Audioengine A2+ vs Yamaha HS5 | Audioengine A5+ vs Yamaha HS8 (Need Humble Opinion)
Mar 6, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 29
I have listened to Mini+ not Yamaha HS monitors.

If my budget was under USD 1000, I'd go with the Mini+ any time. Blindly.

Mini+ costs around AUD/USD 800-900 or so. And it is well worth even more.

I would rather stick to home speakers for home use. Don't want to risk a harsh studio monitor when I can't even audition or return.
smily_headphones1.gif

And AE isn't audiophile grade. It isn't even close to the

AE will lose out to $100-150 passive speakers with a $100-150 speaker amp. Badly.

Aktimates would likely thrash them. Mini+ that is.

Hopefully someone won't listen to you blindly. Also what is 'audiophile grade' to you??

Anyways, I don't think you can go wrong with AudioEngine speakers. Don't focus on what is 'audiophile' or not. Also you don't get better speakers, the more you spend.
Just try to get a listen before you buy..and why not the yamahas too. I found the smaller yamahas monitors to be bright, maybe the 7 or 8 speakers will suit you. Keep in mind your listening setup: nearfield,etc.

I also think its a good idea if you're buying locally as you stated shipping cost is high and you can get assistance whenever you have a problem.

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #17 of 29
  Hopefully someone won't listen to you blindly. Also what is 'audiophile grade' to you??

Anyways, I don't think you can go wrong with AudioEngine speakers. Don't focus on what is 'audiophile' or not. Also you don't get better speakers, the more you spend.
Just try to get a listen before you buy..and why not the yamahas too. I found the smaller yamahas monitors to be bright, maybe the 7 or 8 speakers will suit you. Keep in mind your listening setup: nearfield,etc.

I also think its a good idea if you're buying locally as you stated shipping cost is high and you can get assistance whenever you have a problem.

​
I do accept any suggestion and being try neutral to it. :)

I try to listen sound test via youtube and found significant difference between Yamaha HS7 vs Audioengine A5+ vs Bose Companion 5. For price point clearly Bose Companion 5 is the best deal as it is price around ($520) as brand new here in PH. Considering that it already has Sub included, but as the other say and verified personally the sound coming from Bose Companion 5 are not close to neutral as they add colour or flavor to its sound signature (It gives impression of being listening to live).

Where as Audioengine A5+ feels more natural and neutral in terms of variety, specially I will not just use them for monitoring stream, casting, hosting, video editing & audio recording. As I mention earlier I might use it occasionally as a party speaker, field listening with friends and gaming. Though I will have to spend couple more dollars in order for me to purchase the dedicated sub for A5+ which is the S8. Though I heard that A5+ without sub will be sufficient enough to provide descend lows / bass without its subs. A5+ cost ($395) locally.

As for Yamaha, I really found them really dry. I mean that is a good thing cause they live up to my expectation for being neutral and true to the source. Cause you can really hear imperfections on your audio recording, as to giving you challenges to mix or refine your audio professionally. One (1) HS7 speaker "Not Pair" cost around ($364)

My remaining question for you guys is;
(1) Will the A5+ benefit to my existing DAC/AMP Audioengine D1 in terms of quality and power. As I also check that A5+ already had its build in AMP?
(2) Is putting AMP on top on another AMP recommended?

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 29
I have listened to Mini+ not Yamaha HS monitors.

If my budget was under USD 1000, I'd go with the Mini+ any time. Blindly.

Mini+ costs around AUD/USD 800-900 or so. And it is well worth even more.

I would rather stick to home speakers for home use. Don't want to risk a harsh studio monitor when I can't even audition or return.
smily_headphones1.gif

And AE isn't audiophile grade. It isn't even close to the

AE will lose out to $100-150 passive speakers with a $100-150 speaker amp. Badly.

Aktimates would likely thrash them. Mini+ that is.

The problem is I can't find any local partner or distributor for Aktimates here in PH, to verify and check its sound signature. And If I decide to go with it I will have to resort in purchasing abroad. I have to consider also the shipping cost and handling of the devise. :)

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 29

I have explained above why I said it. I have owned these speakers.

Can you buy Swan in PH?

Swan isn't neutral but far more HiFi than AE. Swan is in a league above Audioengines.

Also, even if you're in PH, Aktimate Micro on eBay.com costs about USD 190 or so, plus international shipping plus customs.

So they should still be within your budget. They are far more neutral than AE5, though not as thick/big sounding, but clearer and more articulate, and with a much better soundstage and better imaging.

Again, owned these as well.

What I have owned:

AE5
Aktimate Micro
Aktimate Mini+
Several Swah speakers

Mar 6, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #20 of 29
I have explained above why I said it. I have owned these speakers.

Can you buy Swan in PH?

Swan isn't neutral but far more HiFi than AE. Swan is in a league above Audioengines.

Also, even if you're in PH, Aktimate Micro on eBay.com costs about USD 190 or so, plus international shipping plus customs.

So they should still be within your budget. They are far more neutral than AE5, though not as thick/big sounding, but clearer and more articulate, and with a much better soundstage and better imaging.

Again, owned these as well.

What I have owned:

AE5
Aktimate Micro
Aktimate Mini+
Several Swah speakers

​Could you provide me exact model of Swan speaker you are referring so I can look it up. Thanks. :)

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #21 of 29
Swan M series like M10 M50W etc

Swan MK series
Like MKII etc

I would recommend the latter.

MK200MKII or MKIII should be in your budget. Don't go for H5 nor X5 nor T200B though.

Mar 6, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #23 of 29
Not heard that one in particular. But should be good. The higher you go in their ladder, the bigger/better the sound. The series is the same. Same house sound.

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #24 of 29
 ​
I do accept any suggestion and being try neutral to it. :)

I try to listen sound test via youtube and found significant difference between Yamaha HS7 vs Audioengine A5+ vs Bose Companion 5. For price point clearly Bose Companion 5 is the best deal as it is price around ($520) as brand new here in PH. Considering that it already has Sub included, but as the other say and verified personally the sound coming from Bose Companion 5 are not close to neutral as they add colour or flavor to its sound signature (It gives impression of being listening to live).

Where as Audioengine A5+ feels more natural and neutral in terms of variety, specially I will not just use them for monitoring stream, casting, hosting, video editing & audio recording. As I mention earlier I might use it occasionally as a party speaker, field listening with friends and gaming. Though I will have to spend couple more dollars in order for me to purchase the dedicated sub for A5+ which is the S8. Though I heard that A5+ without sub will be sufficient enough to provide descend lows / bass without its subs. A5+ cost ($395) locally.

As for Yamaha, I really found them really dry. I mean that is a good thing cause they live up to my expectation for being neutral and true to the source. Cause you can really hear imperfections on your audio recording, as to giving you challenges to mix or refine your audio professionally. One (1) HS7 speaker "Not Pair" cost around ($364)

My remaining question for you guys is;
(1) Will the A5+ benefit to my existing DAC/AMP Audioengine D1 in terms of quality and power. As I also check that A5+ already had its build in AMP?
(2) Is putting AMP on top on another AMP recommended?

To answer your first question about using your Audioengine D1 with the A5+: yes, in most cases using a DAC like the D1 will improve the sound quality. As to your second question about amps: in your case the D1 is a headphone amp, not a speaker amp, so it should not be a proble. Just use the RCA out on the back of the D1 to connect to the A5+. Now if you had a speaker amp or receiver then you would probably not want to use that with the A5+.

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #25 of 29
To answer your first question about using your Audioengine D1 with the A5+: yes, in most cases using a DAC like the D1 will improve the sound quality. As to your second question about amps: in your case the D1 is a headphone amp, not a speaker amp, so it should not be a proble. Just use the RCA out on the back of the D1 to connect to the A5+. Now if you had a speaker amp or receiver then you would probably not want to use that with the A5+.

Oh at least now I know. It thought D1 will also amp AE5+. Originally I purchase D1 for my ATH-M50X, but since I found and use my new baby (Chrod Mojo)​ to as an overall DAC / Amp for desktop and on go I thought I can dispose the D1 now. If ever I will purchase AE5+ the D1 can now have a new purpose.

cnhardwick are you familiar with swan speakers particularly techboys recommendation. I want to verify if the SWAN > Audioengine in terms of sound quality.

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #26 of 29
  Oh at least now I know. It thought D1 will also amp AE5+. Originally I purchase D1 for my ATH-M50X, but since I found and use my new baby (Chrod Mojo)​ to as an overall DAC / Amp for desktop and on go I thought I can dispose the D1 now. If ever I will purchase AE5+ the D1 can now have a new purpose.

cnhardwick are you familiar with swan speakers particularly techboys recommendation. I want to verify if the SWAN > Audioengine in terms of sound quality.

Sadly, I am not. I have heard good things about them, but never had the chance to hear them myself. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #27 of 29
bought the audioengine a5+ for a song...my first desktop monitors.
but am going to go and have a listen to the yammies hs5.
also on hunt for emotiva s4

i do have a small sub coming in t add more meat to the mid/bottom end
(pioneer 8sw mk2).
like many on here just want some nice sounding monitors for music at moderate volumes.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #28 of 29
In the same boat as OP. Be using my dx200 for source/dac.

Are the Aktimate Mini+ musical? Looking for easy going back ground listening in my office.

Edit: need near wall placement to they're out already.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #29 of 29
Share further insight guys, much appreciated.

Audioengine A2 has tiny midwoofers that they use the port tuning to squeeze out too much bass (loudness and wider response) from and as a result the bass is distorted. Flabby and imprecise, then when cranked up they hit X-Max and go "thwack! thwack!" with the bass. It's a good option for someone with limited space, but not the only option, much less the best one. I have the Sonic Gear Quattro II flanking my laptop on my work desk at home and these use two passive radiators along with a fullrange driver, and apart from a slightly bright mid-treble range, it doesn't really have any issues. Sure, the bass on first listen seems really weak next to the A2, but 1) at least what is there is not heavily distorted and 2) these speakers are 5% of the price of the A2. Not 5% less, they're only 5% of the price - they sell for $10 (but add local VAT where you are).

I'm not going to guess the A2+ would be any better and if I have to buy any other speaker blind (deaf) I'd just get the Edifier E10BT for half the price if compact form factor was the first requirement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back