Audiobyte Hydra Stack: Hydra.Vox + Hydra.Hub + Hydra Zap
Apr 23, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #287 of 916
I think so. Just like their Hydra Z and ZPM.

May 9, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #288 of 916
Fairly quiet in here.

Just an update that I found a way to control remotely my Android TV Box that i am using as player/streamer for my Hydra.Vox: Teamviewer!

image.png

May 20, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #289 of 916
Seems quiet...Or are we all in music mode? Any feedbacks?

Care to share what settings/filters you ended up?

May 21, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #291 of 916
Bought an Singxer SU-6 as stop gap for the HUB. Feeding it to my VOX via I2S. Using Linear also as filter but with DSD Direct ON. From my VOX using INPOL EAR as a dedicated HP/Preamp. VOX is now DAC only.

May 21, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #293 of 916
My thoughts too...

May 24, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #294 of 916
I've read through this thread about the good and bad of the Audiobyte combo.

Absent the (incoming) Hub, would you say the overall sound quality of the vox/zap combo makes the "quirks" of using the DAC worthwhile? I have a Singxer SU-1 that has a USB>I2S converter, so that part isn't an issue.

It is a Delta-Sigma DAC, correct? I ask because the other DAC I am considering right now is the Xi Audio Sagra DAC, which is an R2R DAC.

Also, does the Vox work with Linux? I have a Linux-based streamer.

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #295 of 916
Like most USB connections on DACs its main enemies are dirty power, jitter, clocking issues etc. Having a DDC (like your SU-1), it will try to minimize those problems. I2S have become a popular connection since it can support higher bit and depth rates.

There are other solutions to the problem however. Say a very good USB Reclock/Regen device such as Uptone's ISO Regen or Innuous' Phoenix USB (other manufacturers like Chord or Sonore tell their clients that USB is still the way to go). And this Audiobyte is none different than most DACs having a USB connection.

What we are eager about this upcoming HUB is that it is a further up than other DDC out there:
- powered from a sophisticated LPS (from Vox.ZAP)
- format converter (PCM to DSD or DSD to PCM)
- Upsampler (PCM384, DSD512)
- Network Streamer
- Digital Preamp

Aside from the usual Reclocker, USB Interface / Digital Converter found on normal DDC (like Singxer's).

Connected to my Hydra.VOX is a Singxer SU-6 via an LH Labs Revive USB Reclock/Regen. With this stop-gap solution, tell you the sound is already great. Even with USB alone, others say it beats the Termi.

However, still curious what the Vox.HUB will bring with all those additional advantages.

Oh, Its an FPGA DAC like Chord, PS Audio.

They are working still with Linux compatibility. But with an SU-1 (as with my SU-6) as DDC there is no need.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #296 of 916
Right, so I had some time with these boxes and here are some of my observation

Day 1
Slightly dark sounding with a a slight emphasis on bass
While the details were forthcoming and clarity was great, it sounded a little closed
Soundstage was not as wide as I expected but the depth was excellent

Day 2 onward
The slight bass emphasis had receded and overall tonality had lifted, resulting in a more noticeable opening sounding
No longer slightly dark sounding but largely neutral and rather clean sounding, but never in your face
Soundstage improved noticeably too, with good width to complement the excellent depth

The Vox has a rather big sound, I attribute this to the supercaps in the Zap
It is a great sounding DAC, largely neutral and very resolving and this allows the musical Sugden Class A and Monkey 93 to sing and express themselves

Keep in mind there are 3 different firmwares representing 3 separate sonic profiles.

May 25, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #297 of 916
Has anyone bought this specifically to be used with SET amps? I'm interested in getting a new dac and has shortlisted the hydra stack as one of the candidates for my upgrade. I'll mainly be using this with tube amps and won't be able to take advantage of it's balanced output so it is important for the single ended performance not to be compromised.

May 25, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #298 of 916
Has anyone bought this specifically to be used with SET amps? I'm interested in getting a new dac and has shortlisted the hydra stack as one of the candidates for my upgrade. I'll mainly be using this with tube amps and won't be able to take advantage of it's balanced output so it is important for the single ended performance not to be compromised.
I'm running the Amp and Sound Kensie encore through single ended connection and it sounds the same as balanced to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back