Audio Valve RKV or MPX3?
Sep 10, 2009 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
Audio Valve RKV MkII had been my dream amp since like a decade ago, and at one point I came very close to buying one on faith. Somehow, I ended up with my current PPX3-6CG7 which I am enjoying quite a lot. Just recently, upgrade bug has awakened from its hibernation prompting me to get a new DAC, HD650 cable, a pair of AD2000. The last thing on my short list of new toys was a new tube amp, partially driven by cheap SP amps popping up in the FS section.

Then I discovered SP amps, due to their OTL design, are not the most optimal for low impedance cans (AD2000 for now, possibly D7000 in the near future). Given the situation of having a mix of high and low impedance cans (HD580, HD600, K701, AD2000). Woo6 looked like a reasonable choice for well balanced sound, and consulting other head-fiers confirmed this initial notion. This, coupled with the obvious, well documented problems with SP amps have tipped the scale in Woo's favor as far as suggestions go.

After I finished reading more of earlier threads comparing the MPX3, Extreme and Woo6, however, I was under impression that the three were progressively less tubey going from MPX3 to Woo6, in that order. Another tidbit I was also told was that AD2000s sound their best with SS amps. Luckily, I happen to have this amp built by a competent DIYer that sounded quite good with my HD650 back when it was working; it just needs a new on/off switch that I bought but never got around to install. My priority for the amp upgraded has shifted back toward HD650 in mind, and I don't think I will be satisfied with something more "SS-ish" for that. This is also the reason why I am leaning more towards MPX3 between the two SP amps. When it comes to customer support, I am moving out of the states within a next couple of months, without any immediate plans for coming back in the near future (or ever?). If I do go down the SP path, I will make sure either the amp has already been serviced for safety/longevity, or get that done ASAP. Should there be a need to have the unit repaired, I doubt it would be any easier for either one, especially when I am not the one doing it, lacking soldering skills and all.

Seeing how all the amps in the SP lineup have plummeled in value, I concluded I like my PPX3 well enough to keep it alongside the new one. What that means is that the new amp should bring something different enough to the table to justify its coexsistence. That is not to say I am looking for a radical departure - I like PPX3 quite a lot after all. Although I never had any experience with any of the MPX3 variants, most say it is a step up from a PPX3, more refined and smoother, laid-back, more tube-like, etc. Just a bit worried that either I may find it not engaging enough for my tastes, or too similar to PPX3. (Feel free to comment on this, please
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Somehow, I reminded myself of my intrest in the Audio Valve amp, and discovered their going price was surprisingly low, possibly within my projected budget ($6-700 and lower, used). I have read Kelly's a bit dated, yet excellent review on the amp. Just about everyone who had an amp commended it on the magical, seducive midrange to die for. Rolled off highs are fine by me, my tube selection on the PPX3 already has some of that anyway. Faster and more refined soudning SP amps on the other hand, are known for their unique ability to sound very different with tuberolling. While I can't comment on how good or bad my PPX3 sounds in relation to other amps, this being my first and only tube amp ever, I know it sounds quite different with different tubes even to my fairly untrained ears. Both PPX3/MPX3 are regarded to be on the warm side of the neutral, so in my mind it seems I got the more neutral type of tube amps kinda covered with the PPX3. Can MPX3 be tuberolled to have mids equally euphoric as that of the RKV MK II? Perhaps equally important is, the cost of getting the right MPX3 tubes for the job - I consider that to be the part of the budget for the whole package, unless they come from the previous owner. Luckily many sellers seem to include a good heap of tubes when they sell off their SP amps.

For those of you that had a luxury of owning both of these amps, what do you think is a more 'sensible' or 'appreciable' upagrade for me, assuming the main use will be for HD650, and PPX will stay as a complimentary amp? I know it sounds like a terribly vague way to seek subjective findings. Still, I had to throw it out there to get some responses. If PPX3 is 'good enough' and not so much different from a MPX3 in general (though they vary a lot from unit to unit I suppose), then RKV sounds more attractive. But if that's not the case, then oh well
smily_headphones1.gif
At the moment, I am not even worried about the impedanzer at this point; I heard it works well with low-impedance cans, but that comes at a hefty price... Last but not least, I am still interested in WA6 and Extreme as well (or consonance cyber 30, CSP2, etc), as long as a used one turns up and price is right. Descriptive remarks on why exactly you like one over the other for HD650 would be welcome, not the reliability problem that I am already aware and mentioned in this post.

To shed a light on what I find desirable in headphones/amps, this is how I see different phones on my PPX3 (6GU7):
- I don't hear the senn 'veil'. I liked my brief encounter with the SR60, but I still have no clue what this 'veil' business is about.
- HD600 sounds quite colored (not necessarily in a bad way) and a bit more soothing and relaxing, the more engaging HD650 can have a bit of edginess in comparison.
- But I like the impact of HD650's bass, and more importantly, tonality is more natural and better to me (better than anything I heard, for that matter).
- K701 are definitely cleaner sounding, lacking that slight bass bloat sometimes present on the HD650.
- At the same time, K701's sound lacks body, barely enough for some tracks, flat out deficient on others. Definitely not as fun or immsersive listen as HD650s
- At first I was wowed at its unique soundstage (wide, 3D), but the more I hear it, the less coherent it feels. Highs are a bit 'metallic' or tinny sounding, bit too edgy.
- Overall, HD650 sounds best all-around, most immersive (emotional?) experience as a whole and equally good on faster lively tunes and slower mellow tunes.
- On HD650, stock cables were a touch warm, generally good, albeit a bit muddy. Silver Dragon sounded constricted, bright, and very fatiguing. Headphile silvers solunded open, relaxing, a bit light but quite good. Ended up with Alex's cable (before he established his APS brand), and have Double Helix cables on order.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 10
I guess RKVs are pretty rare these days. In fact there was another thread with the same title, almost identical word for word, except that thread wasn't enough to answer my own question... oh well.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 10
The RKV is an AMAZING amp. Should you be fortunate enough to find one for sale at a reasonable (or not) price, you should jump all over it. They are very difficult to find.

Once found, though, the tubes are dirt cheap. So in the long run, it'll be less costly than the MPX3 with the expensive 6SN7 tubes.

Both are very musical and listenable amps, with the SP leaning more toward neutral. The RKV is a VERY powerful amp. It'll manhandle any can thrown at it. It even brings the bass out in cans like the K500/01.

Musical.

Good luck in finding one.

Sep 12, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 10
I hope you're not thinking of buying a Singlepower amp new? Just checking as the odd person turns up who has completely missed the recent SP drama.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you're not thinking of buying a Singlepower amp new? Just checking as the odd person turns up who has completely missed the recent SP drama.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myself
If I do go down the SP path, I will make sure either the amp has already been serviced for safety/longevity, or get that done ASAP.

I read enough of the stickied threads to know full well about it, thank you for heads up though
smily_headphones1.gif
I am looking exclusively at used ones only anyway, for obvious reasons ($$$).

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 10
FYI, you will need to pick up an impedancer to go along with the RKV MKII if you plan to use lower impedance phones b/c the RKV make most lower impedance headphones to hum. I owned the RKV about 5 years back and it was a great amp. Definitely lush and warm and on the dark side of neutral. The bass is definitely one of this amp strong point. I think a maxed out MPX3 should sound better than the RKV. Of course, be sure to read up on the SP fiasco.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI, you will need to pick up an impedancer to go along with the RKV MKII if you plan to use lower impedance phones b/c the RKV make most lower impedance headphones to hum. I owned the RKV about 5 years back and it was a great amp. Definitely lush and warm and on the dark side of neutral. The bass is definitely one of this amp strong point. I think a maxed out MPX3 should sound better than the RKV. Of course, be sure to read up on the SP fiasco.

Maybe I should go back and research what upgrades were possible for MPX3, these seem to vary quite a lot in price depending on the mods done to them.

As for the impedancer, at this point I am only thinking of pairing it up with the HD650, unless I find the SS amp inadequate on the AD2000.

I was at first almost settled on MPX3, then just about everything I have seen about RKV seemed to sing the praise to RKV's mids. Can MPX3 get as euphoric? In a word, what did you like about it more than the RKV? I hear RKV can get a bit too lush, or too rolled off in highs.

Thanks for the kind reminder, I will re-read those threads just to be sure if I do decide on the Singlepower amp.

Sep 12, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I should go back and research what upgrades were possible for MPX3, these seem to vary quite a lot in price depending on the mods done to them.

As for the impedancer, at this point I am only thinking of pairing it up with the HD650, unless I find the SS amp inadequate on the AD2000.

I was at first almost settled on MPX3, then just about everything I have seen about RKV seemed to sing the praise to RKV's mids. Can MPX3 get as euphoric? In a word, what did you like about it more than the RKV? I hear RKV can get a bit too lush, or too rolled off in highs.

Thanks for the kind reminder, I will re-read those threads just to be sure if I do decide on the Singlepower amp.

I sold my RKV MKII right after I auditioned a stock Single Power SDS. The MPX3 can match and come close to RKV sound signature with a black Kenrad 6SN7GT on the input tube Sylvania VT231 as outputs tubes. The RKV is good to tame bright headphones due to its dark and lush signature. Yes, the RKV can be too lushed and a bit rolled off in highs.

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 10
I see, MPX3 is starting to sound like a good alternative again. What's your take on the Extreme? With right tuberolling, can it be tuned to sound similar to the other two? IIRC, it is more powerful, dynamic, SS-like in sound, and more responsive to tube rolling. Being less picky about the headphones being paired up sounded like its main draw.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 10
The MPX3 can be a great sounding amp! Of course I would buy it used and with internal pictures to ascertain it has the mods as indicated (Mikhail was known to not perform the mods he was paid for). Also make sure it has had any issues (transformer, drain resistors, diodes, etc.) completed.

FWIW my unit has had the following mods done to it and as you add the prices that Mikhail used to charge it adds up to a large number. To this you add power cable, herbies halos, tube adapters at $100 each, plus tubes.

> Stock MPX3: $1299
> 2nd Input: $99
> Pre-amp out: $119
> Gold Point Attenuator: $295
> Solen Power Upgrade: $69
> Black Gate Cathode By-Pass Caps: $400
> Black Gate Output Caps: $400
> V-Caps Coupling Caps: $400
> Supra Transformer: $400
> Two 2,400 uF power caps: $299 (this are even larger than the stock Supra caps)
> Blackgate Bypass Capacitors: $169
> GRAND TOTAL OF: $3949

In closing do your research/review before buying one. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back