Audiobyte Hydra: High-End USB interface
Jul 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #17 of 189
Quote:
Will these dirvers work in windows 8?

I have Windows 8 ( Pro 64 bit ) and it works perfectly. Also, Audiobyte just released the Asio drivers. I tested the 64 bit version (with the 64bit asio drivers checkbox checked in foobar2000) and it works just fine.

16.06.2013 - A few important upgrades regarding Hydra-X usb interface:
- native ASIO is now supported by Hydra-X. You can go to the 
product page
 and download the ASIO package. 
- DSD over PCM (DoP) support is now enabled on S/PDIF and AES/EBU outputs. DSD64 and DSD128 rates are supported.
- DSD256 and DSD512 native dsd output is now enabled via I2S/HDMI output (via ASIO driver).

Jul 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 189
A few other questions for ya.. 
biggrin.gif

What are you using to power the device?

Does it need the +5V power from the PC?

Jul 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #21 of 189
Quote:
A few other questions for ya.. 
biggrin.gif

What are you using to power the device?

Does it need the +5V power from the PC?

It is completely isolated from the usb. It comes with a external power supply that recharges the battery when needed. The device only works from battery. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #23 of 189
please welcome a new Hydra-X user.. :D
Got it 3 days ago, first day I let it warm up for 2 hours and then sit for a long 4 hour listening...
Oh my...this thing changed my system quite drastically!
First thing that i noticed was a very black background, complete silence between audio notes, its like crowded music is not crowded anymore, now every single note has its own space in the soundstage, imaging is a lot better than using USB from my DAC.
Secondly DAT BASS, holy smokes I never thought my HD800 can be bass monsters with just a S/PDIF interface and not ever touching the EQ.
on LCD-3 is just yummy on some old and new rock.
Thirdly, sound became smooth like butter on the frying pan :)
Now I can finally forget what grain and sibilance mean.
I'm very pleased with changes brought to my system, it's really special to me.

I had few times M2tech HiFace EVO + battery supply (without the clock) and while it was nice, it is nowhere near the performance of Hydra-X.

...goes hunting for a good coaxial cable....

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #27 of 189
Quote:
please welcome a new Hydra-X user.. :D
Got it 3 days ago, first day I let it warm up for 2 hours and then sit for a long 4 hour listening...
Oh my...this thing changed my system quite drastically!
First thing that i noticed was a very black background, complete silence between audio notes, its like crowded music is not crowded anymore, now every single note has its own space in the soundstage, imaging is a lot better than using USB from my DAC.
Secondly DAT BASS, holy smokes I never thought my HD800 can be bass monsters with just a S/PDIF interface and not ever touching the EQ.
on LCD-3 is just yummy on some old and new rock.
Thirdly, sound became smooth like butter on the frying pan :)
Now I can finally forget what grain and sibilance mean.
I'm very pleased with changes brought to my system, it's really special to me.

I had few times M2tech HiFace EVO + battery supply (without the clock) and while it was nice, it is nowhere near the performance of Hydra-X.

...goes hunting for a good coaxial cable....

Hey Darku! Welcome to the club! :D 

It will get better with a good coax cable. It sure did for me. I bought this thick baby : http://www.hifi123.nl/nl/w-m-audio-dc-01-digital-interconnect.html

The bass gets even better with it, and not only that but details, dynamics, clarity, etc 

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #28 of 189
Quote:
Good to know.  So what DAC are you using with the Hydra-X?

I have the same setup that Dan has: Burson Conductor (as DAC and Amp) + LCD-3 and HD800.
HIface 1 and Mars were maybe slightly better than USB input of the Burson, but Hydra smokes any s/pdif interface or other transports I have tried

Jul 12, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #29 of 189
Quote:
Hey Darku! Welcome to the club! :D 

Thanks man!!!
That cable looks sexy, I should try it first at your place.
Funny thing is that I had that cable in my home for one week, but didnt have the Hydra to try it out, now I dont have it but I have the Hydra
biggrin.gif

Offtopic: I should learn how to do multiple quotes in one post..

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #30 of 189
Have you tried optical vs coax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back