Audioengine A2+ vs Yamaha HS5 | Audioengine A5+ vs Yamaha HS8 (Need Humble Opinion)
Mar 4, 2016 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Brickstone

New Head-Fier
Hi good day everyone, I am new here so hopefully you can help me with my queries as I am thorn in 4 option. I recently switch from a full range game grade audio setup to a entry level audiophile setup, the move was great and did not have any doubts even though I spend a little more cash for sound accuracy over colorful gaming grade speakers and headphones.

My next move is to buy myself a new pair of Audiophile Grade, entry level speaker monitors and I am thorn in 4 choices. My budget is around $150 - $450 and looking for a "Pair" not a single monitor that could go well in desktop PC. I am not a fan of OP Bass I like everything in neutral.

I would like to request from you guys and give me a humble recommendation on what speaker /  monitor should I choose:

Small Form Factor:
Audioengine A2+ vs Yamaha HS5

Mid Form Factor
Audioengine A5+ vs Yamaha HS8

I would like to clarify also if the Audioengine is considered Audiophile Grade Speaker / Monitors?

I already have ATH-M50X (Headphone) and pair it with Chord Mojo when I am on the go and with my desktop. I also have AT2020 USB + Condenser Microphone use for recording, streaming and default online communication device.

Best Regards,

Paulo Angelo Remoroza

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 29
Audioengine is neither a monitor nor audiophile grade. It is consumer grade.

Audiophile grade monitors in your budget:

Yamaha
Adam Audio
JBL
Emotiva

Other HiFi (monitors) speakers I recommend:

Aktimate
Swan (except for H or X series)
Ruark Audio

My preference would probably be (assuming studio monitors strictly):

Adam Audio
Yamaha
JBL

NOTE:

I have only heard the Aktimates, Swans and Audioengines from the above. The others are strictly based on research and reviews.

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 29
Audioengine is neither a monitor nor audiophile grade. It is consumer grade.

Audiophile grade monitors in your budget:

Yamaha
Adam Audio
JBL
Emotiva

Other HiFi (monitors) speakers I recommend:

Aktimate
Swan (except for H or X series)
Ruark Audio

My preference would probably be (assuming studio monitors strictly):

Adam Audio
Yamaha
JBL

NOTE:

I have only heard the Aktimates, Swans and Audioengines from the above. The others are strictly based on research and reviews.

That is baffling you 'recommend'speakers based on things you read on the internet..even more you have no idea about the sound signature OP is looking for

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 29
That is why I stated it. If I were to buy, it would be without listening as well. You can't listen to such stuff in India.

In fact every single of my speaker purchases has been blind. I was only able to listen to them after I bought them.

And every single headphone purchase has been blind as well, excluding HDR 180 and HD 598.

And every single DAC and headphone amp purchase has been blind as well.

And in most cases there isn't a return policy. And people can't resell such stuff in India without a massive price penalty.

So I've always relied on reviews and research. And I have gone wrong exactly twice. Once with Swan H5. And the other time was with the Soundmagic E80s. Other sales have been smooth.

This is how it is in India. And hence I stated the same as well. :)

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 29
That is why its a big fail,the OP could have googled these but instead seeking advice from people who have actually heard it. He has also asked about 2 speaker,not all this sh** No wonder you've been banned so many times. Also it isn't like that in India. First I've auditioned a lot im Mumbai,and i have stayed in Mahim for years. Secondly you have some awesome local speaker manufacturers. Apparently you know none.

Back to the thread, Audioengine makes fun to listen to speakers. Nothing neutral,bt more like party speakers. The yamaha hs5 was 'harsh' to my ears and i didn't hear the bigger ones. Have an audition on other speakers/monitors..and trust your ears. If your budget permits,look for an affordable sub too.

Mar 4, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 29
That is why its a big fail,the OP could have googled these but instead seeking advice from people who have actually heard it. He has also asked about 2 speaker,not all this sh** No wonder you've been banned so many times. Also it isn't like that in India. First I've auditioned a lot im Mumbai,and i have stayed in Mahim for years. Secondly you have some awesome local speaker manufacturers. Apparently you know none.

Back to the thread, Audioengine makes fun to listen to speakers. Nothing neutral,bt more like party speakers. The yamaha hs5 was 'harsh' to my ears and i didn't hear the bigger ones. Have an audition on other speakers/monitors..and trust your ears. If your budget permits,look for an affordable sub too.

You are correct but please don't be harsh to the other guy. When you say fun to listen, the audio is not neutral thus it is similar to Bose Companion 5 Speaker? And as the other guy said it is not a monitor speaker nor a audiophile one, is this accurate?

I also heard bad reviews on Yamaha HS5 so my option will be as follow;

Audioengine A2+ + Audioengine S8 Sub (But I Will Try 1st Without Sub)
Audioengine A5+
Yamaha S8 (Pair If Budget Permits)

Share further insight guys, much appreciated. Thank you.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 29
  You are correct but please don't be harsh to the other guy. When you say fun to listen, the audio is not neutral thus it is similar to Bose Companion 5 Speaker? And as the other guy said it is not a monitor speaker nor a audiophile one, is this accurate?
I also heard bad reviews on Yamaha HS5 so my option will be as follow;
Audioengine A2+ + Audioengine S8 Sub (But I Will Try 1st Without Sub)
Audioengine A5+
Yamaha S8 (Pair If Budget Permits)
Share further insight guys, much appreciated. Thank you.

I think with Audioengine studio monitors, your playing extra for features that make it easier for the novice to hook up.
For people that may not know a lot about hooking up studio monitors and speakers, people that need stuff that is Plug and Play.
Plug in the USB cable and it just works.

Also at best a pair of Audioengine A5+ units uses 2 amplifiers, one amplifier to drive each unit (single studio monitor).

Where as the Yamaha's are bi-amped, each studio monitor comes with 2 amplifiers, inside each unit.

Anyway check out the Monoprice 5" studio monitors ($170 for a pair) and sub-woofer ($175).
So for $345 (and $20 for cables), plus tax and shipping, you get a 2.1 setup.
http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401
Each Monoprice studio monitor comes with two built in amplifiers (2 amps in each unit).
The Monoprice studio monitors are based on the M-Audio BX5/BX8.

I'm not sure the Monoprice's are as good as the Yamaha's (maybe very close?), but I'm sure the Monoprice's are at least a little better then Audioengine.
And with the Monoprice sub-woofer taking over the low end work, the Monoprice's studio monitor's 5" woofer can do it's job better :)

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #9 of 29
I upgraded from Audioengine A5 to Aktimate Micro.

I have also owned Swan speakers.

I would take Aktimate over Swan over Audioengine in a heart beat. (Swan H5 and other studio monitors excluded).

I have also listened to Bose Companion 5 in a shop. It is clearer and more articulate than Audioengine A5. But AE5 has more weight and depth to the sound, and sounds much bigger and warmer, and more natural.

Between AE5 and Bose Companion 5, it comes down to preference. Neither is objectively better. Depends on your situation.

Aktimates and Swan are both in a league higher than both Bose and AE.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 29
  I upgraded from Audioengine A5 to Aktimate Micro.

I have also owned Swan speakers.

I would take Aktimate over Swan over Audioengine in a heart beat. (Swan H5 and other studio monitors excluded).

I have also listened to Bose Companion 5 in a shop. It is clearer and more articulate than Audioengine A5. But AE5 has more weight and depth to the sound, and sounds much bigger and warmer, and more natural.

Between AE5 and Bose Companion 5, it comes down to preference. Neither is objectively better. Depends on your situation.

Aktimates and Swan are both in a league higher than both Bose and AE.

If I am going to buy a ​non-audiophile grade speaker then the choices are Bose Companion 5 and AE5+?

Is Aktimate Mini+ B consider a studio grade / audiophile monitor speaker? I mean I assume that Mini+ B was the one you are referring on your reply.

As much as possible I want to invest in an Audiophile grade monitor speaker even it is an entry level, I just want a balance and natural audio just like my ATH-M50X. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 29
None of these are studio monitors.

Studio monitors are not meant for home use, more for studio use. They are just a cheap way of getting high end audio at home.

Aktimates are audiophile grade speakers.

Micro isn't exactly audiophile grade but much better than AE and Bose.

Mini+ is truly audiophile grade and actually better than most passive setups under $1000 or so. At least the ones I heard.

If you can go for the Mini+, I'd be gladly willing to pay 3-4x the price of the Micro for the Mini+, given an option. It is in a different class.

Aktimate speakers are more or less neutral for home speakers at that price.

The Mini+ has forward mids but sounds excellent nevertheless. The Micro is more neutral but not exactly in the same class.

I have listened to all these setups.

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #12 of 29
None of these are studio monitors.

Studio monitors are not meant for home use, more for studio use. They are just a cheap way of getting high end audio at home.

Aktimates are audiophile grade speakers.

Micro isn't exactly audiophile grade but much better than AE and Bose.

Mini+ is truly audiophile grade and actually better than most passive setups under $1000 or so. At least the ones I heard.

If you can go for the Mini+, I'd be gladly willing to pay 3-4x the price of the Micro for the Mini+, given an option. It is in a different class.

Aktimate speakers are more or less neutral for home speakers at that price.

The Mini+ has forward mids but sounds excellent nevertheless. The Micro is more neutral but not exactly in the same class.

I have listened to all these setups.

How much will it cost me to buy a pair of Mini+, If the price range will reach $500 - $1000 I might go to Yahama HS8.

I forgot to tell earlier on my post that I also have Audioengine D1 DAC/Amp, Price and sound quality point will it benefit me if I just purchase A2+ and plug it in to my D1. Rather investing in an more expensive speaker? I mean if I combine the two A2+ and D1, would there be a big difference in sound quality and staging vs. entry level audiophile grade monitor or speaker (Mini+ or Yamaha HS5)?

By the way my room size is only 18sqm

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 29
  How much will it cost me to buy a pair of Mini+, If the price range will reach $500 - $1000 I might go to Yahama HS8.
I forgot to tell earlier on my post that I also have Audioengine D1 DAC/Amp, Price and sound quality point will it benefit me if I just purchase A2+ and plug it in to my D1. Rather investing in an more expensive speaker? I mean if I combine the two A2+ and D1, would there be a big difference in sound quality and staging vs. entry level audiophile grade monitor or speaker (Mini+ or Yamaha HS5)?
By the way my room size is only 18sqm

The A2+ is consider to not have as good a quality bass, it's woofer is too small.
Should try to get something with a woofer that is 5" or larger.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 29

The A2+ is consider to not have as good a quality bass, it's woofer is too small.
Should try to get something with a woofer that is 5" or larger.

​If that is the case I should go to A5+ + S8 Sub from Audioengine. It seems that I cannot find any local store that could supply me your suggestion "techboy", if I will purchase online the shipping cost will not be practical as I live in the PH. I also found out to our local Yahama store that they don't have HS8 and it's woofer, the only available monitors they have are the HS7.

I think It is Audioengine A5+ is the way to go, since I can use it for movies, gaming and listening to Hi-Res audio (FLAC). It is close being a neutral speaker or maybe almost being audiophile grade monitor / speaker.

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #15 of 29
I have listened to Mini+ not Yamaha HS monitors.

If my budget was under USD 1000, I'd go with the Mini+ any time. Blindly.

Mini+ costs around AUD/USD 800-900 or so. And it is well worth even more.

I would rather stick to home speakers for home use. Don't want to risk a harsh studio monitor when I can't even audition or return. :)

And AE isn't audiophile grade. It isn't even close to the

AE will lose out to $100-150 passive speakers with a $100-150 speaker amp. Badly.

Aktimates would likely thrash them. Mini+ that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back