Audio troglodyte seeks compassion: Simple questions on using wireless headphones--RS170 or RS180--with a Bose Wave Soundlink
Nov 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kkm9

New Head-Fier
I'm a 64 year old retired lady who

a)  wears hearing aids, and
b)  gave up components for a Bose Wave Soundlink system 3 years ago, weary of wire spaghetti, and
c)  now needs wireless headphones, deciding between Sennheiser RS170 & RS180
d)  is choosing the Sennheiser RS170 or 180 to not exceed budget or the capability of the Bose box

Feel free to bash away. The Bose sound is adequate for my hearing ability.

My setup is:

1.  Panny Plasma connected to Sony Blu-Ray & a Comcast DVR, w/dual audio-out wire connected from TV to (bluetooth) Bose box
     (about 10-11' from where I sit) Bose box has available headphone jack on back.  
2.  music is stored via iTunes on external HD connected to MacBook Pro
3.  Apple wifi tower about 4' to left of where I sit
4.  Bose remote lets me switch between sound coming from TV or music from computer using AUX button

Need:
Listen to everything from 1960 poor quality Dylan to remastered classical, jazz, country, pop, rock. Tenant works on phone nearby during day
& I can't play the music as loud as I'd like. Hence, headphones.  

Questions:

1.  Extensive research led to a review saying these Sennheiser's 'don't work with Comcast DVR'. I don't know if that's because she tried to plug the headphone transmitter directly into the Comcast DVR or not. If I plug the transmitter into my Bose box & use headphones, will my Bose remote still let me switch between TV / DVR/ DVD sound and music from computer?

2.  Will my wifi tower 4' away create signal interference w/the headphones?

3.  Does it matter how far from the Bose box I set up the headphone transmitter (to avoid interference). 

4.  Essentially, will this work for me?  I'm trying to ensure before buying that the headphones function as I want them to, without having to get up and walk across the room whenever I switch from TV sound to music. If there's an alternative you prefer and feel isn't too good to waste on a Bose box, I'm open.

5.  Experience here with 170 vs 180 to share?

Thanks for your patience with boring questions.

Karen

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 3
There should be no problem hooking any wireless headphone up to a Comcast DVR.
Either directly to the Comcast DVR or with a optical cable ($10) and a Fiio D3 optical DAC ($27).
I'm guessing your Panasonic Plasma has an optical output, so wireless headphones should also be able to be hooked up to it..
Can't find an audio output jack on the Bose.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 3
Thank you for responding.

Since posting this, I called Bose and was told that because the Bose Wave uses bluetooth signal to connect to my MacBook Pro, and hence to my iTunes library, I am limited to using bluetooth headphones.

I've done enough research here and other places to know that no bluetooth headphones come close to comparability with the Sennheiser's.

While I doubt anyone here would have a clue, on the off chance someone knows of a 'best' option for bluetooth wireless headphones, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Karen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back