Audioengine A2 Review
Feb 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #16 of 114

Quote:
really? that's interesting. I had the A5's for about a week (they were a present for a relative), and liked them more than the A2's. to me they're a clear upgrade to the A2's. I'd take the A5's over the A2's any-day.

FWIW I did not use stands with the a5 but they sounded to me to have too much (and too flabby) bass at any listening level on my desk.  I think I tried playing with the positioning at one point and still didn't like what I heard so much.  I don't like to EQ so I probably could have gone that route but chose not to.

These days I have a pair of vintage NHT Super Zeros with Aurelex mopads, a Dayton dta100a t-amp, and an HSU sub - at around $400 I like it so far.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #17 of 114
Mark, great review.  If it had only been about 2-3 weeks earlier.  Bought the A5's (not the +) and returned them.  Now I have the A2's.  Though I do have them paired with the Nuforce W-1 sub/extender.  The A5's may have been better if I was looking room filling sound, but for a near field desktop setup they were just too much in my face.  Really happy with the A2's.

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #18 of 114
Cant wait for the Audioengine A2+ with included remote control hahaha

Great review, Im actually thinking about selling my A5 for some A2s due to my living condition in the next year. Also its very nice because they are actual bookshelf style speakers so I dont have to worry about spacing. 
If the bass is actually insufficient which may be possible due to my coming from the A5, I can always get a sub.

also are you thinking about doing a review on the audioengine p4? which i hear are great but due require that speaker amplifier. 
Thanks for the review

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #19 of 114
Quote:
also are you thinking about doing a review on the audioengine p4? which i hear are great but due require that speaker amplifier. 
Thanks for the review

well should someone like to send me a pair then yes, as it was AMP3 that leant me these they dont sell the p4.  im not sure i know anyone who does of the top of my head either in the UK.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #20 of 114
Quote:
Mark, great review.  If it had only been about 2-3 weeks earlier.  Bought the A5's (not the +) and returned them.  Now I have the A2's.  Though I do have them paired with the Nuforce W-1 sub/extender.  The A5's may have been better if I was looking room filling sound, but for a near field desktop setup they were just too much in my face.  Really happy with the A2's.

The A2's are very good sounding speakers... I doubt the A5 has the same sound signature as the A2.   I hooked up a full silver Audioquest Angel cable to it from MBP and the sound is even more impressive.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #21 of 114
I agree they are good sounding speakers.  I upgraded from a Matrix Cube to NFB10 and was impressed how well these small speakers scale up - the A2s have a mid-bass bump and they sound better when paired with a neutral source.

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #22 of 114
I am VERY satisfied with my Audioengine 2 + Presonus Firestudio Mobile + Good cables + Argon SUB840
biggrin.gif
But they sound incredible even with the subwoofer turned off.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 114
Quote:
I am VERY satisfied with my Audioengine 2 + Presonus Firestudio Mobile + Good cables + Argon SUB840
biggrin.gif
But they sound incredible even with the subwoofer turned off.

Sounds like a nice setup you got there. I just looked up Argon SUB840. Looks schweet...... Made from Denmark? :D

I have $800 to spare for my living room setup.  Gonna get me the following:

- Audioengine A2 speakers ($200)
- 10" subwoofer.  I am leaning toward a Hsu Research STF-2 ($319)
- Asus Xonar DX7.1 PCI Express sound card ($87.99)

They'll be mated to my Windows HTPC.

How much is that... 200+320+88.... $608.  I've got about $150 left for the subwoofer cable...... I can't get better cable as i'm broke man.... had to renew my plates, pay out my state income tax, and gotta get washer and dryer dang it.....   Is that good sound card?  I don't need bunch of features... I just need good sound chip and line out for front channels and sub.

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #24 of 114
Will be getting a SVS SB12-NSD subwoofer instead..  twice the price, but this maybe a solid product, something worth every dollar.

Once I get it setup with Audioengine A2 speakers I will post my impression.....

:cool:

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #25 of 114
Quote:
Sounds like a nice setup you got there. I just looked up Argon SUB840. Looks schweet...... Made from Denmark? :D

I have $800 to spare for my living room setup.  Gonna get me the following:

- Audioengine A2 speakers ($200)
- 10" subwoofer.  I am leaning toward a Hsu Research STF-2 ($319)
- Asus Xonar DX7.1 PCI Express sound card ($87.99)

They'll be mated to my Windows HTPC.

How much is that... 200+320+88.... $608.  I've got about $150 left for the subwoofer cable...... I can't get better cable as i'm broke man.... had to renew my plates, pay out my state income tax, and gotta get washer and dryer dang it.....   Is that good sound card?  I don't need bunch of features... I just need good sound chip and line out for front channels and sub.

Yes Argon 840 is pretty good! :)
If you have the money, why dont go for the Audioengine 5+? They have much more power.
rolleyes.gif
But the A2s is perfectly for desktop, sounds just as sweet if not better for near-field listening!

Aug 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #26 of 114
Quote:
Yes Argon 840 is pretty good! :)
If you have the money, why dont go for the Audioengine 5+? They have much more power.
rolleyes.gif
But the A2s is perfectly for desktop, sounds just as sweet if not better for near-field listening!

Yeah but A2 sounds better than the A5, which is why I wanted to go A2 route.  Looking for quality and sound signature over volume...

Got myself a SVS SB12-NSD sub.

The lows will go as low as 23 hz and as high as 270 hz.  Expensive, but I feel it's a solid purchase.

Sound good so far.  Planning to get me another pair of A2's to add, to complete a 5.1 channel system.  For now it's running as 2.1 channel.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #27 of 114
Quote:

Yeah but A2 sounds better than the A5, which is why I wanted to go A2 route.  Looking for quality and sound signature over volume...

Got myself a SVS SB12-NSD sub.

The lows will go as low as 23 hz and as high as 270 hz.  Expensive, but I feel it's a solid purchase.

Sound good so far.  Planning to get me another pair of A2's to add, to complete a 5.1 channel system.  For now it's running as 2.1 channel.

Yeah, the A2s is soo nice.

Oh, a 5.1 system with only A2's and a nice subwoofer, ME WANT
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back