Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Aug 20, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #571 of 916
If you use its network interface you could use Roon, HQPlayer, Airplay or as UPnP (in Android i use BubbleUPnaP to send music)

Aug 27, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #572 of 916
Any update on when volume control will be implemented in HUB? I am going dac-direct from VOX to my amplifier (using the volume control in the VOX). I would expect that sound quality will further improve if VOX output is fixed.

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #573 of 916
You could disable the volume contro (and the built in HP amp) l by turning "Direct DSD" on.
I was using this function and let my Pathos amp's do the volume . Using this before when "Direct DSD" was set at DSD512. Later it was reduced to DSD256 thru an update. Now I just set Vox's volume to max and use the volume control on my amp.

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #574 of 916
You could disable the volume contro (and the built in HP amp) l by turning "Direct DSD" on.
I was using this function and let my Pathos amp's do the volume . Using this before when "Direct DSD" was set at DSD512. Later it was reduced to DSD256 thru an update. Now I just set Vox's volume to max and use the volume control on my amp.
Hi m-i-c-k-e-y, I am using a Plinius power amp (with no in-built volume control), thus I need to use the digital volume control of the VOX. Did you compare sound quality between using volume control of the VOX vs using analog volume control of the Pathos (with VOX at fixed output)?

Aug 27, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #575 of 916
Nope. My Pathos don't have a bypass feature. So decided to use Pathos' control instead of using two. And out of convenience. Controlling only one device and being assured that my HP's volume are under control.

But there was a distinction when using Direct DSD. But when the update was changed to DSD256, I couldn't barely detect the difference.

Sep 6, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #576 of 916
Updated the Hub (need to do twice, first an app update and then system update)

They added OpenHome protocol and fixed the UPnP and Android issues, don't know how it is for the rest.

With UPnP I could now play DXD and DSD256 (DSD512 stutters..) via BubbleUPnP.

Could now do Android playback using UAPP on DXD and DSD256. DSD512 is interpreted as DXD. Don't know if this is a hardware or software issue.

Using between SU-6 thru SPDIF/AES and UPnP via LAN has minimal SQ difference. The former a bit refined, nuanced, smoother but minimal. Could trade it in favor of UPnP for convenience (no SU-6, DSD256 and control via BubbleUPnP).

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #578 of 916
Did Audiobyte/Nicolae announced/said this? Or a user feature request?

Don't know how will they do this since HUB has no BT (well there's LAN/RJ45). And Vox has no uplink connection to the HUB.

There is a USB Host, maybe you could plug a BT tranceiver.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #579 of 916
Nicolae announced the remote support for the HUB via application, yes.
As it's Linux based OS, I don't see that difficult to implement.

It would be also nice to change the settings on the fly to test the various filters. Also volume control is supposed to come, as it's one of the features advertised on the product webpage.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #580 of 916
Just sharing a part of the email Nicolae sent to me today:

... Regarding VOX, we are working on the Torpedo firmware which will include a updated DS modulator for better sound quality and complete removal on mute-relay activation between tracks. More details to follow.

Best Regards,

Nicolae

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #581 of 916
Is it possible to unplug the integrated headphone amp? I've already had the unit open to set the DC offset after upgrading the firmware. I noticed the headphone amp is a separate PCB with a single cable connecting it to the main board. Unplugging it would save a lot of heat, since I don't need to use the headphone amp.

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #582 of 916
You turning ON DSD Direct will also disable your Headphone Amp. But will bypass also your preamp functions and setting volume to max.

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #585 of 916
None published at the moment. If you register your Vox at their support site (https://support.audiobyte.net/), you can download the latest.

Currently at their support site are
FW 153_276_119 if you have FPGA version 1.41 or lower.
FW 154_276_119 if you have FPGA version 1.42 .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back