Audioengine A2 Review
Feb 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #106 of 114
  What about getting the A2+ and adding a sub later if I decide it lacks bass? Like I said, I'm not a bass head, I just like a nice bass for certain things but not brain-melting-ly overpowering. My family is very musically oriented, so I like being able to hear individual instruments/vocalists and the full range. Games I usually play include a few fps, third person adventures, and the occasional indie. I prefer games with great sound design to keep me immersed. I like headphones, but I just prefer good speakers after having grown up using them my whole life vs headphones.

Building on that last note, how are the A2s (not necessarily the A2+ but either way) compared to the Sennheiser HD 558s (both before and after foam mod)?

not sure ive heard a 558 but guessing taht the a2 will have less of a marked V shape lss upper end treble less resolution and the bass will trail away earlier and nothave so much of a hump as athe 558.  do bare in mind that the 558 will thoughily outclass them.  £ for £ you get considerably more audio quality in a headphone than you do a speaker.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #107 of 114
If you have the room on your desk, absolutely get the JBL LSR305 and spend another $100 on IsoAcoustics stands.  I saw a *pair* of the JBLs for sale on Amazon yesterday for $220.  It's unlikely you would ever need a sub with them for desktop or near-desk use.  You will need a DAC with a volume control and cables and two cheap TSR to RCA adapters, whereas the A2+ has a DAC built in.  

I have both the A2 and the LSR305.  The A2 used to be on my desk, but I moved them to my TV where they do brilliant duty.  I got the 305s because of uneven A2 bass response, and they are a night-and-day improvement in that department.  Midrange is on par, and the treble on the A2 is a tad rolled off for easy listening.  Imaging is on par, with the 305 providing better image stability and the A2 a bit more depth.  The rolled off A2 treble makes proper angling 100% critical, or you lose a lot of detail.  You can spread the 305s farther apart for a bigger image, or even put them on regular speaker stands in a traditional hifi setup.  The 305 really need to be at least four feet apart or you miss out on their imaging capabilities.   The deal-breaker for me was that some bass frequencies, especially with resonant instruments like cellos or close-miked male voices, simply belched on the little Audioengines at any kind of volume.  Further, the A2 cabinet is extremely lively, making resonance control both necessary and challenging on all but the most solid desktops, even with the stands intended for them.  They do best sitting on the Audioengine angled stands on top of granite blocks or foam yoga blocks, both of which work quite well.  Alas, IsoAcoustics stands do not come in a small enough size for the A2.

Good luck!

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #108 of 114
I fully get that headphones in a similar price class will outperform speakers. The problem is I've recently learned I can't wear circumaurals. They put pressure below my eat on the jaw joint. I've tried stretching, adjusting position, etc. This isn't the first time I've been through this either, so speakers are also kind of a requisite in order to still enjoy my music and games. I'm suffering with my PC monitor's built in speakers at the moment.

If the a2 won't do well, what do you recommend for oc gaming and music. Max budget $200. Keep on mind O don't have room for 8 inch speakers or giant subwoofers, so the size of a2 l, promedia, acs 621 is about the max sizzle I can accommodate.

Also, I'll edit the "PC gaming" part later, July phone won't let me select the text for some reason.

Feb 19, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #109 of 114
If you have the room on your desk, absolutely get the JBL LSR305 and spend another $100 on IsoAcoustics stands.  I saw a *pair* of the JBLs for sale on Amazon yesterday for $220.  It's unlikely you would ever need a sub with them for desktop or near-desk use.  You will need a DAC with a volume control and cables and two cheap TSR to RCA adapters, whereas the A2+ has a DAC built in.  

I have both the A2 and the LSR305.  The A2 used to be on my desk, but I moved them to my TV where they do brilliant duty.  I got the 305s because of uneven A2 bass response, and they are a night-and-day improvement in that department.  Midrange is on par, and the treble on the A2 is a tad rolled off for easy listening.  Imaging is on par, with the 305 providing better image stability and the A2 a bit more depth.  The rolled off A2 treble makes proper angling 100% critical, or you lose a lot of detail.  You can spread the 305s farther apart for a bigger image, or even put them on regular speaker stands in a traditional hifi setup.  The 305 really need to be at least four feet apart or you miss out on their imaging capabilities.   The deal-breaker for me was that some bass frequencies, especially with resonant instruments like cellos or close-miked male voices, simply belched on the little Audioengines at any kind of volume.  Further, the A2 cabinet is extremely lively, making resonance control both necessary and challenging on all but the most solid desktops, even with the stands intended for them.  They do best sitting on the Audioengine angled stands on top of granite blocks or foam yoga blocks, both of which work quite well.  Alas, IsoAcoustics stands do not come in a small enough size for the A2.

Good luck!

Sadly, I don't have room for stands or an external dac. My desk/room space is limited at the moment. Perhaps when I have a new place/desk, I would look into it, but sadly can't justify that right now. I prefer a minimal looking setup anyway. I am a photographer by trade, so aesthetic is important too. Not big on flashy looks.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #110 of 114
I still think that the A2 is the best of the lot. Prefer it to the A5 etc etc.They sound like their source, have great rhythm and clarity. Bass limited due to size but what's there is VG and they go lower than expected. Highs tend to be as smooth as their source. They suffer from sometimes being too revealing of what's coming in. Not their fault.

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #111 of 114
  I still think that the A2 is the best of the lot. Prefer it to the A5 etc etc.They sound like their source, have great rhythm and clarity. Bass limited due to size but what's there is VG and they go lower than expected. Highs tend to be as smooth as their source. They suffer from sometimes being too revealing of what's coming in. Not their fault.

That's what I've been reading thus far. I really like the design and overall package. Price is decent, I guess. I've decided to keep my HD 558s for now and let time and wear break them in some more. Hopefully they'll become more comfortable as they age; I might as well get good use out of them (for myself or my sister) since I bought them. But I do hope to step up to some good speakers some day, and hopefully have both for interchangeability.

I tested out the Promedias at a local Best Buy today. AWFUL! I went to the Guitar Center next door, and they let me test M Audio AV40, Rokit 5, Mackie Something5. I was impressed. I'd say the Rokit are better than Mackie for my ears, but I have to say the M Audio AV40 impressed me more, maybe due to the size. The bass seemed less in your face, but it was still very pronounced, and I could hear some amazing instrumentals throughout the range of music they played (which, admittedly, seemed biased toward bass-heavy songs). For $150 USD, the M Audio are impressive, but still too massive for my desk. Dang, I miss my Altec Lansing 621. I haven't found anything that sounded quite like them but maintained a decent size ratio.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #112 of 114
A2s just sound 'right'. It's not about bandwidth or how ranges sound. They play music.
smile.gif

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #113 of 114
  That's what I've been reading thus far. I really like the design and overall package. Price is decent, I guess. I've decided to keep my HD 558s for now and let time and wear break them in some more. Hopefully they'll become more comfortable as they age; I might as well get good use out of them (for myself or my sister) since I bought them. But I do hope to step up to some good speakers some day, and hopefully have both for interchangeability.

I tested out the Promedias at a local Best Buy today. AWFUL! I went to the Guitar Center next door, and they let me test M Audio AV40, Rokit 5, Mackie Something5. I was impressed. I'd say the Rokit are better than Mackie for my ears, but I have to say the M Audio AV40 impressed me more, maybe due to the size. The bass seemed less in your face, but it was still very pronounced, and I could hear some amazing instrumentals throughout the range of music they played (which, admittedly, seemed biased toward bass-heavy songs). For $150 USD, the M Audio are impressive, but still too massive for my desk. Dang, I miss my Altec Lansing 621. I haven't found anything that sounded quite like them but maintained a decent size ratio.

If the AV40 is too big then the A2+ is probably your best bet. You can get them refurbished directly from Audioengine for $200 if helps them fit your budget a little better. Like I said in my previous post though, Audioengine should be releasing the update to the A2+ the HD3 in the near future. Only time will tell how it compares to the A2+ but I just wanted to mention that again because I would hate to buy the A2+ and realize a few months later the HD3 are better (or that the price of the A2+ has dropped).

Feb 20, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #114 of 114
  If the AV40 is too big then the A2+ is probably your best bet. You can get them refurbished directly from Audioengine for $200 if helps them fit your budget a little better. Like I said in my previous post though, Audioengine should be releasing the update to the A2+ the HD3 in the near future. Only time will tell how it compares to the A2+ but I just wanted to mention that again because I would hate to buy the A2+ and realize a few months later the HD3 are better (or that the price of the A2+ has dropped).

I completely understand. I plan on holding off for a bit longer anyway. Thanks to everyone for all their help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back