Audio-Technica's Take on the Microdriver: ATH-CKN50 and CKN70
Mar 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #76 of 294
Just got my CKN70's today, and I'm very impressed with them so far. Low end is much more present than the CKN50's, though it's a little fat -- hopefully this will straighten out with time (though if it doesn't, it's not a deal-breaker). Mids are reasonably forward, and the highs are typical A-T highs, nicely perched on the edge of crisp but not harsh or sibilant. Overall the sound is very full and energetic; the soundstage seems perfectly situated too (not too wide, not too narrow). And best of all, these follow in the tradition of the CKN50's and CKM500's of, to me at least, needing absolutely zero EQ to sound great. They come with the same tips as the CKN50's, which aren't horrible, but aren't great either (I put a new set of Complys on right away; S400's fit perfectly). The only real bummer to me is that they don't come in white.

Overall, CKN70's are winners. I haven't found an A-T in-ear that I don't like, but these are the best I've heard so far.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #79 of 294
any comparison with the gr07? 
size]

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #80 of 294
I thought about the blue ones, but didn't like that the cables were also blue.

And sorry, I haven't heard the GR07's...I can only compare them against CKN50's, CKM500's, SE210's and SE425's. Head-Fi hasn't completely gotten to my wallet yet. 
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #81 of 294
Yay, CKN70's and FXD80-Z's have landed! :D

Edit: Okay, these two obviously do not sound the same.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #83 of 294
Quote:
Yeah, mids will sound more forward on the 70's, 80's will sound more recessed.

Mmm definitely. Makes me wonder how the FXD70 and the CKN70 compare!

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #84 of 294
Quote:
Yay, CKN70's and FXD80-Z's have landed! :D

Edit: Okay, these two obviously do not sound the same.

Will you be doing a comparison between the two? I'm looking forward to your next video review on these earphones.
Great work by the way! Keep it up

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #85 of 294
Quote:

Will you be doing a comparison between the two? I'm looking forward to your next video review on these earphones.
Great work by the way! Keep it up

Eventually I will, but I am really busy at the moment with my studies :frowning2: Thanks though!

Mar 12, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #87 of 294
I'm sorta enjoying the CKN70's so far, but honestly these IEM's have one of the worst cable quality / price ratios of any IEM I've ever tried. I thought the Final Audio Heaven A was bad but the CKN70's cable is stiff, microphonic and has retained the memory of being packed into the box even after this many days of use. -__-

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #89 of 294
I'm finding that at lower volumes I like the CKN70 - its mellow, throaty and rich. Sort of uncharacteristic for AT, though I guess a lot of their consumer gear (ES7 / ES700) is similar.

At higher volumes it starts to get a little shrill and messy - there is a definite sibilant note.

It kind of reminds me of really nice mp4nation Brainwav Betas heh.

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #90 of 294
Quote:
Can you compare them against the CKM500? Thanks in advance. :)

Honestly, I like the CKN70 just a bit better. It's just more engaging, more fun. It has the same amount of bass as the CKM500's but it's a bit tighter, the highs are a little more transparent, and the mids are more forward. I also like the smaller housings (the CKM500's are uncomfortable for me unless positioned just right), though I'll agree with the others on the J-cord.

If you're trying to choose between buying the CKM500 and the CKN70, I'd say go for the CKN70. If you already have a pair of CKM500's and are pondering an upgrade, I'd only go for it if you've got the money burning a hole in your pocket. I started out on my Audio-Technica IEM journey with CKM500s and I still like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back