audio xciter for iphone
Jul 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bertopl

New Head-Fier
anyone tried this app yet?? not really an eq, but it's supposed to enhance your lossy music files to sound better. I'm using it with mostly itunes match quality files with an iphone 4s and some b&w p5's or beyerdynamic dt1350's and my music collection sounds so much better to my ears running it through this app. makes both headphones sound a bit bigger and more detailed. I know some purists may not like "enhancing" music files but it's one of my favorite iphone apps atm.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 11
Bump.

I'm using it with some HF5s, and I'm not gonna pretend to know what it's doing, but I like what it does to my music. If I'm playing high bitrate or lossless files, it does seem to drown out a bit of detail, but everything sounds much more exciting than my light EQ settings, and it seems to sound better/more accurate than my heavy EQ settings. .

The company seems legit, they seem to make some quality amps and other audio hardware. 

The settings confuse me, but this is a quote from the website.

Once you do the in-app upgrade to Audio Xciter Studio, you’ll have total control over the powerful Aphex processor. Following are brief explanations for each of the six controls:

• “AE TUNE” – This adjusts the point in the frequency spectrum where the app’s treble enhancement occurs. Higher settings add “air” to the sound while lower settings bring up the midrange, like vocals and guitars. Setting this very high could become inaudible, depending on the capabilities of your speakers, ear buds or headphones.

• “HARMONICS” – This determines how much harmonic enhancement gets added by the app. The effect of this control can be subtle or very pronounced since it is dynamically dependent on the program material. There is no wrong setting here; experiment and set it to what sounds good to your ear.

• “AE MIX” – This sets the amount of treble enhancement added by the app, including the harmonic enhancement.

• “DRIVE” – Use this control along with the blue Drive indicators. Set it so the Drive indicators illuminate with the bass pulse or beat of the audio. This optimizes the patented Aphex process that dynamically enhances the bass frequencies for a bigger and punchier sound with minimal increase in level.

• “BB TUNE’ – This adjusts the point in the frequency spectrum where the app’s bass enhancement occurs. Lower settings will fatten up the audio while higher settings can be useful to thicken up very old recordings that don’t have much low end. Settings that are very low could be inaudible, depending on the capabilities of your speakers, ear buds or headphones.

• “BB MIX” – This sets the amount of bass enhancement added by the app. Use it in conjunction with the Drive control. Once Drive is set to illuminate with the bass pulse or beat of the audio, use BB Mix to suit your taste.

Sounds like a fancy EQ to me, but they say it's not. 

No. Equalizers statically alter the frequency response of audio, meaning that they do not react to the audio itself. Audio Xciter is a smart circuit that dynamically reacts and constantly adjusts, in real-time, based on the audio signal being played, all without “latency” (lag). No EQ can do what Aphex has proven in studios and on stage with major artists and producers – and now, on mobile devices!

http://app.aphex.com/support/

There are some other interesting bits on that page. The program needs to "see" the whole audio file, hence it won't work with streams or video. They also claim it doesn't "color" your music, something you don't hear much from other audio "enhancement" apps.

Anyone smarter than me care to chime in? Also, are there any other good audio "apps" I should know about?

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 11
Bumping once again, after using this for awhile.

I've been playing with this and SonicMax Pro, which seems to be the apps of choice here on Head Fi. While I do like SonicMax Pro, to me, it's nothing more than a very light enhancement for my music. Toggling on/off, I can barely tell it's there, which is isn't a bad thing... it's just not too exciting. 

The Xciter app is much, much more interesting to me. If I'm stuck with cheap earbuds, car speakers, or whatever, it seems to bring the most out of the high/low end of whatever I play. The fact that my Hf5 sounds so clinical and neutral may have something to do with this, but I love what it does to my music with these buds in even more. Rock, Heavy Metal, Classic/Orchestra, Rap, Electronic, Folk, Alternative... it just makes everything more exciting than any EQ setting I could come up with, and it does it without destroying parts of the sound. 

The effect is so noticeable, in fact, that I've had a friend ask what I did to my car speakers/ipod music. 

Being a noob here, I'm sure it actually mutilates your music. I like what it does irregardless. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 11
this is the most interesting app i've had, i own many EQ apps on appstore but by far this is the best. I don't know what technology did they use in the app but i'm sure that it's not a EQ app at all

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 11
Meh,...it sux! But I do give you props for being sneaky with spam,...

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Oct 24, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Meh,...it sux! But I do give you props for being sneaky with spam,...

i don't get it why it's considered a spam when the post is not too long ago?
btw some people definitely have some hearing problem if they can't tell how much different the app compared to orignal records . 
The app is truly beneficial for anyone having old mp3 records, i'm still surprised how it brought out the details of soundstage
Considering this one is sux, do you actually have "something" that's considered better or best here in appstore ( pls not EQu, Equalizer, Sonixmacpro ) 

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #8 of 11
i don't get it why it's considered a spam when the post is not too long ago?
btw some people definitely have some hearing problem if they can't tell how much different the app compared to orignal records . 
The app is truly beneficial for anyone having old mp3 records, i'm still surprised how it brought out the details of soundstage
Considering this one is sux, do you actually have "something" that's considered better or best here in appstore ( pls not EQu, Equalizer, Sonixmacpro ) 

If a "reputable" member of Head-Fi, with more than 1 or 2 posts, reviews this I'd consider it. Now, considering the posters in this thread who extol it's benefits & sq, I'd consider it spam.

Get someone with time & Head-Fi cred in here and we can deal. Make sense to you now? You sound like a salesman,...:rolleyes:

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 11
this will only add distortion

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
If a "reputable" member of Head-Fi, with more than 1 or 2 posts, reviews this I'd consider it. Now, considering the posters in this thread who extol it's benefits & sq, I'd consider it spam.
Get someone with time & Head-Fi cred in here and we can deal. Make sense to you now? You sound like a salesman,...
rolleyes.gif

many people said the same thing to me and asked if i want to be a sales man; however, i'm not that interested in this field.  I'm just surprised that not many people on headfi mentioning about this app among other EQs.
I'm looking for experts who could prove that this app is not worthy among EQs then it would make my day.
This thread right now is considered spam so i guess anyone interested from now could come here http://www.head-fi.org/t/633162/aphexs-audio-xciter-loving-this-app-with-my-yamaha-eph-100-on-my-iphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back