Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Sep 13, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #346 of 915
Interesting thing happening with the Zap. Randomly as I am listening to music and pause for awhile, I will hear what sounds like electronic deflating? Basically sounds like a sharp static sound that slowly reduces in volume. This has happened a couple of times so far, and had no idea what was going on until just now I looked at the voltage on my Zap. Only seems to happen when music isnt playing. My Zap V is set to +-18.2v. After this most recent deflating electronics static sound, I noticed that the Zap + Voltage was at +13.4V and wasnt coming back to +18.2V. When I turn it off and on it all the voltages came back to normal.

Anyone else experience this? Just wanted to post here before I spend my time trying to email audiobyte to figure it out. Feels like a capacitor beginning to let go, but honestly have no idea what is going on.
I've had that happen also, not sure what it is. But yeah sounds like deflating whine then it goes away. Might be the pc I have nearby or something.

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #347 of 915
I've had that happen also, not sure what it is. But yeah sounds like deflating whine then it goes away. Might be the pc I have nearby or something.
next time this happens can you take a look at your voltages on the Vox? I really should have taken a picture instead of turning it off and on. I will next time.

Sep 13, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #349 of 915
I think you can change it if you want? I haven't changed mine, and it's set at 5.0v for the cap, and +-18.2v for analog. When I had what I think sounds like cap whine, the + side went down to 13.4V and didn't come back to normal till I turned it off and on.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #351 of 915
Have been just letting it simmer and listening to bookshelf all day at lowish volume so no comparison or feedback. but holy crap, this thing gets so hot. it gets hotter than any class A amp that I have had... actually warms up my room. Not quite as warm as a tube amp, but definitely uncomfortable to the the touch on the heat sink fin things after a few hours.
I'm interested, but I'm not sure I understand .... which unit is the hot one?

Thanks

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #352 of 915
Both units are hot for me. I do have them stacked though, and the Zap seems slightly hotter. No idea if the Vox is getting hot because it is on top of the Zap.

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #354 of 915
Quick update.

Have been chatting with Nicolae, and he has told me that my Zap needs to be sent in for a manual firmware update. I will be sending my units in and while its in there will also get checked for any issues in regards to the voltage drops. He seems to think its not a big issue, but does not seem he has heard anything about this issue previously so they will check the unit while its in and get it repaired if they find anything wrong. Will report back if I get any details.

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #355 of 915
Quick update.

Have been chatting with Nicolae, and he has told me that my Zap needs to be sent in for a manual firmware update. I will be sending my units in and while its in there will also get checked for any issues in regards to the voltage drops. He seems to think its not a big issue, but does not seem he has heard anything about this issue previously so they will check the unit while its in and get it repaired if they find anything wrong. Will report back if I get any details.
I have the same issue where the voltage drops and it's super hot. Wonder if I have to send mine in also. Where do you have to send it into?

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #356 of 915
I have the same issue where the voltage drops and it's super hot. Wonder if I have to send mine in also. Where do you have to send it into?
You send the unit to a vendor. Usually who you bought it from in the US. Not sure what the policy is outside of the US. Don't think the heat is an issue, think it's just how it was designed personally. Has been noted by others and also measured by one. Mine is actually second hand, so it's going to the vendor I am in line with for the Hub (Audio Mirror).

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #357 of 915
You send the unit to a vendor. Usually who you bought it from in the US. Not sure what the policy is outside of the US. Don't think the heat is an issue, think it's just how it was designed personally. Has been noted by others and also measured by one. Mine is actually second hand, so it's going to the vendor I am in line with for the Hub (Audio Mirror).
Ah Ok. Thanks.

Sep 21, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #358 of 915
So did the Hub arrive yet?
Heard the Wavelight Server is directly next

Sep 21, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #359 of 915

Users who are viewing this thread

Back