what should i really do.. And sorry for the long post!

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you rearrange your room so you can use the A5 as room speakers instead of as desktop speakers?

Hello Uncle Erik
biggrin.gif
Hmm i can't really shift my speaker tho, as my study room are only 2m x 2m...

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are your speakers elevated to the correct listening height?

How far are they apart?

How close are they to you?

Hello roker
biggrin.gif
Hmm my speaker are about:

Apart from each other: 60cm

Distance from me to speaker: 1 Arm length

Tweeter are at my eye/ear level i have 6" clearance from the back of my speaker tho.

Btw should i upload an picture of my setup to see if my position are correct?

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #6 of 23
My first thought was: Maybe you should buy those stands on Audioengine's website for $30?

But now my more rational and wallet-conserving side reasons that the sound signature just may not be to your ears' liking. Now, the flipside to that is that perhaps it is just because they are too close to your ears, so the sound essentially isn't "spread out." From what I read, the A2 is more for desktop environments, while the A5 is for the whole room.

But sheesh, 2m x 2m? That is a darn small room. Hopefully you work everything out in the end!

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first thought was: Maybe you should buy those stands on Audioengine's website for $30?

But now my more rational and wallet-conserving side reasons that the sound signature just may not be to your ears' liking. Now, the flipside to that is that perhaps it is just because they are too close to your ears, so the sound essentially isn't "spread out." From what I read, the A2 is more for desktop environments, while the A5 is for the whole room.

But sheesh, 2m x 2m? That is a darn small room. Hopefully you work everything out in the end!

Hmm i wanted to get Auralex MoPAD tho, but the guy from the shop told me it doesn't really help. Cause i think the issue lies on me..

Intially i get an A5 because i wanted some gaming on it(they said have more bass than A2?). Btw whats the correct spec to position an A5, cause i've seen a lot of A5 user using it for their desktop? I wonder how they take the pressure the A5 is giving..

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 23
Is there any chance of relocating this setup out of your six foot square room? I have to admit I found your situation somewhat absurd and perplexing until I read how small a space you have to work with. The A2's may very well serve that space better but I certainly wouldn't want to part with the A5's.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love mine, had them for a year and listen to the everyday. I am 3ft from them with 3ft apart.

Hmm 3ft distance i guess you should be using it as desktop speaker too? Can i ask you how far apart the speaker are from each other? Btw when you just started using A5 do you find any discomfort due to not adapting to it, but slowly getting used to it?

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 23
A co-worker of mine had the same problem with the A5s; he didn't even place them on a desktop and they were still too powerful for his big condo. I have the A2s on my desk and they are still overwhelming. Great speakers that pack a powerful punch.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any chance of relocating this setup out of your six foot square room? I have to admit I found your situation somewhat absurd and perplexing until I read how small a space you have to work with. The A2's may very well serve that space better but I certainly wouldn't want to part with the A5's.

Hmm i can't really shift my computer out, as other rooms are occupied. Btw B your the one that got me hooked to A5 :p I accidently read the review that you posted in other forums
biggrin.gif
When to visit your website too, your setup and website are awesome!!

Anyway hmm will a small room affect the the A5 as in make it too boomy even at a softer volume? But i don't really blast my A5 or something? Sitting infront of the A5 seems fine for me, even the bass are fine except the "pressure feeling".

Actually i got 1 more issue that i dare not posting it out.. as it might be weird i think.. But i guess i should try it.. Anyway i been watching tv shows on my PC with A5 most of the time. I somehow feel the voice acting of this particular show feels blur to me. Using my x-fi xtremegamer i tuned down the Treble to 0% will make the voice actor sound more smoother for me.. Is this normal?

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme3X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm 3ft distance i guess you should be using it as desktop speaker too? Can i ask you how far apart the speaker are from each other? Btw when you just started using A5 do you find any discomfort due to not adapting to it, but slowly getting used to it?

They are 3ft apart. I use them as CPU speakers and have my CD5001 hooked to them also. I have loved them since the day I got them. I'm thinking of adding the sub.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 23
Did you try to lower the volume?. At the same volume, two speakers of the same maker will sound similar. Maybe you are pushing them (and yourself) too hard; Using the a2 at high volume wont solve that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back