Audioengine A2 Review
Jan 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #61 of 114
Quote:
Still thinking about trying some AV40 monitors when the Teufel B200's are sold.

If you do, please do a comparison with your A2's
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #62 of 114
Placing the speakers away from the wall is not really an option since I have a small desk.

What goodolcheez says, the bass is good (however exaggerated) and the mid's are okay. But I really miss the drama in music like the voice of louis armstrong and details from guitar music. Especially small sounds/details that makes certain music wonderful. Everything sounds smoothed out, flat and dull. The same with Jimi Hendrix and John Mayer.

I think i'm more a monitor kind of listener, but not too clean.. Still thinking about trying some AV40 monitors when the Teufel B200's are sold.

I do not think placing them away from the wall should be a big deal with the A2 sense they are front ported.

What you describe about the A2 sounding smoothed out is exactly how I feel. They are good, but some songs just sound dull. I would not have thought myself a monitor person, that is why I decided on the A2, but not I am starting to think maybe I am wrong.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #63 of 114
Quote:

If you do, please do a comparison with your A2's
tongue.gif

Of course, be keep in mind that I'm not a professional reviewer. It would just be a short argumentation :)
Quote:
I do not think placing them away from the wall should be a big deal with the A2 sense they are front ported.

What you describe about the A2 sounding smoothed out is exactly how I feel. They are good, but some songs just sound dull. I would not have thought myself a monitor person, that is why I decided on the A2, but not I am starting to think maybe I am wrong.

Exactly my thoughts. I thought it would not be wise to order some clinical speakers because I wanted to get a chill from all the wonderful music that is available in the world. I did not expect speakers that would kill the drama in some tracks. 
Anyway, we already mentioned that. I do want to try a dac with the a2's, but I have to get some finances straight. Otherwise I'm getting spanked by the mrs. :wink:

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #64 of 114
Quote:

Of course, be keep in mind that I'm not a professional reviewer. It would just be a short argumentation :)

Exactly my thoughts. I thought it would not be wise to order some clinical speakers because I wanted to get a chill from all the wonderful music that is available in the world. I did not expect speakers that would kill the drama in some tracks. 
Anyway, we already mentioned that. I do want to try a dac with the a2's, but I have to get some finances straight. Otherwise I'm getting spanked by the mrs. :wink:

A DAC is the next think on my purchase list as well. I am just using my Sansa Clip right now as a source for my A2s. I would like to thinka decent DAC would add a little more detail, but I am starting to think that is wishful thinking. Just curious, how long have you had your A2s? I have only had mine for a few weeks. I'm wondering if maybe I need to let them burn in for awhile.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #65 of 114
Same here, hoping for more detail, but afraid that is just not their nature... 
I've only got them less then a week, but they're second hand. Already tested them with all sorts of inputs (iPhone, macbook, PC) and equaliser settings. I did notice some improvement with them connected on my PC with a simple Creative soundcard over my macbook. A little sharper and more detailed. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #66 of 114
In my nine months with my A2s, I've discovered that they need acoustic isolation and a very good signal to sound good, and then they sound very good.  Get the tweeters level with your ears if you haven't already, or at least angle them up directly at your ears.  If your A2s sit directly on your desk, they will sound BAD.  Several inches of stone or wood blocks or heavy books make good stands when used alone or with the A2 stands for keeping the bass off and out of your desk.  Also, get the speakers at least three feet apart and nearly that far away from you.  If you're too close, the bass is overwhelming, but a few inches more distance makes a big difference. In short, set them up like a pair of professional studio monitors.  That's step 1.  

Step 2 is to feed them a very good signal, which can be a frustration when you spend $200 on the A2s and expect to be done.  You really need a decent DAC.  I am in love with my $325 Grant Fidelity Tube DAC 11 that I upgraded with an awesome $15 Electro Harmonix tube.  The A2s love tubes.  The Audioengine D1 DAC was okay, but not nearly as good as as the GF.  Fortunately, there are dozens of great choices in the $300-$500 range. 

I now have all the drama in my music I could ever want, but I had to work hard.  It was totally worth it.  Good luck!

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #67 of 114
If you find the songs sound dull, flat, adjust your equalizer.  The A2's have pretty flat frequency response and will sound a little dull.  All it needs is increase the 8 khz and 16 khz by a notch or two.   Lower the mid range by only one notch.  Perfect for most songs. 

A descent DAC will help.

Solid silver audio cable made a big difference for me.  It further increased the contrast / depth of the sound with increased detail. Definitely the opposite of mud.  It sounds crispy, crystal-like, like you are in a room with wall covered with ice or marvel stone in the treble region.

cheez

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #68 of 114
Quote:
In my nine months with my A2s, I've discovered that they need acoustic isolation and a very good signal to sound good, and then they sound very good.  Get the tweeters level with your ears if you haven't already, or at least angle them up directly at your ears.  If your A2s sit directly on your desk, they will sound BAD.  Several inches of stone or wood blocks or heavy books make good stands when used alone or with the A2 stands for keeping the bass off and out of your desk.  Also, get the speakers at least three feet apart and nearly that far away from you.  If you're too close, the bass is overwhelming, but a few inches more distance makes a big difference. In short, set them up like a pair of professional studio monitors.  That's step 1.  

Step 2 is to feed them a very good signal, which can be a frustration when you spend $200 on the A2s and expect to be done.  You really need a decent DAC.  I am in love with my $325 Grant Fidelity Tube DAC 11 that I upgraded with an awesome $15 Electro Harmonix tube.  The A2s love tubes.  The Audioengine D1 DAC was okay, but not nearly as good as as the GF.  Fortunately, there are dozens of great choices in the $300-$500 range. 

I now have all the drama in my music I could ever want, but I had to work hard.  It was totally worth it.  Good luck!

You may be right about needing to get the speakers off my desk. I had assumed the stands would be enough, but I am starting to think maybe a little more is needed to keep the desk distorting the bass. They do sound a little more balanced when I stick a thick book under them. Kind of ruins the clean look of the A2, but it's something I will experiment with.
Quote:
If you find the songs sound dull, flat, adjust your equalizer.  The A2's have pretty flat frequency response and will sound a little dull.  All it needs is increase the 8 khz and 16 khz by a notch or two.   Lower the mid range by only one notch.  Perfect for most songs. 

A descent DAC will help.

Solid silver audio cable made a big difference for me.  It further increased the contrast / depth of the sound with increased detail. Definitely the opposite of mud.  It sounds crispy, crystal-like, like you are in a room with wall covered with ice or marvel stone in the treble region.

cheez

I remembered I have the BBE app on my phone and decided to see how it would life to the sound. It defiantly does. I never much cared for the way it made my headphones sound, and I am still not sure I like the way it  distorts the sound on the speakers, but it certainly took the dull the part out of the sound. Not to mention make it more bass heavy.

I really do not doubt these speakers are good, I am just not sure yet if they match my taste. Clearly I need to experiment with them more though before deciding.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #69 of 114
You say: take a silver cable. But how about the other speaker? That speaker doesn't benefit from a silver cable..
Just my thoughts, that silver cable would only contribute to one speaker. Should i also upgrade the Jack cable for the line in?

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #70 of 114
The A2 are, for me, the most impressive product Audioengine makes.  Given a resolute source (I often use my Dragonfly as DAC ahead of them, before that either my HRT Music Streamer II or Headroom Total Bithead) their dynamics are dazzling, considering their physical size.  I installed a few pairs in Mr. C's place (the DJ) and where-ever I put a pair I placed an HRT Music Streamer II ahead of them.  I would never consider "mud" as a way to describe their sound.  But, we ALL interpret differently.

I have my HRT microStreamer connected to them now - and the pairing is fantastic!
I have to share my REVIEW of the microStreamer with you guys.  It's mind-blowingly good.

BTW - the new A2+ is around the corner.  I've heard them, and they're excellent!!

Jan 18, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #71 of 114
Quote:
The A2 are, for me, the most impressive product Audioengine makes.  Given a resolute source (I often use my Dragonfly as DAC ahead of them, before that either my HRT Music Streamer II or Headroom Total Bithead) their dynamics are dazzling, considering their physical size.  I installed a few pairs in Mr. C's place (the DJ) and where-ever I put a pair I placed an HRT Music Streamer II ahead of them.  I would never consider "mud" as a way to describe their sound.  But, we ALL interpret differently.

I have my HRT microStreamer connected to them now - and the pairing is fantastic!
I have to share my REVIEW of the microStreamer with you guys.  It's mind-blowingly good.

BTW - the new A2+ is around the corner.  I've heard them, and they're excellent!!

Does the A2+ very sound different from the A2? I know it was going to have a built-in DAC, but or someone using their own DAC is it going to be a big enough improvement over the A2 to warrant an upgrade?

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #72 of 114
I agree that they perform loud considering their size and that is respectable, but the bass is so much overpowered. I use them with with my Macbook pro 2011 and I find a lot of songs missing detail and combined with (or maybe due to) the overpowered bass setting, the song becomes dull and annoying to listen too. It isn't clear and crisp like some Teufel speakers I've owned. Details I started to hear and enjoy in music disappeared again with the Audioengine A2's. I'm not saying they're not capable of playing detailed music, but I think they are tuned wrong. Of at least for my taste. A considerable amount of people beg to differ :)

Rock is just not entertaining. I own some Sennheiser HD25-1 ii cans and I'm constantly prone to grab it while the idea of getting quality desktop speakers was to leave the headphones be for other purposes.

I am looking for a DAC to connect them too, but it is not so easy to decide which. I've been offered a Maverick D1 with upgrades, but the Dragonfly would be very relaxed when it comes to size. Then again, I also have a normal PC on my desk and with the Maverick D1, I can easily change the inputs.
Both the Dragonfly and the HRT Microstreamer are not available in the Netherlands. I will have to import them, which can be expensive. I haven't seen a good offering for one of them yet.

I really hope I can make the A2's sound more like I want them too. But if it's not meant to be, then it's not :)
Will go with some Wharfdale's 9.1 then, or some M-audio speakers. I've just read that you owned some M-audio's (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/audioengine-2-great-computer-speakers/). Didn't you think they were much clearer, you disliked them a bit you said? I really want speakers that can make the details in guitar music right and the emotion that music can have. I'm talking artists like Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer and lots of other good artists or in general acoustic pop songs. I'm really not so much a electronic music listener.

Maybe a decent DAC is all I need. Connecting them via my PC with a cheap Creative Soundblaster Audigy S (or something) provides already clearer sound than the macbook. But I love working on the macbook. While I'm editing this post I'm listening to some Stevie Wonder songs and I must say they are very pleasant on the Audioengine's. The soul music is pretty full and warm. 

Quote:

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #73 of 114
So, in the mean time I managed to buy a second hand, modded Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 DAC from a fellow head-fi'er. The difference is very clear! The speakers now sound very much more detailed, warmer and sometimes really awesome, especially with instrumental music. They still are not that detailed as some other speakers I listened and the bass is still overpowered. With some music, like hiphop, the speakers resonate in their own bass when the volume is turned somewhat loud. 

If only the bass would be adjustable on the back or something, then they would be excellent speakers. They can really fill a decent room. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #74 of 114
Quote:
So, in the mean time I managed to buy a second hand, modded Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 DAC from a fellow head-fi'er. The difference is very clear! The speakers now sound very much more detailed, warmer and sometimes really awesome, especially with instrumental music. They still are not that detailed as some other speakers I listened and the bass is still overpowered. With some music, like hiphop, the speakers resonate in their own bass when the volume is turned somewhat loud. 

If only the bass would be adjustable on the back or something, then they would be excellent speakers. They can really fill a decent room. 

Thanks for the update. I may need to get a DAC soon. I have been using my Sansa and iPod as a source mostly. I agree the bass is just overpowering. Using the EQ just turn it down a little really helps a lot. Also EQing the treble up just bit add a little more excitement to the dull sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back