Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #526 of 916
Hello, yes I am powering my HUB with a Silent Angel Forester F1 Linear PSU.
But I asked Nicolae to prepare a cable for the purpose (one end with the proprietary plug from the HUB and the other end with a standard 5.5x2.1 plug).
Everything is working fine... but I have to plug/unplug the cable from the PSU to switch on/off the HUB.
Nicolae should implement remote control once the android/apple application will support the HUB.

I think you should ask for the name of the plug (HUB side) and the pins order...so we can also prepare better "audiophile" cable for it.
I have asked in the past... but never got a reply.
Or simply ask Nicolae to prepare a cable for you, with a compatible plug for your PSU .

Let me know how it goes.
Dear Miracle,
Thanks for your reply and sharing!

I think you've made great progress.
Because your cable can be measured with an electric meter, you can know which pin the "positive and negative" on the standard 5.5x2.1 plug end is connected to on the HUB's 8pin connector.

Then we can get the pinout as we need.

In the final result, we need to determine which pin of the 8pin connector of the HUB corresponds to the "positive pin and the negative pin".
Then we can use this "positive and negative pin" location to make other different kinds of connector cables.

The concept as follow picture:
0610-7.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #527 of 916
Hi elf21400,

I'm not really into electric/electronic stuff and I don't think to have anything to measure.

This is the picture of the cable end (the one that goes into my PSU)...Im not really sure what could be measured from this plug.

Nicolae or anyone from his team should be easily able to provide the pin layout as they were the ones preparing this cable.

Have you bought your unit directly from them or via a dealer/distributor?
IMG-20220413-WA0027.jpg

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #528 of 916
Hi elf21400,

I'm not really into electric/electronic stuff and I don't think to have anything to measure.

This is the picture of the cable end (the one that goes into my PSU)...Im not really sure what could be measured from this plug.

Nicolae or anyone from his team should be easily able to provide the pin layout as they were the ones preparing this cable.

Have you bought your unit directly from them or via a dealer/distributor?
IMG-20220413-WA0027.jpg
Dear Miracle,
Thanks for your reply!
It's ok and many thanks for your info.

Actually I have already written mail to the audiobyte official and sent a message on the audiobyte official Facebook before, just waiting for their response...
If there is any update, I will share it here and let you know too, thanks.

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #529 of 916
I asked Rockna 3 weeks ago to help me construct the 2.1mm to 8-pin adapter dc power cable and was told they're waiting on a lot of connector parts. I haven't received any updates since then. I wonder why there's no 5vDC - and + markings on the circuit board.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #531 of 916
So I have now the HUB replacement and the I2S works. Updated the firmware and it seems it somewhat resolved the 0.5 second issue playing via JRiver or HQplayer thru ASIO. W/in normal windows environment, that issue still prevails.

Please take this as a grain of salt. Just writing what I am listening so far....will revise later when i have more time with the unit.

Experiences:
- LAN via HQ Player works. Tested DXD (352Khz) and DSD128 so far.
- Upsampling to PCM768 and DSD512 works, BUT, using USB as input, need to increase volume and quality seems (IMO) not par w/ Bitperfect/Native resolution. Sound/Dynamics becomes "closed". Via SPDIF seems don't have this drawback.
- Have a problem using LAN via UPnP. Max quality is only at 48K. Previous unit I could go 192Khz/DSD64 (via SPDIF). But I like the sound I am hearing. So bummer.
- Problem accessing USB via Linux/Android. Sees the HUB but error communicating.

On Input: USB, LAN and SPDIF (havn't tried AES or Toslink yet)
Best so far is thru SPDIF (see below), then LAN (need to further confirm this) then USB.

On output: I2S and SPDIF:
On brief listening so far I2S coming from HUB has bit more definition. SPDIF a bit "analog".
To each his own flavor. Need to confirm more.

More!:
So it leaves me an unused Singxer SU-6. It has USB galvanic isolation/reclock etc. SO? Hook it up! So its..
PC (USB) -> Singxer SU-6 (SPDIF, upto PCM384/DSD128) -> HUB (SPDIF or I2S) -> VOX

I LIKE IT BETTER! Than USB or LAN on HUB.
So this is what I am listening now.

Next:
Will try Android on Singxer since direct to the HUB will not function.

So?
HUB has many functions, many things to improve.
If they could make the UPnP work. That will be very good for me. Won't need a streamer anymore, direct to HUB.

As said too early...Just my 2cents for now....
"Have a problem using LAN via UPnP. Max quality is only at 48K."

I am facing the same issue with the HUB. Lan input (with UPnP Renderer service enabled), all incoming files are playing at max 48K. DSD files do not play on my HUB.

Has anyone else tried UPnP on the HUB?

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #532 of 916
My 2 dc cables (1 male and 1 female connector) have been constructed and being shipped to me. Shipping is super expensive. Total price is 117 Euros including shipping. 30 Euros for each dc cable. My wallet is crying right now.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #533 of 916
My 2 dc cables (1 male and 1 female connector) have been constructed and being shipped to me. Shipping is super expensive. Total price is 117 Euros including shipping. 30 Euros for each dc cable. My wallet is crying right now.
Damn, this is really expensive! Have you requested some special cable (silver plated or OCC) or is it the standard ones...same as I received?

Did you manage to find out the name of their connector plug and the pins order?

Jun 15, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #534 of 916
I didn't make any special request for cable type, so I think it's just the standard one. I didn't get the info for the pins order but I think I can find out with my fluke meter when I get it. The male and female 2.1mm connectors are what I'll be getting for my dc cables.

DC_5.5_2.1mm_connectors.png

Jun 15, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #535 of 916
How do I initiate the firmware update? I've tried playing the .wav file in both Roon and Musicbee using ASIO, and nothing seems to happen? The manual says a progress bar should appear, but I'm not getting that.

Jun 16, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #536 of 916
How do I initiate the firmware update? I've tried playing the .wav file in both Roon and Musicbee using ASIO, and nothing seems to happen? The manual says a progress bar should appear, but I'm not getting that.
To update the Vox firmware I also play it through Roon but you have to make sure you play it bit perfect, so no upsampling or anything else. It should work if you turn all DSP settings off in Roon and don't use any upsampling in between (like from the Hub).

Jun 16, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #537 of 916

You need to play the file bit perfect. For Rockna dac, I used Foobar2000 with volume set at maximum, wasapi event output, fade options unchecked.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #538 of 916
Hoping HUB will simply replace the Raspberry Pi 4 and use I2S to VOX. If a Raspberry Pi can do the stream rendering without a hiccup it seems like the HUB should be able to as well.:smile_phones:
With great anticipation received the new Hydra stack including HUB last Friday (6/10/22). Initial impression w/o hub using HQP Network Audio Adaptor (raspberry pi 4 w/audiolinix & HQP NAA) connected USB to VOX. It does sound a bit closed in, sound stage not as wide as Chord Qutest. But after listening a bit the hole in the middle between my speakers that the Qutest left is now filled in by the VOX. Can hear voices much more in center as well as other instruments. Like the more realistic presentation the VOX produces. Also VOX seems so much speedier with percussion and like the bass!

Got around to connecting the HUB to the VOX using I2S (standard HDMI cable) and connecting HUB to LAN. Without too much trouble was able to configure HUB for LAN HQP NAA for input and I2S for output. It really sounds glorious with native (no upsampling) DSD 5.6/6.1 MHz sampling from HQPlayer but could hear some high frequency popping and crackling. After a few hours of messing around with settings found if the Rate Limit is dropped in HQPlayer to DSD 2.8 MHz the popping and crackling disappeared. DSD 2.8 MHz didn't sound as good as the higher rate with the popping and crackling going on.

A little later was thinking that the HUB has quit a few inputs other than LAN so connected the raspberry pi 4 with the HQPlayer NAA to the HUB via USB input, then connected the LAN to the pi and made a few settings changes on the HUB. Wow, 6.1 MHz DSD has never sounded so good!!! No popping at all. And still using the I2S between HUB and VOX so can still do upsampling if desired. It seems there is an issue with the LAN portion of the HUB. Got a work around to enjoy the Hydra system with HQPlayer. Now running break-in track in Roon. Did contact vendor and let them know of the issue and they've contacted Audiobyte.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back